Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 03:58 AM   #1
SilverCivicSi98
CF Newbie

Mitsubishi Eclipse vs. Supra

Which do you think looks, performs, and is overall better? An older Mitsubishi Eclipse (95-98) or a Supra?

Ya, I had to swerve, but I got it.

When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

Member of the unofficial Vwhobo fan club.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:57 AM   #2
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

Is this a joke?

Supra:
Normally Aspirated, Turbo, or twin turbo 6 cylinder
Rear wheel drive

Eclipse:
Normally aspirated 4 banger
front wheel drive

Those are just the basics, need I say more?
Old 05-27-2004, 06:15 AM   #3
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

WRONG!

is this a joke?

supra - either n/a, single or turbo RWD

eclipse gs/rs - n/a L4 FWD
gst - turbo FWD
gsx - turbo AWD

there are some factors that you seem to have missed... the eclipse is a lot lighter, and if you take the GSX, its AWD... taking off HARD, the supra far heavier, and only RWD, since the wight isnt in the back it cant take of as hard without spinning the meats (tires).... there are many factors to say... so i think you "need say more"
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

Old 05-27-2004, 06:49 AM   #4
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda6man
WRONG!

is this a joke?

supra - either n/a, single or turbo RWD

eclipse gs/rs - n/a L4 FWD
gst - turbo FWD
gsx - turbo AWD

there are some factors that you seem to have missed... the eclipse is a lot lighter, and if you take the GSX, its AWD... taking off HARD, the supra far heavier, and only RWD, since the wight isnt in the back it cant take of as hard without spinning the meats (tires).... there are many factors to say... so i think you "need say more"

Actually, thank you. I wasn't even aware an awd model existed. I guess I was wrong.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:09 AM   #5
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCivicSi98
Which do you think looks, performs, and is overall better? An older Mitsubishi Eclipse (95-98) or a Supra?

I'm sorry but this is a good candidate for the thread entitled..."Dumbest questions you've ever heard" or something like that.

Can we move away from these questions asked around the monkey bars or the slide...

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
Old 05-27-2004, 03:34 PM   #6
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCivicSi98

supra looks better, probably has more potential, and is generally found to be 500+hp these days.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:15 AM   #7
nitehawk_87
CF Newbie

dunno about performance
but i found a red eclipse spyder
pretty schweet
although i dont know if it looks better than a supra

Sign at a gas station:
we collect taxes-federal, provincial, and municipal
we also sell gas on the side
Old 05-28-2004, 01:16 AM   #8
nitehawk_87
CF Newbie

oh and ask Jeff God of Biskut
hes seemingly in luv with eclipses

Sign at a gas station:
we collect taxes-federal, provincial, and municipal
we also sell gas on the side
Old 05-28-2004, 11:02 PM   #9
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abless
Actually, thank you. I wasn't even aware an awd model existed. I guess I was wrong.

dont worry, its cool... i didnt mean to sound like a butthead, but its fun to get people on mistakes everynow and then

Old 05-30-2004, 07:40 AM   #10
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind

I think that the eclipse looks alot better then the Supra. Its just personal preference, but i do not like the design of the Supra. Performance wise, it depends on how much money do you want to put into it. The 1998 Eclipse GSX runs 210hp with 4WD. The weight to power ratio is much better in the Eclipse, the supra is one heavy sob. And plus the Eclipse runs the 4G63 which is the same general engine as the evo, but without all the expensive mods and the more sophisticated suspension system. So, if you were to put a average amount of money into it (7-10k) you can get the Eclipse faster and better handling. But if you spend any more then that, you can get the Supra faster easily, it has a way bigger engine. Anyways, thats my
Old 05-31-2004, 03:46 AM   #11
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

most everything that has to do with a car depends on about 3 things... how much money you have, what you do with the money, and how well you do it

Old 05-31-2004, 07:02 PM   #12
Inygknok
El del Supra

for any of u that keep track of the import world and all that DSM and JMD, etc,m kraze, then u should know the complete and true answer to this. the truth is that its alot cheaper to tune an Eclipse than a Supra, theres no doubt about it, but ask any DSM owner n put them to a lie detector test and ask them, how many times has it broken down. those cars suffer from something serious called the crankwalk and 2 other major problems if i remember right. wat is crankwalk u ask? this is when the crank wears into the thrust bearing n eventually moves the trigger plate into some sensor (cant remember its name), it breaks it, n shuts the damn car down. no reason for this event has been found yet, but can be found alot more commonly in cars with heavy pedal pressures. still, thats not the end of their problems, they have many more. for some reason, they love breaking down alot. so in the end, while at the beginning its gonna be alot cheaper to tune one of these than a Supra, in the end, the Supra is a toyota, which u know that is going to last a very long time, while the Eclipse is gonna keep breaking down n cost u a fortune. who cares about AWD and RWD? the truth is, good sticky wide tires in the Supra can make it almost as good as the AWD. theres something called limited slip differentials, which will stop the rubber burns ¶
Old 05-31-2004, 07:13 PM   #13
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
for any of u that keep track of the import world and all that DSM and JMD, etc,m kraze, then u should know the complete and true answer to this. the truth is that its alot cheaper to tune an Eclipse than a Supra, theres no doubt about it, but ask any DSM owner n put them to a lie detector test and ask them, how many times has it broken down. those cars suffer from something serious called the crankwalk and 2 other major problems if i remember right. wat is crankwalk u ask? this is when the crank wears into the thrust bearing n eventually moves the trigger plate into some sensor (cant remember its name), it breaks it, n shuts the damn car down. no reason for this event has been found yet, but can be found alot more commonly in cars with heavy pedal pressures. still, thats not the end of their problems, they have many more. for some reason, they love breaking down alot. so in the end, while at the beginning its gonna be alot cheaper to tune one of these than a Supra, in the end, the Supra is a toyota, which u know that is going to last a very long time, while the Eclipse is gonna keep breaking down n cost u a fortune. who cares about AWD and RWD? the truth is, good sticky wide tires in the Supra can make it almost as good as the AWD. theres something called limited slip differentials, which will stop the rubber burns ¶
Thanx for the insight, I prefer the RWD of the Supra myself anyway....but then the Mitsubishi isn't sold in the UK, so who am I to judge lol...Oh, and lie detectors only accept yes/no answers lol

Copper: "Tell me sir...how many times has your Supra broken down?"

Supra owner: "No"

Copper: "Throw him in the cells"

Sorry, couldn't resist lol

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 05-31-2004 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:28 AM   #14
xX-CaR-mAsTa-Xx
CF Newbie

supra is defenatly better
Old 06-04-2004, 04:54 PM   #15
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
who cares about AWD and RWD? the truth is, good sticky wide tires in the Supra can make it almost as good as the AWD. theres something called limited slip differentials, which will stop the rubber burns ¶
UMMMMM.. OK.. HERE GOES.. LSD's don't stop the tyres spinning, they distribute the torque evenly between two drive-shafts.. Whether these be to two prop shafts or two half-shafts is irrelative because a well tuned 3.0 Twin Turbo’d Supra will dislodge any amount of road legal rubber you can put on it.. Sometimes it is better to have 2 wheel drive only because this reduces the weight and also means the car is less lightly to cook the clutch when launching it..

Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it...
R34RB30DETTV AKA Sam - Vice-President, Director, Manager and Recruiter of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
Original Members: Snoope, SJ, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty, Integra_LS, Sam. (If you still want to join, send me a PM )
Closed Thread