Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2004, 03:38 AM   #1
rep16
CF Newbie

1972 Pontiac Catalina

I have found an ad for one, and am thinking of getting it for my first car.

Not knowing much about cars, I was wondering, is $1000 or so good for this? It says that the trans was recently replaced. The body looks pretty worn, but the ad says the mechanical stuff is in working order.

If you need more info I'll try to provide.

btw 1500 is about the absolute max I could spend on a car.

Thanks in advance.
rep16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 08:29 PM   #2
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

well, it depends...if it's got anything less than a big block in it I wouldn't waste my time on it. if it's got the 400, 421SD, or 455 then it would definitely be worth it...I have driven a '71 catalina and it had a 455 in it bone stock...that thing was a tire-frying machine. Catalina's are land-yachts, but the big blocks help out a lot in getting those bears rolling. If it's a big block you should jump on it(assuming that the mechanicals really ARE in good shape). You put a posi in the rear as well as some good gears and fat tires and you'll be dancing right off the line.

-Don
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 11:34 PM   #3
rep16
CF Newbie

Quote:
Red with black top, top was replaced a few years ago. Bench seat, All stock V8 engine, 38,000 original miles? AC, replace raditor, replaced automatic transmission, rear brakes rebuilt from the rear axle to the front master. rear springs and rear shocks were replaced. 4 very good radial tires, body is rough and needs a lot of work but frame is in good shape. Car runs good and drives nice like a cadillac on the highway. An affordable potential classic and a good project car!

That is what it says in the ad. What exactly does 'original miles' mean?
Old 05-31-2004, 06:22 AM   #4
Sick88Tbird

"Original Miles" means thats all the mileage thats on the car...the odometer has rolled over or anything...........that engine should still run like new if the carb is tuned properly and the timing is set right. If you don't mind doing some body panel replacement, a paint job, and having the interior redone you'd have a pretty sweet ride.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:23 PM   #5
rep16
CF Newbie

Awesome. Thanks for all the help, I'll go try to convince my parents to get it now.(I still have to buy it...but they still have to LET me buy it )

edit: One last thing. 'Bench seats' are those stupid ones that go all the way across the car, right? Are they replaceable?

Last edited by rep16 : 05-31-2004 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:36 PM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rep16
Awesome. Thanks for all the help, I'll go try to convince my parents to get it now.(I still have to buy it...but they still have to LET me buy it )

edit: One last thing. 'Bench seats' are those stupid ones that go all the way across the car, right? Are they replaceable?
Shouldn't be a problem to replace, depends really, are you wanting to replace it with normal seats?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 04:43 PM   #7
rep16
CF Newbie

Yes, but it would be a while. I'm as broke as...well...a broke guy...
Old 06-01-2004, 01:39 AM   #8
Sick88Tbird

leave the bench seat man, that way you and you're girl don't have to climb in the back....pure convenience