Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2004, 02:32 AM   #1
likuid
CF Newbie
 
likuid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Cali
Posts: 9
Replacing Brake pads?

So I've noticed that i have to press down harder on my brakes before it slows down. Heh, i've been getting a lot of close calls where i almost hit the car in front of me. I was wondering where can i learn to replace my brake pads. Is it a simple job to learn to do or do i have to get a license mechanic? If so how much would it cost me?
__________________

"Let it ride, Let it ride"
likuid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 04:17 AM   #2
KNTRDR
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 74
You don't have to be a licensed mechanic. Just pick up a Haynes or Chilton manual for your car, get a jack and axle stand, get the pads and whatever other brake parts you may need, and proceed to change your brake pads.
__________________
Adam
KNTRDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 04:51 AM   #3
likuid
CF Newbie
 
likuid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Cali
Posts: 9
heh k Do i only have to replace the pads? Or is there some other parts?
__________________

"Let it ride, Let it ride"
likuid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 08:44 AM   #4
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
Unless you are down to the rivets, the brakes should still grab. If your pads are glazed then you should also have the rotors ground to make the rings dissappear and eliminate any pads deposits, otherwise you will be back to where you are in a short space of time.

I would also suggest changing brake fluid whenever you change pads.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 10:27 AM   #5
likuid
CF Newbie
 
likuid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Cali
Posts: 9
Okay thanks!
__________________

"Let it ride, Let it ride"
likuid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 11:26 AM   #6
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Somewhere in the Southeastern U.S.
Posts: 1,067
The safe wear limit on most brake pads and shoes is 2/32 (1/16) inch

Is the pedal firm or spongy as you push it further?

While you are working on the brake system, go ahead and inspect for leakage around the wheel cylinders and or caliper - If you notice brake fluid or wet areas, more work will need to be done
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 06:03 PM   #7
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Unless you are down to the rivets, the brakes should still grab. If your pads are glazed then you should also have the rotors ground to make the rings dissappear and eliminate any pads deposits, otherwise you will be back to where you are in a short space of time.

I would also suggest changing brake fluid whenever you change pads.

CHANGE THE BRAKE FLUID WHEN YOU CHANGE THE PADS?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????? DUDE, YOU NEED TO STOP MIS-INFORMING THESE PEOPLE!!!! WHERE IS THE HELL ARE YOU FROM AND PLEASE GO BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!THIS GUY IS TRYING TO LEARN AND YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE HIM OUT THERE F**KING UP HIS CAR'S BRAKES SYSTEM BY TRYING TO CHANGE HIS FLUID. FACT OF THE MATTER IS THIS......BRAKE FLUID DOES NOT EVER NEED CHANGING UNLESS THE FLUID BECOMES CONTAMINATED BY MOISTURE OR FOREIGN MATTER OR SOME OTHER FACTOR. JUST TO CHANGE YOUR PADS DOES NOT EVER REQ. FLUID CHANGE. AS A MATTER OF FACT, YOU SHOULD INSPECT YOUR FLUID LEVEL BY LOOKING AT THE FLUID TANK AND NOT EVER EVEN OPENING IT BECAUSE BRAKE FLUID IS LIKE A SPONGE TO MOISTURE. YOU SURE DO HAVE A LOT OF ADVISE TO GIVE THESE POOR PEOPLE THAT ARE ON HERE TRYING TO SEEK THE CORRECT ANSWERS, IT IS TOO BAD THAT 85% OF WHAT YOU SAY ON HERE IS INCORRECT TO A FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!

FOLKS, TAKE A LOOK AT WHAT WALLY HAD TO SAY ABOUT "WARPED BRAKE ROTORS" IN THE R/M SECTION TOO!!! GOD HELP THIS GUY.
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 08:10 PM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeseadoin
CHANGE THE BRAKE FLUID WHEN YOU CHANGE THE PADS?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????? DUDE, YOU NEED TO STOP MIS-INFORMING THESE PEOPLE!!!! WHERE IS THE HELL ARE YOU FROM AND PLEASE GO BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!THIS GUY IS TRYING TO LEARN AND YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE HIM OUT THERE F**KING UP HIS CAR'S BRAKES SYSTEM BY TRYING TO CHANGE HIS FLUID. FACT OF THE MATTER IS THIS......BRAKE FLUID DOES NOT EVER NEED CHANGING UNLESS THE FLUID BECOMES CONTAMINATED BY MOISTURE OR FOREIGN MATTER OR SOME OTHER FACTOR. JUST TO CHANGE YOUR PADS DOES NOT EVER REQ. FLUID CHANGE. AS A MATTER OF FACT, YOU SHOULD INSPECT YOUR FLUID LEVEL BY LOOKING AT THE FLUID TANK AND NOT EVER EVEN OPENING IT BECAUSE BRAKE FLUID IS LIKE A SPONGE TO MOISTURE. YOU SURE DO HAVE A LOT OF ADVISE TO GIVE THESE POOR PEOPLE THAT ARE ON HERE TRYING TO SEEK THE CORRECT ANSWERS, IT IS TOO BAD THAT 85% OF WHAT YOU SAY ON HERE IS INCORRECT TO A FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!

FOLKS, TAKE A LOOK AT WHAT WALLY HAD TO SAY ABOUT "WARPED BRAKE ROTORS" IN THE R/M SECTION TOO!!! GOD HELP THIS GUY.
I hope you were joking by the highlighted part I quoted you on.....most brake fluid needs to be changed at 6,000 mile intervals, or so. Brake fluid, as does most other stuff, wears out, and over time the boiling point drops, this can cause brake fade, if you've ever used the correct equipment to test brake fluid, you'd know this already!
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 06-01-2004 at 11:03 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 11:01 PM   #9
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Somewhere in the Southeastern U.S.
Posts: 1,067
I have only seen one manufacturer specify brake fluid changes (Mazda) but it was a a 60000 mile interval or something like that on an 86 model 626. Some people do it because brake fluid does attract moisture.

I never have changed fluid as a maintenance item nor is changing the fluid a mandatory part of brake pad repacement ervice . Much of the fluid is removed when removing fluid to bottom the calipers or opening the bleed valve during caliper bottoming as is done on a car with ABS

Last edited by tbaxleyjr : 06-01-2004 at 11:04 PM.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 11:36 PM   #10
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
I have only seen one manufacturer specify brake fluid changes (Mazda) but it was a a 60000 mile interval or something like that on an 86 model 626. Some people do it because brake fluid does attract moisture.

I never have changed fluid as a maintenance item nor is changing the fluid a mandatory part of brake pad repacement ervice . Much of the fluid is removed when removing fluid to bottom the calipers or opening the bleed valve during caliper bottoming as is done on a car with ABS
Sorry, I meant to say either 30,000 to 60,000...I just had the lower figures on the brain lol, In the UK at least, we have equipment to test brake fluid, the minimum temperature for dot4 to fall to is 155 deg C....the lowest for Dot5 is 175 deg C....and the lowest for Dot5.1 (which is race orientated fluid) is 189 deg. When Dot3 was around, that too was 155 deg C for it's minumum temperature. Also, I've just researched some old service records we used to keep at the garage and brake fluid must be changed onve every three years regardless of mileage, or if you reach 36,000miles before three years...that's the point to change it at

Edit: My Astra I used to have, once dropped to 12...yes 12 Deg C!....that's the serverity of keeping an eye on your brake fluid!
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 06-01-2004 at 11:40 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 01:33 AM   #11
DodgeRida67
Banned
 
DodgeRida67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jackson, Georgia
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by likuid
heh k Do i only have to replace the pads? Or is there some other parts?

Look, don't attempt to change the brake pads yourself not even know the answer to the question you just asked. That's a not a flame, just highly recommened safty advice. You only get one chance to get it right when you need your brakes and need them to work properly.

However, it is a strait-foward job. I started doing brakes when I was 8 with a little help. If you want to attempt it, atleast have someone there watching you that knows a little something about brakes.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 01:38 AM   #12
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
Look, don't attempt to change the brake pads yourself not even know the answer to the question you just asked. That's a not a flame, just highly recommened safty advice. You only get one chance to get it right when you need your brakes and need them to work properly.

However, it is a strait-foward job. I started doing brakes when I was 8 with a little help. If you want to attempt it, atleast have someone there watching you that knows a little something about brakes.
While you're correct to warn likuid about the safty side of things, most brake pads are soooo straight forward to change, that even a bloke with half a brain could carry it out...You just have to remember to tighten everthing up properly. The only pads that can cause problems are rear ones, that and some front ones can damage the master cylinder if you squeeze the piston in the caliper back too quickly, to be on the safe side, remove the top from the fluid resevoir first, dont worry if you see brake fluid dripping under the car, it's just overflowed!
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 06:33 AM   #13
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeseadoin
CHANGE THE BRAKE FLUID WHEN YOU CHANGE THE PADS?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????? DUDE, YOU NEED TO STOP MIS-INFORMING THESE PEOPLE!!!! WHERE IS THE HELL ARE YOU FROM AND PLEASE GO BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!THIS GUY IS TRYING TO LEARN AND YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE HIM OUT THERE F**KING UP HIS CAR'S BRAKES SYSTEM BY TRYING TO CHANGE HIS FLUID. FACT OF THE MATTER IS THIS......BRAKE FLUID DOES NOT EVER NEED CHANGING UNLESS THE FLUID BECOMES CONTAMINATED BY MOISTURE OR FOREIGN MATTER OR SOME OTHER FACTOR. JUST TO CHANGE YOUR PADS DOES NOT EVER REQ. FLUID CHANGE. AS A MATTER OF FACT, YOU SHOULD INSPECT YOUR FLUID LEVEL BY LOOKING AT THE FLUID TANK AND NOT EVER EVEN OPENING IT BECAUSE BRAKE FLUID IS LIKE A SPONGE TO MOISTURE. YOU SURE DO HAVE A LOT OF ADVISE TO GIVE THESE POOR PEOPLE THAT ARE ON HERE TRYING TO SEEK THE CORRECT ANSWERS, IT IS TOO BAD THAT 85% OF WHAT YOU SAY ON HERE IS INCORRECT TO A FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!

FOLKS, TAKE A LOOK AT WHAT WALLY HAD TO SAY ABOUT "WARPED BRAKE ROTORS" IN THE R/M SECTION TOO!!! GOD HELP THIS GUY.

Anyone who thinks you're a mug's no fool eh? You are a dangerous person who obviously enjoys admonishing people who do not agree with your ingrained lack of knowledge.

I think you have made some of the most significantly ignorant comments in that one post than I have ever seen posted.

My recommendation to anyone taking this imbecile's advice is to consult with a professional mechanic or engineer before employing any of his dangerous practices.

cmeseadoin you are a menace and should stop taking whatever you are taking.


likuid do not just take my word for it. Do some research and discover how brake fluid is affected by heat, moisture, etc. A fluid change is very quick if done by a mechanic with the right tools. Even ignorant original car makers like GM and Ford have scheduled service intervals for brake fluid, mainly because they haven't been enlightened by the oracle cmeseadoin .
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 08:07 AM   #14
likuid
CF Newbie
 
likuid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Cali
Posts: 9
Okay, I'm gonna go get the fluid checked at a shop but I'm gonna try to do the pads myself. Thanks for the advice everybody
__________________

"Let it ride, Let it ride"
likuid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 10:35 PM   #15
DodgeRida67
Banned
 
DodgeRida67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jackson, Georgia
Posts: 2,056
Sure you should change your brake fluid but not with every damn pad change.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.