Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2004, 06:28 AM   #1
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

inlines and boxers and v's, OH MY!

Hey guys, figured I'd see what engine configuration you like best and for what reasons......

I'm a personal fan of big displacement inline 6's, decent power, good torque, excellent durability.

Boxers(horizontally opposed) on the other hand have been working great for porsche and subaru.....decent power, not too much experience with them though so I don't know how they are as far as durability is concerned.

V-type engines......well, that's what I grew up on...big cast iron V-8's, just a big soft spot in my heart for'em.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 06:28 PM   #2
importluva
Obsessed with imports

I suppose each has its merits and loyal followers, but i have driven/owned a subaru previously, and i just love the growl of the boxer engine. Also, it gives the car a low center of gravity, allowing for better handling, in addition to the smoothness of the engine.

But i also wouldnt mind the V-6 in the 350z, it is very versatile and has won many awards. In the end, i have yet to drive any nissan with the VQ engine, so i must still give the nod to Subaru's H-4 engine.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:37 PM   #3
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick88Tbird
Hey guys, figured I'd see what engine configuration you like best and for what reasons......

I'm a personal fan of big displacement inline 6's, decent power, good torque, excellent durability.

Boxers(horizontally opposed) on the other hand have been working great for porsche and subaru.....decent power, not too much experience with them though so I don't know how they are as far as durability is concerned.

V-type engines......well, that's what I grew up on...big cast iron V-8's, just a big soft spot in my heart for'em.

Well they all have there pros and cons, i prefer light weight high power so really stick with I4 but V8's are a good way to go as the more cylinders you have the more theroetically effcent the engine is but, by the time you add in the heat problems and lack of development in the field then doesnt really add up.

Torque kings have to be the straight 6's thats why most truck in europe have I6's.
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 10:35 PM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

I've always been a fan of BMW's inline 6 cylinder engines myself, I think they offer impecable reliability along with a smooth power band, they are also more refined than most V6 engines of similar pedigree. I also love big block American V8 engines purely for the noise they make

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 01:50 AM   #5
Sick88Tbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqyg
Well they all have there pros and cons, i prefer light weight high power so really stick with I4 but V8's are a good way to go as the more cylinders you have the more theroetically effcent the engine is but, by the time you add in the heat problems and lack of development in the field then doesnt really add up.

Torque kings have to be the straight 6's thats why most truck in europe have I6's.

I'd like to know what you consider "high-power" over there in England......

comparing the efficiency of two different engines by the number of cyl's each has really isn't fair...it's like comparing apples to oranges, the best way to compare the engines would be hp/liter.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:55 AM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:

comparing the efficiency of two different engines by the number of cyl's each has really isn't fair...it's like comparing apples to oranges, the best way to compare the engines would be hp/liter.
When he say's light wieght high power, he probably means cars such as the Seat Leon CupraR...which has 225bhp from it's 1.8litre 4cylinder Turbo engine, or he could be talking about light wieght kit cars such as the Caterham7 or Earial Atom which focus more on the power-weight ratio that out right power

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 03:47 AM   #7
Sick88Tbird

Yeah, I was looking at it through American eyes. I guess if you're weighing in at 2200lbs(1000kg) or less, 200 or so hp feels like a lot........

When you're driving a car weighing close to 2-tons, 200hp doesn't feel like much. I guess it's all a matter of perception.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:36 PM   #8
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:

the cylinders point, well it is more efficent for the same capacity engine to be spred over more cyclinders, this is due to alot of factors but mainly complete conbustion is more easily achived in a smaller volume, therfore if you have lots of small volumes ie cyl. Then its more effient then one big one for example.

The high power point is about right. If you want a fast car then it is better from many aspects of perfomance to reduce the weight than increase the power.

Over here in the not so sunny uk we have loverly little 2 seater which would thrash the pants off a most "muscle" cars mainly because they are lighter and nibler. The numbers also come out at about 850-900 bhp/ton because they use space frame composite chasis which with a guy in it is under 500kg (1200lb), and the little 3 litre V8 which is really 2 super bike inline 4's straped together puts out about 350 -400bhp. I guess they arnt your typical street engine, they pull away from lights at 9000rpm and peak power is in between 12000-16000 rpm. You cant tow anything with it, you cant fit any shopping in the car, you wouldnt want to be a pasenger for long distances or try and drive when your tired. but its the total drivers car, you dont need a stereo, heater, electirc windows, electric seats or mirros, airconditioning. anything likr that its about you and your machine.

I wish i had enough cash to build one in the usa and see what sort of an impact it might make on the streets of america.
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 05:52 AM   #9
Supra_Jen
CF Newbie

I prefer an inline 6

but that is just me!

-Jenny

Dont get my when u see the ponytail.
Supra_Jen is offline   Reply With Quote