Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2004, 10:48 PM   #1
dougszteam
CF Newbie

Cooling a 455 Big Block

Looking for some radiator advice for a 455 big block recently dropped into a 79 TA. Stock radiator from the 403 is leaking and needs to be replaced. Any suggestions?
dougszteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 12:10 AM   #2
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougszteam
Looking for some radiator advice for a 455 big block recently dropped into a 79 TA. Stock radiator from the 403 is leaking and needs to be replaced. Any suggestions?

Did the stock radiator keep it cool?
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 03:58 AM   #3
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

I'd recommend replacing the radiator with an OE style radiator, nothing fancy...that as well as a decent electric fan will do the job quite well.

-Don
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 01:49 PM   #4
cinqyg
CF Freak

There are lots of rads around get an ally one and think about a oil cooler. The electric fan is definately the way to go a push sull system is the best, just make sure the pull is more than the push.
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 02:29 PM   #5
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Get the largest one that will fit.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 02:40 PM   #6
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman352001
Get the largest one that will fit.

biger isnt always better, its what you do with it that counts

There are 2 considerations here, stationary and moving. You need to work out how much cooling you need in each case. if you put in a huge rad it might work great when your stationary but if there are airflow problems then when its moving then you could end up doing more harm than good. Also remember that if you upgrade any part of any sytem you have to consider the impact on other coponents. so you might need a bigger res or pump you might need bonnet vents. I am sure you get the idea.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:52 PM   #7
decap66
CF Newbie

Just drive faster...bigger is better big radiator, big hoses, big fans.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:02 PM   #8
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by decap66
And the point in that reply was.....?

Anyway, what are your main uses for the car? is it a daily driver or a track creation?

Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it...
R34RB30DETTV AKA Sam - Vice-President, Director, Manager and Recruiter of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
Original Members: Snoope, SJ, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty, Integra_LS, Sam. (If you still want to join, send me a PM )
R34RB30DETTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 05:40 PM   #9
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:

well if bigger is better, bring a muscle car to a track and ill proceed to wipe the floor with something not much bigger than a roller skate
Old 06-05-2004, 04:52 PM   #10
decap66
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqyg
well if bigger is better, bring a muscle car to a track and ill proceed to wipe the floor with something not much bigger than a roller skate
I probably deserved that...there is alot of truth in your statement and only a little in mine. I can't realy argue with the power to weight ratio of a smaller car. Although a big radiator it good could be better, it could possibaly cool the engine to much while driving down the road.

Last edited by decap66 : 06-06-2004 at 02:39 PM.
decap66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 08:15 PM   #11
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
I probably deserved that...there is alot of truth in your statement and only a little in mine. I can't realy argue with the power to weight ratio of a smaller car. Although a big radiator it good it could possibaly cool the engine to much while driving down the road.

Well this is why i am saying fit a thermostatly controled cooling sytem which is independednt of the engine as it was origionally calibrated for particular parts. Also remeber that the bigger the rad the longer it will take to warm up so it might introduce problems with passing emisions tests as this is why the jag V12 was withdrawn as it used more coolant than the south china sea.

If you fit a big rad this can sometimes prevent airflow around it and thus do more harm than good. this is why it would be better to look at the system as a whole and do a proper job than just stick in a bigger radiator.

There are many simple solutions but as i previously said you need to find a solution which suits both static and moving conditions as over cooling can be a problem and the air flow issue.