Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2004, 11:00 PM   #1
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac
 
R34RB30DETTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SE England.. you?
Posts: 604
Corvette or Skyline...?

Ok, to make this clear to begin with, THIS IS NOT a post to see whether Japanese or American cars are better, it is to compare two (or three, depending upon how you look at it) modern day super cars and their pros and cons. The cars in question are the C5/ZO6 corvettes and the R34 GT-R V spec Nissan skyline. What I want to know are the various advantages/disadvantages of these two cars and of course peoples experiences with these cars.

Corvette:
ZO6 0-60 around 4.1 secs
C5 0-60 around 4.6 secs
Straight-line speed is unrivaled by the skyline
Engine is tunable to BHP fast in excess of that of the skyline
2 seater super car, less practical but who cares…



Skyline.
0-60 5.1 secs
Unrivaled handling
4 wheel drive gives excellent launches
4 seater super car, more practical but the car weights 100lbs more because of it.

(theres alot i've left out. but i can't remember what it is right now.. )
Feel free to add what ever you see fit. Thanks.
__________________

Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it...
R34RB30DETTV AKA Sam - Vice-President, Director, Manager and Recruiter of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
Original Members: Snoope, SJ, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty, Integra_LS, Sam. (If you still want to join, send me a PM )
R34RB30DETTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 11:04 PM   #2
SuperJew
I like pie.
 
SuperJew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Suburbia Central, New York
Posts: 2,584
do you want opinion or fact-based which is better?

My Opinion: I prefer the 'Vette, as i prefer V8 power.

Facts: it depends on what you want and need...if you have a family of 4 the Skyline would be better. if you're a bachelor the 'Vette would be more practical. in a way.
__________________


CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 11:32 PM   #3
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac
 
R34RB30DETTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SE England.. you?
Posts: 604
lol, na SJ, i don't have a family, hell i don't even have a girlfriend right now!! (i'm working on that one, but i'm more confused about girls than i am about these two cars...) i really liked the idea of a skyline before i read the imports Vs american muscle, but like you i now prefer the idea of V8 power, plus over here in the UK i think a vette will be a little more special. i suppose what i am really after is a car which i can tune into a road legal race car. i was looking at the 1/4 mile times for the two cars, and a 725bhp vette is about equal to a 1100bhp skyline. if i need something for towing i have my dads 4x4 and if i need a saloon i can jus borrow the car i have at the moment that my mum is going to have once i buy my next car.. all that worries me really is the handling, but i suppose a suspension package will sort that out easily enough.. oh, and i was kinda after fact based opinions about the cars.. if that makes much sense.. thanks.
__________________

Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it...
R34RB30DETTV AKA Sam - Vice-President, Director, Manager and Recruiter of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
Original Members: Snoope, SJ, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty, Integra_LS, Sam. (If you still want to join, send me a PM )
R34RB30DETTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 12:32 AM   #4
archangle
CF Enthusiast
 
archangle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: ocala florida
Posts: 103
I chose the Corvette.
archangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 05:31 AM   #5
boosted99si
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8
Hard decision the Vette is the shit the Skyline is to me a completely differant car. The skyline has all the moder technology all wheel drive comes turbod so easy to upgrade. They are aslo very uncommon to see compared to vettes whcih i see like ten every day the Vette is for people who want to go fast the skyline is for people who have enough money to wipe there ass with and like very exotic cars. So IMO its a tie.
boosted99si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 09:35 AM   #6
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac
 
R34RB30DETTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SE England.. you?
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted99si
Hard decision the Vette is the shit the Skyline is to me a completely differant car. The skyline has all the moder technology all wheel drive comes turbod so easy to upgrade. They are aslo very uncommon to see compared to vettes whcih i see like ten every day the Vette is for people who want to go fast the skyline is for people who have enough money to wipe there ass with and like very exotic cars. So IMO its a tie.

hmmm... thats why i started this thread coz i couldn't decide which was the better car. over here i see a vette or a skyline no more often than once every month or so.. also i think if you say you drive a skyline some/most people who arn't fluent in cars will wonder what it is, where as if you say you have a vette, people will definatly know what that is..
__________________

Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it...
R34RB30DETTV AKA Sam - Vice-President, Director, Manager and Recruiter of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
Original Members: Snoope, SJ, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty, Integra_LS, Sam. (If you still want to join, send me a PM )
R34RB30DETTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 09:56 AM   #7
[>.<]
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2
depends

it all depends what your doing with the car... if ur a dragster (no skill all money) the vette is wat you want... if your a driver with skill (drifting) youll prefer the skyline... anyone can drag... not everyone ca drift...
"speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it... " <-----wrong speed doesnt kill... thats right but... its the shitty drivers out there that do... learn how to drive mofos

Last edited by [>.<] : 03-12-2004 at 09:58 AM.
[>.<] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 11:21 AM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by [>.<]
it all depends what your doing with the car... if ur a dragster (no skill all money) the vette is wat you want... if your a driver with skill (drifting) youll prefer the skyline... anyone can drag... not everyone ca drift...
"speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it... " <-----wrong speed doesnt kill... thats right but... its the shitty drivers out there that do... learn how to drive mofos
Ha! In your case learning to produce complete sentences and think critically would be a good first step. If you had even a reasonable grip on the facts, you'd know that drag racing requires just as much skill as drifting, they are just DIFFERENT skills. And if you think it takes more money to build a drag car than a drift car you are seriously lost.

Go back and read your magazines a little bit closer.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 01:26 PM   #9
jzxTT
CF Addict
 
jzxTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Near by
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by [>.<]
it all depends what your doing with the car... if ur a dragster (no skill all money) the vette is wat you want... if your a driver with skill (drifting) youll prefer the skyline... anyone can drag... not everyone ca drift...
"speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it... " <-----wrong speed doesnt kill... thats right but... its the shitty drivers out there that do... learn how to drive mofos
Someone failed english 8. . Get use to his assault If your gonna keep making stupid comments, I for one have no room to talk so just think before you speak.
btw. hobo, you know anything about rotory engines? Im looking to buy an FC, you know of anyone that can rebuild or sell cheap 13B's?
__________________
please wait. . .
jzxTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 03:43 PM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzxTT
Someone failed english 8. . Get use to his assault If your gonna keep making stupid comments, I for one have no room to talk so just think before you speak.
btw. hobo, you know anything about rotory engines? Im looking to buy an FC, you know of anyone that can rebuild or sell cheap 13B's?
I probably know just a little bit more about rotaries than I'll admit to, but I won't admit to knowing very much. My guess is if you wait around a little while some chest beater will come along and tell you all about them whether their information is correct or not.

As for where to get one built, I know there are several places in the states who can handle that in a professional manner but can't make any personal recomendations. Your best bet would be to search the net and make some calls.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 04:21 PM   #11
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by [>.<]
it all depends what your doing with the car... if ur a dragster (no skill all money) the vette is wat you want... if your a driver with skill (drifting) youll prefer the skyline... anyone can drag... not everyone ca drift...
"speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it... " <-----wrong speed doesnt kill... thats right but... its the shitty drivers out there that do... learn how to drive mofos

Normally I'm one to defend drifting as being a skill sport. But in your case, I'm going to tell you to put down the video games and join the real world before spouting of idiotic (and mostly incomprehensible) crap.

Drifiting isn NOT about handling prowess. it's about driver skill in holding a car that is past it's traction limits to a defined course. it's impressive, it's skillful, but it is NOT about handling.

And if you're the kind of crack baby that thinks a Corvette is only about drag racing because it's A) American and B) a V8 car, you really need to join the real world.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 04:48 PM   #12
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzxTT
btw. hobo, you know anything about rotory engines? Im looking to buy an FC, you know of anyone that can rebuild or sell cheap 13B's?

Ok, one of the first things I'll tell you is that you don't really want to have a local shop repairing your rotary, unless you're right next to Pettit Racing, Rotary Engineering, or Peter Farrell. But all of them are expensive.

Cheap rotary rebuilds (or cheap used rotaries) is an oxymoron. A cheap rebuild will last you a month if your'e lucky. A cheap used one might last longer, or it might last a few minutes.

The best current source of reliable rebuilt rotaries at a good price is Pineapple Racing: http://www.pineappleracing.com Seriously, if these guys had been around when my FC died, it might not have ever ended up a V8 car. these guys seriously know what they are doing. Their prices are failry reasonable and most importantly, they are warrantied.

To learn more about rotaries, go to http://www.rotaryengineillustrated.com/index.html Good animations, and info on stock engines and info about all the different performance porting types. I can give you other info too, as I've owned an R100, RX2, 2 RX3s, 2 first gen RX7s and an FC RX7 that I raced in rotary form for the first year I owned it (before I converted it to a V8 powered autocross/street monster). I've rebuilt a few 12As as well as an early 13B (the 4 port version originally found in the RX4) for one of my early RX7s. Back in the day, it was dirt cheap to rebuild the engines. In the early '90s, it got real expensive for a while.

I also have all the specs on autocross alignment, and some other things to look for when looking for an FC (whether turbo or N/A). The turbo cars are the best for drivetrain and suspension, with much stouter parts all around, including larger brakes and swaybars. The sport and GTUs models have the brakes and suspension of the Turbos (4 piston finned aluminum front calipers and vented disks on all 4 corners), but don't have the heavier duty differntials and axles. As it turns out, however, even the N/A drivetrain parts are plenty strong. But the brakes are important.

There are 2 different FC series. the S4 ('86-88) and the S5 (89-91). A number of changes occured betweeen series, which can make it a PITA to swap parts sometimes. N/A engines went from 145 hp to 165 hp, and turbo engines went from 185 to 200 hp. Front bodywork changed, as did taillights. The electrical system is different, with the later cars being much less problematic. the later cars are slightly heavier, however, though the GTUs is very similar to the first year Sport model, in that it has less weight than the rest of the line (though you could still find them optioned up). If you get really concerned with weight, there is a rather random distribution of cars with aluminum hoods, which weighed a fraction of what the steel hood did. personally i feel that teh S5 cars are better for daily driveing, while teh S4 cars are better to make race cars from. In either case, heavily modded engines are NOT as reliable as other kinds of engines. Stock N/A ones CAN be reliable, but after about 120k, it's a crap shoot as to whether it'll die this week or 5 years from now...

Part of the issue is that rotaries don't need a lot of octane to keep from detonating, but they can't run lean. At all. Even one little "ping" can destroy an apex seal. Overheating them is very bad. And either of those two situations is the usual downfall of rotary cars of any year. There are other things that can go wrong, and most are documented on the team FC3S site.

Here's my FC when it was still in rotary form, right after I set it up for autocross...



This was after it was painted, but still in rotary form...



So, vwhobo, was that chest beating enough?
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 07:08 PM   #13
Integra_LS
CF Enthusiast
 
Integra_LS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 177
Okay, I'm going to go back to the original subject.

Comparing a V-8 vette, to a I-6 Skyline is kind of an odd comparison. I would rather drive a Skyline than a Corvette personally, but its not just because I like the skyline more. One reason being the gearbox would be on the left hand side, I am right handed, so I would feel more comfortable driving with my right and shifting with my left(of course both hands go on the wheel after the shift). As far as power, the vette has the skyline stomped, but as far as visual aesthetics, I think the Skyline Looks better. As far as drifting, I'm sure you could make a vette into a damn good drift car. But, you can also make a skyline a damn good drag car. I would say it is purely up to what kind of person you are, if you like big muscle with low gas mileage, get the vette, if you like I-6's that get moderate gas mileage, with decent performance and excellent handling, skylines would be your thing.

The vette is way more bang for your buck, considering getting a skyline r34 in america is atleast 20,000$ more than a vette z06.

Personally, my favorite car is the 4 door skylines.
__________________
Face down...

<Power to Weight>



Integra_LS - Member of the unofficial vwhobo fan
Integra_LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 07:28 PM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra_LS
Okay, I'm going to go back to the original subject.

Comparing a V-8 vette, to a I-6 Skyline is kind of an odd comparison. I would rather drive a Skyline than a Corvette personally, but its not just because I like the skyline more. One reason being the gearbox would be on the left hand side, I am right handed, so I would feel more comfortable driving with my right and shifting with my left(of course both hands go on the wheel after the shift). As far as power, the vette has the skyline stomped, but as far as visual aesthetics, I think the Skyline Looks better. As far as drifting, I'm sure you could make a vette into a damn good drift car. But, you can also make a skyline a damn good drag car. I would say it is purely up to what kind of person you are, if you like big muscle with low gas mileage, get the vette, if you like I-6's that get moderate gas mileage, with decent performance and excellent handling, skylines would be your thing.

The vette is way more bang for your buck, considering getting a skyline r34 in america is atleast 20,000$ more than a vette z06.

Personally, my favorite car is the 4 door skylines.
Do you now or have you ever driven a RHD car? When you do you just might find out you feel LESS comfortable shifting with you left hand. While your assumption may be correct, you're using faulty logic to reach your conclusion.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 07:32 PM   #15
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue
 
BavarianWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 3,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Do you now or have you ever driven a RHD car? When you do you just might find out you feel LESS comfortable shifting with you left hand. While your assumption may be correct, you're using faulty logic to reach your conclusion.

I know I've never driven a RHD vehicle (nor have I sat in one)...are the pedals in the same config as LHD or are they mirrored?

It would feel REALLY odd to depress the clutch with my right foot and the "go" pedal with my left!

I realize how ignorant this question is...btw.
.
.
__________________

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2

Last edited by BavarianWheels : 03-12-2004 at 07:34 PM.
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.