Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2004, 02:54 AM   #1
Damage inc.
CF Newbie

1966 mustang fastback

i'm gonna start savin up for my first car soon...i'm lookin at a 1966 mustang fastback...will the normal 289 engine be very powerfull?

whats the biggest engine, and best trans possible to stuff into a 66 fastback?
Damage inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 10:41 AM   #2
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage inc.
i'm gonna start savin up for my first car soon...i'm lookin at a 1966 mustang fastback...will the normal 289 engine be very powerfull?

you can fit a rolls royce trent engine in if you realy want but you will need deep pokets and big brakes!
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 04:48 PM   #3
decap66
CF Newbie

Quote:

I have a 66' fastback with a 460 Big block with dual double pump Holley 4-barrels, and a 32 cu in. blower. It has a Dana-spicer 4-speed manual racing kit. My dad bought it for me when i was 15, and we worked on it together. It has so much power it's illegal to drive on the street. If you are not surious on power you can get a 302 BOSS and it has lots of hp and tourqe. The BOSS kit alows you to hook nos up to it. 302's are cheap kits and parts are easy to find.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:58 PM   #4
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by decap66
It has so much power it's illegal to drive on the street. .
Exacly how much Hp are we looking at here?

Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it...
R34RB30DETTV AKA Sam - Vice-President, Director, Manager and Recruiter of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
Original Members: Snoope, SJ, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty, Integra_LS, Sam. (If you still want to join, send me a PM )
R34RB30DETTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 05:21 PM   #5
decap66
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by R34RB30DETTV
Exacly how much Hp are we looking at here?
Havn't dynoed it yet but i am sure it's alot. I know it is over 500hp for sure. That is the hp limit for cars in my state or that's what i was told. The insurance agent laughed at me when i wanted to insure it, so it sits in our shop. When we got done i was 16. the insurance was about $350 a month and i had to pay my own insurance. so i bought $200 beater car. So i could drive to school. I just know it's fast.

Last edited by decap66 : 06-04-2004 at 05:26 PM.
decap66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 08:35 PM   #6
Damage inc.
CF Newbie

wow......so i can beef the he|| outta it......i'm so happy....someone laughed at me at school cuse i said i wanted to beef it up, so i started having doubts.....anyway.....kewl....thanks...when i do get it and beef it up...i'll throw some pics up and let ya'll know how it went

thanks a lot
Damage inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 08:39 PM   #7
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac

Quote:
Havn't dynoed it yet but i am sure it's alot. I know it is over 500hp for sure. That is the hp limit for cars in my state or that's what i was told. The insurance agent laughed at me when i wanted to insure it, so it sits in our shop. When we got done i was 16. the insurance was about $350 a month and i had to pay my own insurance. so i bought $200 beater car. So i could drive to school. I just know it's fast.

You have a limit on max BHP?? That SUCKS!!!

Quote:
wow......so i can beef the he|| outta it......i'm so happy....someone laughed at me at school cuse i said i wanted to beef it up, so i started having doubts.....anyway.....kewl....thanks...when i do get it and beef it up...i'll throw some pics up and let ya'll know how it went

thanks a lot

Good luck man.. Hope it goes well.. Looking forward to the pics!!

Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it...
R34RB30DETTV AKA Sam - Vice-President, Director, Manager and Recruiter of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
Original Members: Snoope, SJ, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty, Integra_LS, Sam. (If you still want to join, send me a PM )
R34RB30DETTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 04:39 PM   #8
decap66
CF Newbie

Quote:

thanks a lot
Yeh Alot i did some looking on the net there are lots of site. Just look for "Ford engine specs" you will find lots of sites. The base hp for our engine is about 435hp without the blower and extras. I have always loved mustangs i am going to try and find a Shelby GT but they are hard to find. Believe it or Not - Ford produced one of the first domestic rear engine production cars in 1971 called the Pantera. It had a modified 302. The best advatage was that the weight was on the rear tire so it stuck to the race track and lots of room for other mods or bigger engines.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:03 PM   #9
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Yeh Alot i did some looking on the net there are lots of site. Just look for "Ford engine specs" you will find lots of sites. The base hp for our engine is about 435hp without the blower and extras. I have always loved mustangs i am going to try and find a Shelby GT but they are hard to find. Believe it or Not - Ford produced one of the first domestic rear engine production cars in 1971 called the Pantera. It had a modified 302. The best advatage was that the weight was on the rear tire so it stuck to the race track and lots of room for other mods or bigger engines.

Was it rear or mid engined?
Old 06-06-2004, 02:19 PM   #10
decap66
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqyg
Was it rear or mid engined?

It was a rear engine. It was designed by De Tomaso if you don't know who that is...you might reconise the similarites of the Lamborgini and Farrari.

Old 06-09-2004, 08:07 PM   #11
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

Hey Damage Inc.

Stay away from anything bigger than a 351 Windsor...nothing else will fit UNLESS you do some serious work to the inner-fenderwells and relocate some suspension components. A buddy of mine in high school had a '66 notch back stang with the 289 2bbl in it....it was a dog. I helped him slap on a good 4bbl intake as well as a holley 4bbl 600cfm carb and a cam...he put on full length headers as well as a 2.5" dual exhaust system. Needless to say he went from running high 17's to low high 14's with stock gearing and a whooped C4 trans. The car was still very streetable, he did have a little problem getting off the line but then again he had a stock torque converter with that nasty cam. It's all about parts selection...don't fall into the "bigger is better" trap. If you match your cam to your intake/carb as well as your headers size and primary tube length you can make some good hp out of that little 289.

Also...ford racing performance sells a slew of 5.0L crate engines that will bolt right in, all you'll have to do is put on an intake/carb, headers, and an ignition system. That's probably the cheapest and easiest way to go.

Good luck!
-Don
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 08:04 PM   #12
Voda48
CF Lance Fan

Well one thing is for sure..... get rid of the 289! I like what Cliffy had to say and think that would be a great idea.

Also sorry whoever it is that had the restriction on HP. Is that a state ordinance or just the fact that you can't get the car insured?
Old 06-11-2004, 10:59 PM   #13
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
It was a rear engine. It was designed by De Tomaso if you don't know who that is...you might reconise the similarites of the Lamborgini and Farrari.

Right yes, sorry my brain wasnt engaged, venturi 260 is another similar werid creation
Old 06-15-2004, 06:51 PM   #14
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

I have yet to see a state with illegal hp statutes. I've BUILT big block Fords (a number of 460s) including street engines with over 600 hp and 700 lb ft of torque. Not only were they not illegal, they weren't even unstreetable.

Now, that engine might be illegal in a street car if the car you put it in is newer than, say, '78 or so in an emissions testing state, but other than that, there isn't a state that says you can't have a 500+ hp car on the street. Especially in a '66 Mustang.

You can make decent power from teh 289, but swapping to a 302 is a bolt in, and it's very easy to get huge power from a 302. Dropping anything larger than a 302 in an early Mustang requires some sheetmetal work to the shock towers. Even the 351W is tight in a '65 (though it's been done many times).
The chassis was changed slightly in '67 to allow the 390/427/428 to fit, but that's a tight fit.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 10:50 AM   #15
decap66
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
I have yet to see a state with illegal hp statutes. I've BUILT big block Fords (a number of 460s) including street engines with over 600 hp and 700 lb ft of torque. Not only were they not illegal, they weren't even unstreetable.

Now, that engine might be illegal in a street car if the car you put it in is newer than, say, '78 or so in an emissions testing state, but other than that, there isn't a state that says you can't have a 500+ hp car on the street. Especially in a '66 Mustang.

You can make decent power from teh 289, but swapping to a 302 is a bolt in, and it's very easy to get huge power from a 302. Dropping anything larger than a 302 in an early Mustang requires some sheetmetal work to the shock towers. Even the 351W is tight in a '65 (though it's been done many times).
The chassis was changed slightly in '67 to allow the 390/427/428 to fit, but that's a tight fit.

I am starting to think it is an insurance risk to the companies. I don't see any many people driving high hp cars around in my town. I am investigating the matter now that you said that it's not illegal.