Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2004, 05:43 AM   #1
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind
 
aerith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 541
Evo or IS300?

Ok, i am getting either one of these cars in the next two years. Of course not new, used I cannot afford either new :P Anways, since these cars are similiar in price, which one would you get? We are talking about the leather interior version of the Evo by the way. And i am in North America as you see, so its the US spec Evo, w/o the ACD and the titanium turbo. Anyways, which one?
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 06:32 AM   #2
importluva
Obsessed with imports
 
importluva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerith
Ok, i am getting either one of these cars in the next two years. Of course not new, used I cannot afford either new :P Anways, since these cars are similiar in price, which one would you get? We are talking about the leather interior version of the Evo by the way. And i am in North America as you see, so its the US spec Evo, w/o the ACD and the titanium turbo. Anyways, which one?

apples and oranges imo.
lexus def has a very nice interior and features, but a weakened version of the 2jz motor. bolt-ons wont get you crap, but f/i will get you somewhere. you can even do swaps from supras and really make this car a beast, but it'll take plenty of moolah.

the evo is a pure track car with loads of cheap potential. the IS has potential too, but much more expensive. Hell, simple boltons in the evo wil get you into 12s in the 1/4, no such luck with the IS. but its a tradeoff, the evo is a track car only, very little to offer in terms of comfort and everday drivability.

either way, they are both good cars.

EDIT: hehe, forgot to pick one

Id say go with the IS if there is any warranty left. Take advantage of lexus' reputation for great service, then when you have the money, mod the hell of out it. you can make this baby as badass as a supra. 600+rwhp easy, but it'll cost $15kUSD+.
The reason i say no to the evo is b/c, well, mitsu is not my fav of companies. Poor management, comparatively worse customer service, the STi is better , and questions about reliability. Lexus is unrivaled in reliability, so i say go with the IS.
__________________
AJ
BB6
FC3S

Last edited by importluva : 06-05-2004 at 06:44 AM.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 06:55 AM   #3
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind
 
aerith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 541
hmmm...I am kind of leaning toward the Evo, because i do not only get AWD, i also get the rarity of the Evo. And the leather Recaro seats are pretty comfortable from what i heard. But cant beat a lexus interior huh? I am not that serious man, i do not need 600whp. hahah But with the IS, ou get the ability to drift easier, but its not like im going to anyways, such an expensive car with such expensive tires. Well, i guess i just have to wait and see which is cheaper.
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 07:01 AM   #4
importluva
Obsessed with imports
 
importluva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerith
hmmm...I am kind of leaning toward the Evo, because i do not only get AWD, i also get the rarity of the Evo. And the leather Recaro seats are pretty comfortable from what i heard. But cant beat a lexus interior huh? I am not that serious man, i do not need 600whp. hahah But with the IS, ou get the ability to drift easier, but its not like im going to anyways, such an expensive car with such expensive tires. Well, i guess i just have to wait and see which is cheaper.

yea, and get dominated by sti owners well, atleast until the evo remains stock. i say the lexus will last longer than the evo, build quality and bullet proof 2jz motor own the evo, not to mention the daily drivability factor that goes to the lexus. anywho, ill let you make your own decision.
__________________
AJ
BB6
FC3S
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 07:07 AM   #5
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind
 
aerith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 541
can we plz not start on evo vs sti? cuz both of dem are gd cars. i like da evo cuz dey handle better and better ergonomics and more rare, but dats personal preference. But the STi has the power 300 big ones.
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 08:36 AM   #6
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac
 
R34RB30DETTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SE England.. you?
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
yea, and get dominated by sti owners
Only in America.. In the UK we have just received a new 400bhp version and there is rumor of a 500bhp version on it's way where as the Scooby is "struggling" along with just 315bhp..
Anyway.. ask yourself these questions:-

(Iím thinking of the UK spec Evo's so I may get 1 or 2 things wrong!!!)

- Do you want economy? 15mpg..
- Do you mind a VERY hard ride in the Evo?
- Do you like straight-line speed or good handling? (Evo best compromise of both)
- Last of all, which model do you prefer with the Evo?

You need look no further than my sig to see my preferance!!

Over here an Evo VII Extreme (339bhp and 350 lbf torque) was tested and it was described as "possibly the fastest road car ever".. Now obviously that is not exactly true but it will keep up with cars costing 3 times it's price...
__________________

Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it...
R34RB30DETTV AKA Sam - Vice-President, Director, Manager and Recruiter of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
Original Members: Snoope, SJ, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty, Integra_LS, Sam. (If you still want to join, send me a PM )

Last edited by R34RB30DETTV : 06-05-2004 at 08:41 AM.
R34RB30DETTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 02:46 PM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Importluva's right when he says it's like comparing apples to oranges, they are very different cars, but if I had to recomend one it would be the Lexus, bear in mind I'm speaking from your point of view here, aerith. If you wont be racing it I really cant see the advantage of getting the Evo, I would select the Evo if it was me though, but that's probably because my needs are very different to yours lol. The advantage in my opinion, of the Luxus for you is the RWD....If you really need to drift lol
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 05:19 PM   #8
importluva
Obsessed with imports
 
importluva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by R34RB30DETTV
Only in America.. In the UK we have just received a new 400bhp version and there is rumor of a 500bhp version on it's way where as the Scooby is "struggling" along with just 315bhp..

i think mitsu will release the evo MR here real soon, so mitsu can claim the "upper hand" in america too. no biggie tho, i would never buy a mitsu anyway.

i think the STi is the perfect blend of performance, handling on any surface, daily drivability, practicality of a sedan, and at a good price.
__________________
AJ
BB6
FC3S

Last edited by importluva : 06-05-2004 at 05:21 PM.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 11:05 PM   #9
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind
 
aerith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 541
hahah, yea i could drift...except if i break or dent something, it would cost ALOT to fix. I could always take my friend's old 240 and drift if i wanted to. The Evo is more comfortable then the STi here. The Recaros are more supportive and the momo wheel in the evo is nicer as well. If you can find the leather interior version of the evo here, it just completely owns the sti in the interior anyways. Black and grey color scheme with leather side panel trim as well. VERY NICE!! I live in Canada people, the Evo has not been officially released yet, but we can import it from the states. But the STi is EVERYWHERE! I see one everyday, not that it is not a pleasant sight, it is just that i would rather have something more rare. And with the IS300 i cannot drive in the snow...when we do have any which is hardly (that might be hard to believe to the stereotypical views of Canada). But it is better to be ready.

So the bottom line is, i will see which is cheaper
If i am lucky ill find a cheap Evo with an salvage title and import it and fix it myself. That way, it is all the more sweeter
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 11:29 PM   #10
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac
 
R34RB30DETTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SE England.. you?
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerith
hahah, yea i could drift...except if i break or dent something, it would cost ALOT to fix. I could always take my friend's old 240 and drift if i wanted to. The Evo is more comfortable then the STi here. The Recaros are more supportive and the momo wheel in the evo is nicer as well. If you can find the leather interior version of the evo here, it just completely owns the sti in the interior anyways. Black and grey color scheme with leather side panel trim as well. VERY NICE!! I live in Canada people, the Evo has not been officially released yet, but we can import it from the states. But the STi is EVERYWHERE! I see one everyday, not that it is not a pleasant sight, it is just that i would rather have something more rare. And with the IS300 i cannot drive in the snow...when we do have any which is hardly (that might be hard to believe to the stereotypical views of Canada). But it is better to be ready.

So the bottom line is, i will see which is cheaper
If i am lucky ill find a cheap Evo with an salvage title and import it and fix it myself. That way, it is all the more sweeter
Really? all the reviews i have read have said that the STi had a better interior.. But it wasn't the leather interior in the EVO.. Oh well, i guess it's your personal preferance.. All the Evo's I've been in/driven have has the cloth interior because they were the really high performance versions and the leather doensn't hold you in the seat quite so well...
__________________

Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it...
R34RB30DETTV AKA Sam - Vice-President, Director, Manager and Recruiter of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
Original Members: Snoope, SJ, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty, Integra_LS, Sam. (If you still want to join, send me a PM )

Last edited by R34RB30DETTV : 06-05-2004 at 11:31 PM.
R34RB30DETTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 12:01 AM   #11
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind
 
aerith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 541
The US spec Evolution is more comfortable because we get the wider Recaro Bucket seats made for the american that live on a diet of KFC, lol. Yeah, but if you are paying over 30k USD you would want to get something that looks nice and performs nice. I would rather have the leather version even though it doesnt grip as well, because it just looks so damn nice. Well the seats are not all leather the middle is actually a seude material so it is more racy and grippy.
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 09:26 AM   #12
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac
 
R34RB30DETTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SE England.. you?
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerith
The US spec Evolution is more comfortable because we get the wider Recaro Bucket seats made for the american that live on a diet of KFC, lol. Yeah, but if you are paying over 30k USD you would want to get something that looks nice and performs nice. I would rather have the leather version even though it doesnt grip as well, because it just looks so damn nice. Well the seats are not all leather the middle is actually a seude material so it is more racy and grippy.
OOOOOHHHHHHH!!! You mean the leather trim around the edges? Yeah, the ones i've been in have had that but i thought you meant a complete leather seat.. Thought you had an option we didn't there!! However i have seen complete leather seats in an Evo and thought you meant those...
__________________

Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it...
R34RB30DETTV AKA Sam - Vice-President, Director, Manager and Recruiter of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
Original Members: Snoope, SJ, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty, Integra_LS, Sam. (If you still want to join, send me a PM )
R34RB30DETTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 07:35 AM   #13
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind
 
aerith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 541
Well, it is a luxury for us now, at least for Americans so far. I am still stuck up here in Canada "evolution-less." But i think that the Evolution line is going to be launched here this fall. Does anyone know if that is true? I know for sure that the Lancer Evolution, RS, and MR is going to be launched in the states this fall. But i am not sure about in Canada.
__________________


--2004 Acura TL Dynamic--
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 03:56 PM   #14
Ki2AY
CF's Pond Scum
 
Ki2AY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Francisco CA.
Posts: 708
if you ask me, i'd go for the EVO
__________________
Ki2AY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 04:41 PM   #15
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac
 
R34RB30DETTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SE England.. you?
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerith
Well, it is a luxury for us now, at least for Americans so far. I am still stuck up here in Canada "evolution-less." But i think that the Evolution line is going to be launched here this fall. Does anyone know if that is true? I know for sure that the Lancer Evolution, RS, and MR is going to be launched in the states this fall. But i am not sure about in Canada.
Do you have a "local" Mitsu dealship? Best thing to do it to drive over to them and ask them in person and also pick up some brochures on the car and get a quote and ask any other questions you may have.. Don't just ring them, you will get much better service if you go to them in person..
__________________

Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it...
R34RB30DETTV AKA Sam - Vice-President, Director, Manager and Recruiter of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
Original Members: Snoope, SJ, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty, Integra_LS, Sam. (If you still want to join, send me a PM )
R34RB30DETTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.