Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2004, 03:51 AM   #1
zipper
CF Newbie
 
zipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: US
Posts: 76
Used or New

This has probably been discussed to death but I was wondering buy used or new; Pro and Cons. My parents hate used cars for some reason. I beg to differ but I can't win.
zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 03:56 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper
This has probably been discussed to death but I was wondering buy used or new; Pro and Cons. My parents hate used cars for some reason. I beg to differ but I can't win.
It all depends on what you want out of your car really, for example, the average new car loses 50% of it's value the minute it leaves the show room!....However, buy a used vehicle and chances are it'll be alot cheaper to purchase in the first place, and it would have already lost it's 50% value so you shouldn't suffer come resale time!

So I'd recomend a used car, although it would have to be a fairly new model for you to benefit from it (for warentee and reliability perposes). It's always a nice feeling to be driving a brand spanking new car though! (Not that I ever have....not my own anyways lol)
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 05:16 AM   #3
importluva
Obsessed with imports
 
importluva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
It all depends on what you want out of your car really, for example, the average new car loses 50% of it's value the minute it leaves the show room!....However, buy a used vehicle and chances are it'll be alot cheaper to purchase in the first place, and it would have already lost it's 50% value so you shouldn't suffer come resale time!

So I'd recomend a used car, although it would have to be a fairly new model for you to benefit from it (for warentee and reliability perposes). It's always a nice feeling to be driving a brand spanking new car though! (Not that I ever have....not my own anyways lol)

although i agree with you, there are also many advantages to new cars. YOU can decide which options, color, interior you want. Also, you will be the first owner so you shouldnt have to worry about someone else abusing your car, accidents, carfax reports, salvage titles, etc. YOU can choose which warranty you want on it. if you intend to keep your car forever, there is every advantage in buying new. if you are like me, a college student living on campus, you really dont need a car so you should buy used, if at all.
__________________
AJ
BB6
FC3S
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 05:25 AM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
although i agree with you, there are also many advantages to new cars. YOU can decide which options, color, interior you want. Also, you will be the first owner so you shouldnt have to worry about someone else abusing your car, accidents, carfax reports, salvage titles, etc. YOU can choose which warranty you want on it. if you intend to keep your car forever, there is every advantage in buying new. if you are like me, a college student living on campus, you really dont need a car so you should buy used, if at all.
Yes, I agree entirely with that, also, the best way, in my opinion, to be driving around in a new car, is to lease one!...Ok, ok, it isn't actually your car, but when the lease expires you can buy the car at an extreamly low price. In which case, you have the best of both worlds in that you have been the only driver so you know it hasn't been abused (unless you abuse it of cause lol) or about it's history in general, you were probably able to select which options and colour scheme you wanted, and if it goes wrong during the lease, it should all be paid for, even tyres!

Most people who can afford to buy a brand new car these days, usually replace them on a yearly basis anyway, by part exchange. Surely it makes a lot more financial sense to lease a car? because when the lease expires, if you dont want to buy the car, you can simply chose another one and only have to pay for your useage, or disregard the whole 'leasing' game for good...with no further payments!
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 06-08-2004 at 05:32 AM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 05:18 PM   #5
cinqyg
CF Freak
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Midlands, England
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Yes, I agree entirely with that, also, the best way, in my opinion, to be driving around in a new car, is to lease one!...Ok, ok, it isn't actually your car, but when the lease expires you can buy the car at an extreamly low price. In which case, you have the best of both worlds in that you have been the only driver so you know it hasn't been abused (unless you abuse it of cause lol) or about it's history in general, you were probably able to select which options and colour scheme you wanted, and if it goes wrong during the lease, it should all be paid for, even tyres!

Most people who can afford to buy a brand new car these days, usually replace them on a yearly basis anyway, by part exchange. Surely it makes a lot more financial sense to lease a car? because when the lease expires, if you dont want to buy the car, you can simply chose another one and only have to pay for your useage, or disregard the whole 'leasing' game for good...with no further payments!


If you have ever had a lease then you will exactly why you dont want one. Its great if your a company and you do ots of miles. When i worked on the road i did alot of miles, My loverly astra was on the road 7 days a week 10 hours a day between the 4 of us. We worked 8 hour shifts so driving it all the time and have you ever tried selling a 1 year old car with 170,000 miles on, ill tell you its not easy to shift. So The company i worked for then did an experiment bought one out right and we drove it until the wheels fell off, and did a hp agreement, the hp was expensive but they replaced the car every few months, the megane lasted 340,000 miles, and dispite of a service every month the engine and gearbox were just knakerd. lost compression on 1 cyclinder and it was a total rebuild job so went to the scrapy best rear seats they ever had in stock!
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 06:05 PM   #6
importluva
Obsessed with imports
 
importluva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,060
good points about leasing. i totally agree with you guys.
__________________
AJ
BB6
FC3S
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 12:06 AM   #7
zipper
CF Newbie
 
zipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: US
Posts: 76
Why does cars loose so much of its value the minute it's out of the showroom? I mean shouldn't there be a reason by used cars are so cheap? It would be nice to buy a used high end car like a 2000 Corvette for a price of a new 2004 Mustang. If used cars are so much cheaper and better, why wouldn't everyone else buy used? Why would people sell their car with so much loss in value?
zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 12:34 AM   #8
cinqyg
CF Freak
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Midlands, England
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper
Why does cars loose so much of its value the minute it's out of the showroom? I mean shouldn't there be a reason by used cars are so cheap? It would be nice to buy a used high end car like a 2000 Corvette for a price of a new 2004 Mustang. If used cars are so much cheaper and better, why wouldn't everyone else buy used? Why would people sell their car with so much loss in value?


Its called the market m8, If you want the convinence of a new car and have the cash, you can go direct to the delaer get exactly what you want and you have a good comeback if it all goes pairshaped.

If you either donthave the money or are willing to take a bit more of a risk and time then you can serch around for the right car at the right price and then ita your judgement if its any good or not. if you get it right you get a bargin , if you get it wring you have an expencive bitter lemon.

In terms of selling, with a loss then there inst really much choice the market determins the price and if you ant to sell your car then you have to sell it close to the market price or you will end up with it sitting on ur drive.

In the uk the 1-3 year old cars have risen in value as the over all car market has been faling, there are alot more customers for these cars now so the price has gone up. Just like trying to shift a 14 year old rover 200 is near imposible, the scrap dealers charge you 200 to take it away.
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 12:41 AM   #9
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqyg
Its called the market m8, If you want the convinence of a new car and have the cash, you can go direct to the delaer get exactly what you want and you have a good comeback if it all goes pairshaped.

If you either donthave the money or are willing to take a bit more of a risk and time then you can serch around for the right car at the right price and then ita your judgement if its any good or not. if you get it right you get a bargin , if you get it wring you have an expencive bitter lemon.

In terms of selling, with a loss then there inst really much choice the market determins the price and if you ant to sell your car then you have to sell it close to the market price or you will end up with it sitting on ur drive.

In the uk the 1-3 year old cars have risen in value as the over all car market has been faling, there are alot more customers for these cars now so the price has gone up. Just like trying to shift a 14 year old rover 200 is near imposible, the scrap dealers charge you 200 to take it away.
Very true, the only cars that rise in value these days are classics, most older cars can be found down the scrap yard as you say Cinq, but if you are able to find what you're looking for, and pick an exellent example, you will be extreamly proud, plus there's the fun of shopping for a used car....or is it just me that finds it fun? lol. As an example, the missus and I bought a 1986 C-Reg Toyota Corolla about 9 months ago for 500, it had only 46,000miles on it and was in mint condition, we have just sold it for 450 with tax & MOT, what I'm trying to say is, cars only lose value to an extent, then they either gain value, or stay the same....like our Corolla did.
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 12:47 AM   #10
cinqyg
CF Freak
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Midlands, England
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Very true, the only cars that rise in value these days are classics, most older cars can be found down the scrap yard as you say Cinq, but if you are able to find what you're looking for, and pick an exellent example, you will be extreamly proud, plus there's the fun of shopping for a used car....or is it just me that finds it fun? lol. As an example, the missus and I bought a 1986 C-Reg Toyota Corolla about 9 months ago for 500, it had only 46,000miles on it and was in mint condition, we have just sold it for 450 with tax & MOT, what I'm trying to say is, cars only lose value to an extent, then they either gain value, or stay the same....like our Corolla did.


The only problem with older cars in this country that before they become calssics they are more expnsive to insure, because they are easy to get into and steal, and the insurance company is liable for what ever the little git behind the wheel does, be it take out a bush shelter or leave it in the cannal your insurance company has to pick up the tab.

I am shocked you paid that much for that car cliffy, next time you want a deal on the car then drop me a mail. Ive got a M reg tipo with 53k on the clock which cost me a pub lunch!

Its amazing what you can find if you know who to ask
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 12:51 AM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqyg
I am shocked you paid that much for that car cliffy, next time you want a deal on the car then drop me a mail. Ive got a M reg tipo with 53k on the clock which cost me a pub lunch!

Its amazing what you can find if you know who to ask
The Corolla was a bargain mate....I failed to mention that it had a full Toyota service history too, and metalic teal coachwork. And anyways, ya cant really compare a Fiat Tipo to a Corolla, no offence, but I know which I'd rather have lol *whispers* the Corolla
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 10:31 AM   #12
cinqyg
CF Freak
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Midlands, England
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
The Corolla was a bargain mate....I failed to mention that it had a full Toyota service history too, and metalic teal coachwork. And anyways, ya cant really compare a Fiat Tipo to a Corolla, no offence, but I know which I'd rather have lol *whispers* the Corolla

Well i would probibly prefer the corolla but not that that price, u have forgoten about my habbit of killing cars, the age would put me off aswell, the tipo is galvanised, the body is rust free aprt from a bit on the battery tray which is understandable.

theres a guy selling a c reg "tunned" prelude, well its really just a alloy, exhaust and lowering kit job. 850
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 05:56 PM   #13
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Out of the hundred+ cars I've owned, only three have been bought new.

Most have been purchased for dirt cheap, and then rebuilt in the manner I want them.

You can't match this in a new car for the $2300 I have into it:



And unless I let it fall apart, it won't go down in value.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 09:37 PM   #14
cinqyg
CF Freak
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Midlands, England
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Out of the hundred+ cars I've owned, only three have been bought new.

Most have been purchased for dirt cheap, and then rebuilt in the manner I want them.

You can't match this in a new car for the $2300 I have into it:



And unless I let it fall apart, it won't go down in value.

Well apart from here it will rust infrom of your eyes
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 12:23 AM   #15
zipper
CF Newbie
 
zipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: US
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Out of the hundred+ cars I've owned, only three have been bought new.

Most have been purchased for dirt cheap, and then rebuilt in the manner I want them.

You can't match this in a new car for the $2300 I have into it:



And unless I let it fall apart, it won't go down in value.

Holy Cow... I wish I was as good as you at fixing up cars. I would definately restore a classic car if I actually knew what I was doing... I love classic cars.. Just don't know anything about maintaining or fixing them.. I would like to buy used and save a bunch of but I don't want to get stuck with some trash that I have to live with for 5-10years, wasting more money on repairs than I would with buying a new car.
zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.