Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 07:08 PM   #1
uncle joe
CF Newbie

oil change-jetta

my daughter wants to change her oil for the first time !! she has a 03 jetta, how much oil does she need to buy and what type, she knows they put synthetic in it now, and why does she have to buy her oil filters from VW, is there not an aftermarket filter that will werk ? thanks...joe
Old 06-10-2004, 07:32 PM   #2
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle joe
my daughter wants to change her oil for the first time !! she has a 03 jetta, how much oil does she need to buy and what type, she knows they put synthetic in it now, and why does she have to buy her oil filters from VW, is there not an aftermarket filter that will werk ? thanks...joe

Satty Edit: cmon Bav, you should know better than this. What brought this reply on huh?

Check the owners manual for oil type information. Possibly oil filter info as well.

Google search what you can't find.

Holy Sheet!! Satty...while I would agree on the surface my post was harsh. But getting all the information first would be best before editing my post (which if anyone cares is quoted in the post below).

Cliffy found the reason for me posting like I did and gave it some posts down. I suggest those of you that care why I responded like this should take a look.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2

Last edited by BavarianWheels : 06-11-2004 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:51 PM   #3
wumember
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
I guess your daughter works at the whorehouse along with your sister being that she drive an import...

Maybe if you were intelligent enough, you'd know that the oil information is located inside that thing they call an owner's manual which for a 2003 model should be close by.

Google search the rest.
o god that was really helpfull and nice to say.........
Old 06-11-2004, 02:14 AM   #4
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
I guess your daughter works at the whorehouse along with your sister being that she drive an import...

Maybe if you were intelligent enough, you'd know that the oil information is located inside that thing they call an owner's manual which for a 2003 model should be close by.

Google search the rest.

What kind of reply is that? You should be kicked off from modding for that. I'm reporting that post strait to the Admin. Bastard.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:29 AM   #5
centralboy
CF Newbie

Arrow i would use

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle joe

in my opinion, i would use the Synthetic 5w30 , since it's 03, it's better then the normal 5w30... if you use the regular oil you are suppose to change it at 3000 miles , but if you use synthetic, you can go over alittle bit, i would say 4000 or 5000 miles ... for the oil filter, it depends on what engine it is, you just go to store and ask the desk guy or lady for the oil filter number ... some vehicle today use the internal oil filter .. (some vehicles you need to remove the skid plate under the engine) ... for the oil capacity, i would add 4 qts first, check the dipstick... add more if needed .. but most engine take 4.5 qts ...
If some one does not agree, reply back, happy to learn from you ...
Old 06-11-2004, 02:51 AM   #6
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
What kind of reply is that? You should be kicked off from modding for that. I'm reporting that post strait to the Admin. Bastard.

reported posts go to all mods too.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Old 06-11-2004, 02:54 AM   #7
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101
reported posts go to all mods too.

Whats your point dude?
Old 06-11-2004, 02:57 AM   #8
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Whats your point dude?

I believe you said "I'm reporting this post straight to the admin"...just letting you know.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Old 06-11-2004, 02:58 AM   #9
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Easy lads, get all the facts first....following is this guy's first attempt to make friends, in other words, Bav was only confirming what this guy already said!

Click here

It's about the fourth post down!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Old 06-11-2004, 03:11 AM   #10
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

I don't know all circumstances about Bravarian's post which got edited.

On the subject of oil changes, many European manufactutrers are specifying 0W-40 which is available only as a synthetic.

There is no hard fast rule on oil change intervals on any car. The basis is additive depletion which can occur as low as 3000 miles or as high as 8000 miles. It depends on the individual cars engine, the owners driving habits, the cars mechanical condition, etc. It even varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. For example Ford will specify 3000 mi. severe service, 7000 miles normal service using 5W20 or 5W30 mineral oil while Diamler Benz specifies 0W40 synthetic (with an 8 qt crankcase) on an 8000 mile interval. Based on oil analysis, most fleet owners change oil @ 5000 miles

You are not required to buy your filters or oil from a VW dealer. The after market filters and the lube oil you use, however, must meet VW's OEM specifications to protect the warranty. I just looked @ Purolator's and NAPA's websites. After market filters are available on line. Your local store may or may not stock them if the filter fits a small number of cars and does not sell very often

I don't know how many quarts of oil you need
Old 06-11-2004, 07:24 AM   #11
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:

See my comments on Satty's edit of my post...second post of this thread.

And as for you, DildoRida...I hope that the other mods and the one admin are taking note of you for the bs you spew all over this forum. Keep up the good work.

Old 06-11-2004, 07:29 AM   #12
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

This is the initial post of uncle joe:

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showt...8&page=5&pp=15

See post #66...and my reply is post #67.

And my subsequent reply was post #2 here in this thread.

(now seen quoted in post #3 thanks to Satty101)

Old 06-11-2004, 11:15 AM   #13
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Read my comments under American Muscle vs European....

Get the oil change question answered?
Old 06-11-2004, 02:08 PM   #14
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

You know Bav, that was a pretty funny post given the history between you and unclejoe. Unfortunately as a mod you need to filter those urges or include the background information so that people don't get confused when they see you going off on an idiot.

I don't read all the posts on this forum so when I finally saw what you wrote it shocked me a bit too, not having read that particular thread before. But I have read a lot of your posts to know that you wouldn't just go off on someone without a reason. Other people are much more quick to just throw out accusations and insults without getting to the bottom of the situation.

Oh, and by the way, I know the dildo reference was for the Rida and not for Dodge. Right??
Old 06-11-2004, 02:21 PM   #15
DodgeRida67
Banned

Damnit BitchWheels, you make me want to

You think just because of what he said in a previous post you can go and act like a jackass yourself? If you do that, your just as bad as he is. I don't see why you should be a mod, you can't hold in a flame. That's bad character.
Closed Thread