Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2004, 09:42 PM   #1
The Frenchman
CF Newbie

Cheap & fun?

I have a budget of $3-3.5k to get a car.
I'm looking for something from this list right now:

Honda Prelude
Mazda Miata
Mazda MX6
Mitsubishi Eclipse
Nissan 240sx
Toyota Celica
Toyota MR2

All from the early 90'

Do you have any suggestion about this list? Any models too ambitious? Any that I should avoid? Or some that I should look at as well?
Thanks for your help.

Last edited by The Frenchman : 06-10-2004 at 10:10 PM.
The Frenchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 10:00 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frenchman
I have a budget of 3-3.5k to get a car.
I'm looking for something from this list right now:

Honda Prelude
Mazda Miata
Mazda MX6
Mitsubishi Eclipse
Nissan 240sx
Toyota Celica
Toyota MR2

All from the early 90'

Do you have any suggestion about this list? Any models too ambitious? Any that I should avoid? Or some that I should look at as well?
Thanks for your help.
I would personally go for the MR2 myself, be warned though, if you plan on going over 80mph...hold the steering wheel like your life depens on it lol, yup, handling leaves much to be desired at speed due to it being a Mid-Engined car. Space is also a douwnside to the MR2, are two aets enough for your needs?...dont expect much luggage space either. The main reason I'd select this car is because of a good level of reliability and reasonable performance

Alternatively, go for the 200SX...preferably with a turbo, it's Front engine/Rear drive setup is great, it has seating for four and reasonable luggage space!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 10:04 PM   #3
The Frenchman
CF Newbie

The question is also about the actual possibility to find one of these cars in my price range.
I like the MR2 design a lot, and the 2 seats & little luggage space shouldn't matter. It's just for going on week-end.
Thank you for your advice.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:08 PM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
The question is also about the actual possibility to find one of these cars in my price range.
I like the MR2 design a lot, and the 2 seats & little luggage space shouldn't matter. It's just for going on week-end.
Thank you for your advice.
To be honest, it all depends how far back in the 90's you wish to travel lol, for example, Toyota renewed their MR2 in 1991 I believe, a '91 model (newer type) will cost a hell of alot more than an earlier 1990 model would. The problem you are faced with is that the newer style MR2 was released in 1991, if you went for an earlier 1989 model, you'd get a better deal!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 06-10-2004, 10:12 PM   #5
Inygknok
El del Supra

i dont know about where u live, but ill give a very brief explantion on each car....

1) Prelude - a very close friend of mine has one, bought it for $3,500 n it was a POS, i swear. he had to replace the engine in february cuz the head gasket blew, and the engine was so beat up due to him not listening to me that everything in it pretty much died (the mechanic couldnt even salvage anything). a well condition one will cost more than just $3,500 too.

2) Miata - chick car, and it leaves alot to be desired in every aspect.

3) MX6 - leaves something to be desired in the power area, but an old friend of mine used to have one n didnt have many complaints about it other than getting beat in races :P. havent checked how much one costs around here.

4) eclipse - i dont think u can get the turbo model for that cheap, even less the GSX model. maybe the RS, but keep in mind one thing, those DSM's break down alot more frequently as u add more mods (infamous crankwalk, etc.).

5) 240sx - i dont even need to comment on this one. great car, n u can mod the KA24DE just fine, even though the sr20det is the favorite one, its still ok.

6) celica - it MIGHT be within ur price range, but certainly not the AWD Turbo model. its a toyota, so u know it will survive the ages nicely. its 3s-gte engine (for the turbo model) is awesome for mods, its also the very same engine used in the turbo mr2s from the 90's (the SW20).

7) MR-2 - i know for a fact that u cant get one of these for that cheap, n most certainly NOT the turbo model. ive seen them getting sold as if the MR-2 was the Integra (even though the integra is by far inferior to the MR-2 :P), still, i would say its the best of the list, unless u find a Celica GT-4, which then u would be kicking alot of ass all over the place with some mods :P

thats my opinion on the cars and things ive had to deal with with each one of them, except the mx6 which i never really had the chance of putting up with it. the nightmare one has been the Lude, which breaks down 3 times a week AT LEAST (im not kidding nor exaggerating...... its a limping nightmare). not to mention, Honda really aint the company to say, "best bang for the buck" with their parts.. its not exactly cheap to maintain one, neither is Mazda...... i would stick to the toyotas n hope for the best.

maybe buy them from a junker n restore them? a friend of mine restores american cars for just like $3,000 if he doesnt do much (but they run so nicely). just gotta know where to look n who to ask for help.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 10:16 PM   #6
The Frenchman
CF Newbie

Well, for the different cars, I'm looking for a:

1992+ Prelude
Any Miata
1993+ MX6
Any Eclipse
Any 240sx
Any Celica
1991+ MR2

So, if some cars are clearly out of my range, tell me.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:21 PM   #7
The Frenchman
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
i dont know about where u live, but ill give a very brief explantion on each car....

1) Prelude - a very close friend of mine has one, bought it for $3,500 n it was a POS, i swear. he had to replace the engine in february cuz the head gasket blew, and the engine was so beat up due to him not listening to me that everything in it pretty much died (the mechanic couldnt even salvage anything). a well condition one will cost more than just $3,500 too.

2) Miata - chick car, and it leaves alot to be desired in every aspect.

3) MX6 - leaves something to be desired in the power area, but an old friend of mine used to have one n didnt have many complaints about it other than getting beat in races :P. havent checked how much one costs around here.

4) eclipse - i dont think u can get the turbo model for that cheap, even less the GSX model. maybe the RS, but keep in mind one thing, those DSM's break down alot more frequently as u add more mods (infamous crankwalk, etc.).

5) 240sx - i dont even need to comment on this one. great car, n u can mod the KA24DE just fine, even though the sr20det is the favorite one, its still ok.

6) celica - it MIGHT be within ur price range, but certainly not the AWD Turbo model. its a toyota, so u know it will survive the ages nicely. its 3s-gte engine (for the turbo model) is awesome for mods, its also the very same engine used in the turbo mr2s from the 90's (the SW20).

7) MR-2 - i know for a fact that u cant get one of these for that cheap, n most certainly NOT the turbo model. ive seen them getting sold as if the MR-2 was the Integra (even though the integra is by far inferior to the MR-2 :P), still, i would say its the best of the list, unless u find a Celica GT-4, which then u would be kicking alot of ass all over the place with some mods :P

thats my opinion on the cars and things ive had to deal with with each one of them, except the mx6 which i never really had the chance of putting up with it. the nightmare one has been the Lude, which breaks down 3 times a week AT LEAST (im not kidding nor exaggerating...... its a limping nightmare). not to mention, Honda really aint the company to say, "best bang for the buck" with their parts.. its not exactly cheap to maintain one, neither is Mazda...... i would stick to the toyotas n hope for the best.

maybe buy them from a junker n restore them? a friend of mine restores american cars for just like $3,000 if he doesnt do much (but they run so nicely). just gotta know where to look n who to ask for help.

Thanks. I'm not looking for a car to mod or anything. Just a fun car to drive on week-end trips. I'm not really into "HP above all "style. And I like the miata style a lot. Did I mention I was european?
Old 06-10-2004, 10:21 PM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Well, for the different cars, I'm looking for a:

1992+ Prelude
Any Miata
1993+ MX6
Any Eclipse
Any 240sx
Any Celica
1991+ MR2

So, if some cars are clearly out of my range, tell me.
You might pick up a 1992 Prelude for just under your budget, but it will be no later than a 1992. I'm almost certain the MX6 is out of your price range, as is the Eclipse and possibly the MR-2...I still say look for a cheaper MR-2, but as inyg says, it wont be anything special lol. I disagree with what he said about the Prelude though, I usewd to have one, and although only a 1986 model, it was reliable enough, although it had a few problems thoughout it's ownership....but then, so do most things lol!...Only real downside to the Prelude is it's Front wheel drive

Old 06-10-2004, 10:56 PM   #9
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

'85 - '87 BMW 3 series for your budget.

Should hold it's value for 18 months too!!

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 11:10 PM   #10
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I would personally go for the MR2 myself, be warned though, if you plan on going over 80mph...hold the steering wheel like your life depens on it lol, yup, handling leaves much to be desired at speed due to it being a Mid-Engined car. Space is also a douwnside to the MR2, are two aets enough for your needs?...dont expect much luggage space either. The main reason I'd select this car is because of a good level of reliability and reasonable performance

Alternatively, go for the 200SX...preferably with a turbo, it's Front engine/Rear drive setup is great, it has seating for four and reasonable luggage space!

Mid engined rear wheel drive are the best arangement for sports cars!
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 11:30 PM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqyg
Mid engined rear wheel drive are the best arangement for sports cars!
Yes, but they are a nightmare to handle in the wrong hands!

Old 06-10-2004, 11:36 PM   #12
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Yes, but they are a nightmare to handle in the wrong hands!
]

not my fault if they cant drive
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 12:18 AM   #13
importluva
Obsessed with imports

man id get the oldschool 240sx, as close as it gets to having a silvia. its also great for auto-x, daily driving, space, you name it.

here is one in my area, but it is a convertible and an auto, so its a lil more expensive. a 93 240sx is def in your price range, now go find one!

Last edited by importluva : 06-11-2004 at 12:24 AM.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 02:39 AM   #14
The Frenchman
CF Newbie

Thank you guys, I'll start looking for one of these. From what I've seen during early searches, it will be tough. Few choices and very overpriced. I guess I'll have to be very patient.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:26 AM   #15
Inygknok
El del Supra

overpriced? the 240sx? exactly wat do u mean with "overpriced"? are bastards selling them for more than $3,500 over there? Rip off
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote