Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2004, 03:59 AM   #1
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Question Good Motorcycles?

A friend of mine and I are planning on buying a motorcycle sometime this summer. I was just wondering whats good midrange motorcycle(about 500-1000cc's in this case)to buy. I'm not really familiar with bikes n what not and just need some general opinions. In general info on some really fast bikes and would be good for street racing.
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 04:01 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
A friend of mine and I are planning on buying a motorcycle sometime this summer. I was just wondering whats good midrange motorcycle(about 500-1000cc's in this case)to buy. I'm not really familiar with bikes n what not and just need some general opinions. In general info on some really fast bikes and would be good for street racing.
Ok...so you want a mid-range bike of about 500-1000cc to street race, and you know nothing about bikes?......God help us

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 04:12 AM   #3
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Hmm actually no, I intend to use the bike for ryding chicks arround. However, my friend plans to race it, with his extensive need for adrenaline rush.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:15 AM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Hmm actually no, I intend to use the bike for ryding chicks arround. However, my friend plans to race it, with his extensive need for adrenaline rush.
There ya go then...it would have been alot easier to state that in the first place, because if you come here asking for advise on how to race Motorbikes having never riden one....nuff said lol. Ok, your question, what's your price range first of all? and will it be new or used?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 06-11-2004, 04:22 AM   #5
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Hehe, sorry about that . Yeah I don't have enough balls to go speeding through the streets at 100+ on a bike. However I have no problem ryding girls arround . Umm yeah.... so we're looking to spend up to 8g'z. New or Used does'nt really matter to me. Why are there some problems with buying used motorcycles?
Old 06-11-2004, 04:32 AM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Hehe, sorry about that . Yeah I don't have enough balls to go speeding through the streets at 100+ on a bike. However I have no problem ryding girls arround . Umm yeah.... so we're looking to spend up to 8g'z. New or Used does'nt really matter to me. Why are there some problems with buying used motorcycles?
There's no problem with bying used at all.....but for 8,000 you would certainly be able to afford a new or atleast very nearly new bike, I'm reluctant to suggest what I want to, because unless you can handle it, you will kill yourself lol. If you want a decent mid-range sports Bike which packs a reasonable punch, I suggest looking into a one year old 'Honda CBR600'. Not only are these bikes extreamly reliable, but they are comfy too...and very quick.

What my heart wanted to suggest, was a Yamaha R1, but I feel it would be too powerfull for you, so I'll suggest an R6 instead, as an alternative to the CBR. Bear in mind that the performance between bikes doesn't differ as much as it would in cars, for example, a 600cc Bike would quite easilly do 0-62mph in the same time as a 1000cc Bike, but a 600cc car wouldn't beat a 1200cc car to 62mph (usually lol), you understand?

So, where any bike that is sports orientated will be faster than a speeding bullet (ok...not quite lol), if that's really what you want, go for the smaller 600cc engine...preferably in the Honda, it aint as brutal as either Yamaha.

Old 06-11-2004, 04:49 AM   #7
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

What the heck do you mean I can't handle it! Nah I told my buddy the same thing, he wants the bigest bike he can get. He wanted a Ninja ZX-12R. But I keep telling him to start off slow cause neither of us are pros or even have that good of experience in ryding bikes. I aslo told him that a 1200cc bike is'nt that much more stronger than a 600cc. Funny what a coincidence. Yeah I was also thinking CBR600, but he keeps talking about something that sounds like "Jigs" I have no idea what that is, do you know?
Old 06-11-2004, 04:52 AM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
he keeps talking about something that sounds like "Jigs" I have no idea what that is, do you know?
LOL....No idea I'm afraid...you've lost me

Old 06-11-2004, 05:06 AM   #9
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Yeah iono, it may be a name of a motorcycle or something.. Anyways thanx for all your help I think I will get the CBR600
Old 06-11-2004, 05:09 AM   #10
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Yeah iono, it may be a name of a motorcycle or something.. Anyways thanx for all your help I think I will get the CBR600
You're welcome, get back to us and tell us what you got, maybe add a few piccys too..

Good luck!

Old 06-11-2004, 02:25 PM   #11
WeaponR
CF Weapon Type R

i thought this was a 'car forum' site.......gues not....motorbikes too vrooooooom vroooooooom
WeaponR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 07:53 PM   #12
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac

Quote:
Ok, now this all seems to be too simple to me.. What exacly have you ridden before? What do you care about most? Your friends aspect or yours? The CB is a great bike but i prefer in in the 400cc range (my mates have them), once we get to the "mid-range bikes" you need to look at the hornets and the oppositon too. Go out to a bike shop and take a look around.. Hell, i spent 4 hours in the bike shop just up the road from me today after spending 2 hours or so there yesterday. They are a 2nd home to me, much better that a car sales lot.. Anyway, get out and have a look at them, my local shop has around 200 bikes and will cater for all needs and you will be spoilt for choice.. You cannot buy a bike from your chair, you need to test them..

Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it...
R34RB30DETTV AKA Sam - Vice-President, Director, Manager and Recruiter of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
Original Members: Snoope, SJ, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty, Integra_LS, Sam. (If you still want to join, send me a PM )

Last edited by R34RB30DETTV : 06-11-2004 at 07:57 PM.
R34RB30DETTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 09:02 PM   #13
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by R34RB30DETTV
Ok, now this all seems to be too simple to me.. What exacly have you ridden before? What do you care about most? Your friends aspect or yours? The CB is a great bike but i prefer in in the 400cc range (my mates have them), once we get to the "mid-range bikes" you need to look at the hornets and the oppositon too. Go out to a bike shop and take a look around.. Hell, i spent 4 hours in the bike shop just up the road from me today after spending 2 hours or so there yesterday. They are a 2nd home to me, much better that a car sales lot.. Anyway, get out and have a look at them, my local shop has around 200 bikes and will cater for all needs and you will be spoilt for choice.. You cannot buy a bike from your chair, you need to test them..

Well umm, I've rode about 3 bikes on several occasions wich were a: Ninja 250R, Nijna ZX-6, and some lil` honda under about 500ccs(can't quite recall the name). I was just asking whats are good bikes to even bother testdriving or looking at.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
Old 06-12-2004, 12:49 AM   #14
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

<rant>
First off, I would NOT buy a bike with a friend, because he WILL, without a doubt, crash it. Honestly, if you want to save your friend's life, do NOT buy a bike for him to kill himself on. Let me guess.... neither of you are going to wear gear, right?
</rant>

Otherwise, the Suzuki Hayabusa 1300 is the fastest bike out there. I posted a link to a video where a Busa with $1,000 of mods beat a Dodge Viper with 860 hp a while back. They are FAST. Is your friend gonna drag race it on the street, or weaving through traffic and turning?

Also, a ZX-12R will cook a 600cc any day in a straight line. It's about 105 hp vs. 150 hp, with very few lbs. of different.

Most Japanese bikes are pretty much the same. Unless you go to the track, you will not notice much different between Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, or Honda. It's basically which one you prefer, as far as ergonomics, style, brand loyalty, etc.
-----------------------------------------

Bone Stock 600cc

High 10-Low 11 quarter mile
155-160 mph top speed
105 hp at 12,750 rpms
44.7 ft/lbs at 11,750 rpms

Bone Stock 1000cc

Low 10 quarter
186 mph top speed (limited)
152 hp at 11,000 rpms
78 ft/lbs at 8,250 rpms

Bone Stock Suzuki Hayabusa 1300

9.97 Quarter
200.2 mph top speed (unrestricted model)
160 hp at 9,500 rpms
99.6 ft/lbs at 6750

Last edited by abless : 06-12-2004 at 01:09 AM.
abless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 07:28 AM   #15
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaponR
i thought this was a 'car forum' site.......gues not....motorbikes too vrooooooom vroooooooom
Take a look at this board discription...

Ok, I just realised, DSMer, you're only 16yrs old, right?...are you legally aloud to ride a big bike?