Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2004, 06:15 AM   #61
Inygknok
El del Supra

heh, thats really odd, ive seen WAY better numbers from stock supras than those 13.9's. one guy with a standard one, bone stock, except for bigger rims, could run 13.6's all day long (i knew the old man personally, as well as his wife), havent seen him in 7 months though. one of the customers down at the speed shop could pull 13.4's with just a nice set of tires, but not drag radials, had nuthin on the car besides a new radio.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 06:43 AM   #62
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
heh, thats really odd, ive seen WAY better numbers from stock supras than those 13.9's. one guy with a standard one, bone stock, except for bigger rims, could run 13.6's all day long (i knew the old man personally, as well as his wife), havent seen him in 7 months though. one of the customers down at the speed shop could pull 13.4's with just a nice set of tires, but not drag radials, had nuthin on the car besides a new radio.
I beleive that guy hat some 13.6's, even still you gotta be in the low 13.3's to beat a 3000GT. Its one of those races where the cars will be front bumper to bumper. The GTO might win by a headlight.

GTO would launch in 1st jump hella faster than the Supra would still be experiencing some wheel spin and launch .200-.500 seconds later...

The GTO will have allready entered 2nd gear while the Supra is in 1st still and the time it takes for the GTO to gear to second the Supra catches up a second more

The Supra enters 2nd then 3rd gear and the GTO is at about 3rd and the Supra gains a few more each time the GTO shifts..

They've pass the 1/8th marking and because the GTO is almost maxed out in RPMS it has to shift to 4th while the Supra can stay in 3rd and catch up

Cars are about equal race is almost over the Supra now in 3rd has to shift up to 4rth or face the dangers of over revving.

Right here the Supra drops being just a minscule of a second as the 4rth gear on the GTO opens up and the GTO takes the win Supra comes right behind..

The Supra with its 6 gears allows it to go through them quicker but because the GTO has 5 it has more room in each gear and the GTO will gain everytime the Supra shifts(vice versa). By the time the Supra catches up it wil be beyond Maxed out in gears so the driver must shift, there fore causing the GTO to slightly move up.

I've seen a race like this and it looks like the cars are like battling in tiny steps as they shift gears. Good race between them two really comes down to the drives ability to shift correctly.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 07:07 AM   #63
JimmyJJ
CF Newbie

Quote:
Hmm. If we really are ricers, then you are not much better than us. You seem to like to mag race, so stfu already.

heh sorry I called you out on "facts"... I know you didnt like proven wrong.

the cars are fast, faster than even a 350z

sorry "mag" races are much more credible then some schlub on a internet forum going "oh i crush Evo's all over"...
JimmyJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 07:29 AM   #64
Inygknok
El del Supra

someone should just buy both cars in stock trim, and just test them out, cuz this is gonna keep up like the damn evo vs sti thing, its never gonna end and its gona come back and forth from "skills of drivers" to "power-to-weight" to "gears". so i think we should just drop it.

Old 06-29-2004, 11:22 AM   #65
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
someone should just buy both cars in stock trim, and just test them out, cuz this is gonna keep up like the damn evo vs sti thing, its never gonna end and its gona come back and forth from "skills of drivers" to "power-to-weight" to "gears". so i think we should just drop it.

No there is no disagreance. The GTO would beat the Supra, the facts have shown so. No need for arguing.

Quote:
You seem to like to mag race, so stfu already.

Yes and imporluva this has been bothering me for a while. You say you like to "check the facts". When magazines are just that.. They don't sell magainzes with bogus facts and opinions. No one would buy the crap, so you can't deny somones "mag" race opinion, because I think the people in the magazines (whom drive,test, and review cars for a living) know their shit.

A hell of alot better than most of these internet sites out here. I'd trust an opinion from Car&Driver over JD&Power ANYDAY...

Old 06-29-2004, 01:43 PM   #66
Lukaz
CF-Mitsucolt

I agree with DSMer

a supra vs a 3000GT would be impressive at the end of the day its getting perfect shifts to delieve the outcome. apparently most drag races are determined by the drivers ablity to know when to change gears

Of course this doesnt apply to a 50BHP car vs a 275bhp car but that is besides the point

Mitsubishi Mirage 1.6i 16V GLX - My New lil runner this year

Last edited by Lukaz : 06-29-2004 at 01:46 PM.
Lukaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 02:04 PM   #67
SunDown13X VR4
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
I beleive that guy hat some 13.6's, even still you gotta be in the low 13.3's to beat a 3000GT. Its one of those races where the cars will be front bumper to bumper. The GTO might win by a headlight.

GTO would launch in 1st jump hella faster than the Supra would still be experiencing some wheel spin and launch .200-.500 seconds later...

The GTO will have allready entered 2nd gear while the Supra is in 1st still and the time it takes for the GTO to gear to second the Supra catches up a second more

The Supra enters 2nd then 3rd gear and the GTO is at about 3rd and the Supra gains a few more each time the GTO shifts..

They've pass the 1/8th marking and because the GTO is almost maxed out in RPMS it has to shift to 4th while the Supra can stay in 3rd and catch up

Cars are about equal race is almost over the Supra now in 3rd has to shift up to 4rth or face the dangers of over revving.

Right here the Supra drops being just a minscule of a second as the 4rth gear on the GTO opens up and the GTO takes the win Supra comes right behind..

The Supra with its 6 gears allows it to go through them quicker but because the GTO has 5 it has more room in each gear and the GTO will gain everytime the Supra shifts(vice versa). By the time the Supra catches up it wil be beyond Maxed out in gears so the driver must shift, there fore causing the GTO to slightly move up.

I've seen a race like this and it looks like the cars are like battling in tiny steps as they shift gears. Good race between them two really comes down to the drives ability to shift correctly.

just want to point something out... at the drag strip... there is no need for 4th gear with the VR4/RT TT... 1st takes you to about 40-45mph, 2nd to about 80-85, 3rd to 115-120... 4th well... there are no stock vr4 trapping anything near 120! hell even 110!!

**NOTE** the GTO 94+ is also a 6 speed... 91-93 they are 5 speed

Click Here for Mod List
Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 "Turning ordinary people into mechanics since 1991"
"VTEC - All the lag, but without the turbos... Its like waiting for bad sex..." - Sean K./CTECH

Last edited by SunDown13X VR4 : 06-29-2004 at 02:15 PM.
SunDown13X VR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 04:04 PM   #68
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJJ
heh sorry I called you out on "facts"... I know you didnt like proven wrong.

the cars are fast, faster than even a 350z

sorry "mag" races are much more credible then some schlub on a internet forum going "oh i crush Evo's all over"...

Look chump, what have you proven? That a few drivers made one run in a car and thus established what that car will do for everyone? When did i say i "crush Evo's all over"? Stop pulling shit out of your ass. "The cars"? Wtf is that? Which cars?
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 05:37 PM   #69
JimmyJJ
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
Look chump, what have you proven? That a few drivers made one run in a car and thus established what that car will do for everyone? When did i say i "crush Evo's all over"? Stop pulling shit out of your ass. "The cars"? Wtf is that? Which cars?

one run? wrong again, they ran multiple runs. Honestly learn about cars and how that review was done.

That 13.44 run wasnt a fluke, thats what that cars runs when driven correctly and in top shape.

cars = 3000gt vr4's and ill toss Supra's in there

and yes your car is a Z33 heh sorry couldnt resist

But to finish this discussion...

Although all these cars are very similar(3000gt, Supra, 300zx(aka Z32), RX7)

YES STOCK/STOCK A 2ND GEN(94-99) 3000GT VR4 IS FASTER THAN A LATE MODEL TT SUPRA! PERIOD.

A FIRST GEN(91-93) VR4 IS A TIE

AND YES A Japanese GTO MR is even faster than the 2nd gen(runs a 13.0)

case closed
JimmyJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 11:53 PM   #70
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDown13X VR4
just want to point something out... at the drag strip... there is no need for 4th gear with the VR4/RT TT... 1st takes you to about 40-45mph, 2nd to about 80-85, 3rd to 115-120... 4th well... there are no stock vr4 trapping anything near 120! hell even 110!!

**NOTE** the GTO 94+ is also a 6 speed... 91-93 they are 5 speed

WTF? 1st gear to 45mph? Thats probably gotta be the silliest thing i've ever heard. Even if your car could do 45 in 1st you would short shift to reduce wheelspin. Riding up to 45mph in 1st at a drag race would most likely not only decrease your time but possibly cost you the race. Aslo you would launch at about 5-6k so you would most likley have to reach a shift point into 2nd before 45MPH.

Seems to me like you are giving me redline shift, which is not always good for your car or your cars speed when drag racing. Sometimes the optimum shift range for each gear should prove sufficient so you don't risk eating any teeth off the syncros in your tranny. And if you don't have any, well more power to yah keep on red line shifting.

Old 06-30-2004, 12:34 AM   #71
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJJ
one run? wrong again, they ran multiple runs. Honestly learn about cars and how that review was done.

That 13.44 run wasnt a fluke, thats what that cars runs when driven correctly and in top shape.

cars = 3000gt vr4's and ill toss Supra's in there

and yes your car is a Z33 heh sorry couldnt resist

But to finish this discussion...

Although all these cars are very similar(3000gt, Supra, 300zx(aka Z32), RX7)

YES STOCK/STOCK A 2ND GEN(94-99) 3000GT VR4 IS FASTER THAN A LATE MODEL TT SUPRA! PERIOD.

A FIRST GEN(91-93) VR4 IS A TIE

AND YES A Japanese GTO MR is even faster than the 2nd gen(runs a 13.0)

case closed

look man, ive argued my case throughout this thread, so im not going to comment anymore. ill rest my case.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:20 AM   #72
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Sorry importluva, even I have to agree with him on this one. Hes got you with proven evidence. All you have is say so.. Those test were done by reputable magazines and they are not just any drivers.

I think you are resting your case cause you've been beat .

Old 06-30-2004, 02:02 AM   #73
Inygknok
El del Supra

March of 1993 Road and Track results: http://www.mkiv.com/publications/roa...4/rt294_10.jpg
specs of cars at that time: http://www.mkiv.com/publications/roa...4/rt294_08.jpg

August 1993 Road and Track, Supra hangs out with the big boys: http://www.mkiv.com/publications/roa...3/rt893_04.jpg

April 1994 Road and track, 3kgt isnt even here: http://www.mkiv.com/publications/roa...94/0100_09.jpg

1998 Road and track Supra review: http://www.mkiv.com/publications/roa...r&t_1998_4.jpg

March 1994 Car and Driver: http://www.mkiv.com/publications/car...3/6-cd3-93.jpg

November 1993 Sport Auto (in french): http://www.mkiv.com/publications/oth...port_auto4.jpg

December 1999 Car Craft (this one is for laughs): http://www.mkiv.com/publications/oth.../cc1299_04.jpg

No name given on this magazine nor date (disappointing numbers, very different from the rest): http://www.mkiv.com/publications/oth...r/supra_cr.jpg

ill let all of that do the talking

Old 06-30-2004, 02:21 AM   #74
SunDown13X VR4
CF Enthusiast

what ever... I rest my case also... there is no sence in trying to beat a dead horse with a stick!

Click Here for Mod List
Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 "Turning ordinary people into mechanics since 1991"
"VTEC - All the lag, but without the turbos... Its like waiting for bad sex..." - Sean K./CTECH
SunDown13X VR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 06:09 PM   #75
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Sorry importluva, even I have to agree with him on this one. Hes got you with proven evidence. All you have is say so.. Those test were done by reputable magazines and they are not just any drivers.

I think you are resting your case cause you've been beat .

im sorry i don't consider magazine tests as the final word on a car's capabilities. i think i have argued enough in this thread, it's time for a break.