Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 07:38 PM   #1
Chupes
CF Newbie

1999 Cavalier Problem

Hi, recently I'm having problems starting up my '99 Cavalier. I'll turn the key like normal, but instead of it starting up I'll have the radio come on and then a bunch of lights on the dash like the oil and battery light light up and the theft system light. What is going on? Thanks for anything!
Old 06-14-2004, 08:14 PM   #2
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupes
Hi, recently I'm having problems starting up my '99 Cavalier. I'll turn the key like normal, but instead of it starting up I'll have the radio come on and then a bunch of lights on the dash like the oil and battery light light up and the theft system light. What is going on? Thanks for anything!

Ok this description is way too information defficient for anyone to have a clue as to what is going on. You turn the key and instead of it starting the radio and instrumentation lights come on!!???? Are you turning the key to the start position and the engine is cranking and just will not fire Ie) start??? If the key is in the ON position, the radio and instumentation lights WILL be on so I am lost. Try providing just a little more information and we might be able to get somewhere!
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:47 PM   #3
metalhead1039
CF Newbie

I have a 99 cavalier also. it might be that your starter is bad and not sending a spark to your engine. but without more information that is my best guess.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:14 PM   #4
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead1039
I have a 99 cavalier also. it might be that your starter is bad and not sending a spark to your engine. but without more information that is my best guess.

WAIT A MINUTE????? WHAT???? Since when does a starter send a spark to the engine??? MY GOD man, please just do us all a favor and stay out of something you have NO idea about. This person would like real assistance and not mis-information that is purely bullshit. Sorry if this seems rude, but to type something so blatantly wrong on a car forum does more harm than you just trying to help out.
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:38 PM   #5
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead1039

Maybe the antifreeze fluid is low in the starter?

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
Old 06-14-2004, 10:49 PM   #6
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

I had a guy who had a radio installed and whenever he turned the a/c on the radio came on. Unless you had some stereo equipment installed I have no idea. Although I have heard of that happening to a guy in a Chevy Malibu, can't remember what it was..

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
Old 06-14-2004, 11:00 PM   #7
Chupes
CF Newbie

Well, I go to start it and it sounds like it wants to start but the engine doesn't start. So I just get the radio and lights on the dash. I don't know much about cars at all so I don't know what else to say.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:13 PM   #8
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupes
Well, I go to start it and it sounds like it wants to start but the engine doesn't start. So I just get the radio and lights on the dash. I don't know much about cars at all so I don't know what else to say.

Well yeah you're enging is'nt cranking over. Well when you turn it, does it sound like slow cranking or is it constant speed like "eh eh eh eh eh" or is it slower like "eh...eh eh.....eh eh". Cause your battery or starter could not be sullplying enough juice to crank the engine over. If you hear a clicking noise? That could be a faulty connection in the battery. Your spark plug wires could be misaligned. Or you could have a broken belt. Seeing as that you don't know much about cars you won't be able to help me very much to help you. But my best advice is for you to take it to a Mechanic and have them inspect it...

Old 06-15-2004, 03:38 AM   #9
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Well yeah you're enging is'nt cranking over. Well when you turn it, does it sound like slow cranking or is it constant speed like "eh eh eh eh eh" or is it slower like "eh...eh eh.....eh eh". Cause your battery or starter could not be sullplying enough juice to crank the engine over. If you hear a clicking noise? That could be a faulty connection in the battery. Your spark plug wires could be misaligned. Or you could have a broken belt. Seeing as that you don't know much about cars you won't be able to help me very much to help you. But my best advice is for you to take it to a Mechanic and have them inspect it...

spark plug wires misaligned
Old 06-15-2004, 05:10 AM   #10
Pieface
CF Newbie

it sounds to me like your starter is going/gone take it to a shop this isnt a job you can do yourself and the diagnosis is part of the price that you pay...
If you really dont have enough money to do it then maybe you should beg your mom and dad...

Starter problems happen on all cars it's a common thing...
A little more help if you really want it:

if your engine is making no noise when you turn your car to on then one of 2 things is happening
1. starter is dead
2. fusible link got fried by surge (take to mechanic way beyond you)

if it is slowly turning over the engine (he...he he...he sound ) then one of 2 things
1. starter dieing
2. battery dieing(advanced auto parts,napa, or auto zone can help you with this)

if your engine is starting (prolly a sputtering noise) then stalling(dieing)
1.TAKE YOUR CAR TO A SHOP I WILL NOT HELP YOU WITH THIS

p.s.-spark plug wires misaligned a.k.a.-you cant count right and you put the spark plug wire in the wrong spot

Last edited by Pieface : 06-15-2004 at 05:19 AM.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:13 AM   #11
Wally
I Know More Than You

Last edited by Wally : 06-18-2004 at 12:25 AM.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:54 AM   #12
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
spark plug wires misaligned
Its true man, somone did that shit to me as a joke. I thought my starter had gone south. N I looked at my spark plugs and they were out of order with a ****ing post it note with a laughing face on it. And it actually kinda sounded like the engine was trying to start... You never know..

Old 06-15-2004, 11:52 AM   #13
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Its true man, somone did that shit to me as a joke. I thought my starter had gone south. N I looked at my spark plugs and they were out of order with a ****ing post it note with a laughing face on it. And it actually kinda sounded like the engine was trying to start... You never know..

must be talking about having the firing order messed up - You are right the car will not start or run well with the incorrect firing order.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:44 PM   #14
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
must be talking about having the firing order messed up - You are right the car will not start or run well with the incorrect firing order.

And now that we've all given Chupes enough knowledge to be dangerous because he does not know much about cars, I will say I agree with one comment.....TAKE THE CAR TO A SHOP. I've also enjoyed the laugh from some of the postings and technical advise given. Personally, I think you need to check the fluid level in the alternator and make SURE that the drive shaft is not bolted up the the water pump instead of the transmission myself!!

Old 06-15-2004, 04:12 PM   #15
DodgeRida67
Banned

........Does it have gas?
Closed Thread