Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2004, 09:50 PM   #1
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

What do you all think about the Pontiac GTO?

I just wanted to know the opinion(s) of those that are really into Domestic Cars on the new GTO. I personally think that GM just ripped off Holden, but I want to know what other people think about it.
Now I will admit that it is a beast. (V8 and all) And it has so pretty "interesting" styling, but I just dont think that it really lives up to the GTO name.
Tell me wat yall think! Thanks!

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 10:06 PM   #2
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan
I just wanted to know the opinion(s) of those that are really into Domestic Cars on the new GTO. I personally think that GM just ripped off Holden, but I want to know what other people think about it.
Now I will admit that it is a beast. (V8 and all) And it has so pretty "interesting" styling, but I just dont think that it really lives up to the GTO name.
Tell me wat yall think! Thanks!

Well this is the year 2004, we are no longer in the muscle car era. There is no way the car can live up to the name of the GTO, but for a modern cars I think its pretty damn good. The stylng is nice and it should suit very well for the GTO. But no new american car will ever be as good as the old ones. Look at the new Malibus and Impalas... Again its a great car, just redesigned to fit out needs of today not 30 years ago

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 04:34 AM   #3
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

I'm assuming no one has heard of the Lingenfelter Goat. It's a modified GTO, and makes 450 hp and 395 ft/lbs of torque. It costs $50,000.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:04 AM   #4
Pieface
CF Newbie

50k laugh
I'll get a vette not a gto if I'm paying 50k screw lingenfelter(even thought there lingenfelter vette is godly )
Pieface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 06:30 PM   #5
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Holden is a GM division. GM can't "rip off" one of it's own divisions. The original GTO was a big engine in a mainstream Tempest (which was just a basic intermediate coupe, built from the Chevy Malibu chassis). it was relatively crude, and didn't really look any different than other GM cars of the day. Hell, the LAST two GTOs we got were sticker packages on emissions strangled Le Mans models in '72-73, and on the Pontiac version of the Nova in '74!

The new GTO outperforms EVERY other production Pontiac GTO ever built in every direction: accelleration, top speed, cornering, ride, ergonomics, build quality, emissions, and fuel mileage. How a car that is actually a better car in every way "doesn't live up to the original" is a mystery to me.

GM finally delivered to the US a product enthusiasts have been asking for for a while: a cleanly styled (not overly coated with cladding) coupe, with room for 4 adults, well built and styled interior, a powerful engine, and sorted, good handling RWD chassis with IRS, for less money than the European coupes of similar power outputs. And now kids complain that it isn't a stickered up Judge with huge hood scoops.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 06:32 PM   #6
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieface
50k laugh
I'll get a vette not a gto if I'm paying 50k screw lingenfelter(even thought there lingenfelter vette is godly )

Well and good for you, but what about people that want a well rounded, quality built coupe that holds more than 2 people????

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 06-15-2004, 06:58 PM   #7
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Holden is a GM division. GM can't "rip off" one of it's own divisions. The original GTO was a big engine in a mainstream Tempest (which was just a basic intermediate coupe, built from the Chevy Malibu chassis). it was relatively crude, and didn't really look any different than other GM cars of the day. Hell, the LAST two GTOs we got were sticker packages on emissions strangled Le Mans models in '72-73, and on the Pontiac version of the Nova in '74!

The new GTO outperforms EVERY other production Pontiac GTO ever built in every direction: accelleration, top speed, cornering, ride, ergonomics, build quality, emissions, and fuel mileage. How a car that is actually a better car in every way "doesn't live up to the original" is a mystery to me.

GM finally delivered to the US a product enthusiasts have been asking for for a while: a cleanly styled (not overly coated with cladding) coupe, with room for 4 adults, well built and styled interior, a powerful engine, and sorted, good handling RWD chassis with IRS, for less money than the European coupes of similar power outputs. And now kids complain that it isn't a stickered up Judge with huge hood scoops.
I know that... I just think that they could have come up with something completely new.

As to the 50K cars... get a STi... woops both of there asses... plus the 20K you save you could put into mods for the STi... and then REALLY OWN THERE ASSES!

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 08:45 PM   #8
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan
I know that... I just think that they could have come up with something completely new.

They didn't come up with something "completely new" the first time around. The GTO is exactlythe kind of car we've ben wanting the domestic manufacturers to provide us. They don't need to make performance cars at all, and bitching about the best one they've yet delivered is just silly.

Quote:
As to the 50K cars... get a STi... woops both of there asses... plus the 20K you save you could put into mods for the STi... and then REALLY OWN THERE ASSES!

Actually, in either case, if I'm going to blow the warranty, I'd not buy ANY new car, as for the same money, you can make an old car perfrom much better.

And considering how Subaru and Mitsubishi are now going after anyone who even autocrosses their new WRXs and Evos, and denying ALL warranty coverage, regardless of whether it could have been caused by performance driving or NOT, I'll not support those companies in anything.

http://www.grmotorsports.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=4176

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 06-16-2004, 06:42 AM   #9
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieface
50k laugh

The GTO has more trunk space, and more interior room than the vette.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:05 PM   #10
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
And considering how Subaru and Mitsubishi are now going after anyone who even autocrosses their new WRXs and Evos, and denying ALL warranty coverage, regardless of whether it could have been caused by performance driving or NOT, I'll not support those companies in anything.

http://www.grmotorsports.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=4176

Its just a sad and desperate way for them to save money. the bastards.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 04:14 PM   #11
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Haha, damn Mitsubishi...

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 10:01 PM   #12
SuperJew
I like pie.

wait - hasn't the debate about the GTO been done before?

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 11:07 PM   #13
cinqyg
CF Freak

Well the warenty denial isnt new, In the 70's people used buy/hire shelby mustangs and take them racing and ford wondered why they got so many sent back for about 6 months until they found that they could find 25% of the cars at a meet every weekend!

Have you guys seen the TVR Cerbera?
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 01:58 PM   #14
RX8factor
CF Newbie

Thumbs up I have no problem with the GTO

GM is looking for some revival of their classic models that we all used to love. The new GTO may be a vauxhall or a holden or whatever else it was in other countries, but so what? On my recent trip to europe, where it is known as the vauxhall monaro, I went to a dealership to check it out. The GTO has more horsepower, at 350 instead of 333 for the Monaro. GM has taken the Monaro and has upped the antie with a new pontiac-like grille, which I dare say looks great. An awesome interior with colors coded to the outside paint. I'm not a pontiac fan, and not really a GM fan (with a few exceptions), but for now, the GTO looks just fine.
RX8factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 02:47 PM   #15
Voda48
CF Lance Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJew
wait - hasn't the debate about the GTO been done before?
Yes we have as a matter of fact cause I started that thread I do believe. As a matter or response to everything that has been said to this point, I agree with Chris. The GTO was about putting power into a modest looking car. There was nothing "new" aobut it back in th 60s so the fact that there is nothing "new" aobut them now doesn't seem to make sense. "but I just dont think that it really lives up to the GTO name" i just don't understand this comment Steveo