Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2004, 05:42 PM   #1
vibrantflame
CF Newbie

'99 Toyota Tercel or a Ford Focus?

I'm looking to purchase a used vehicle and I was hoping to get some opinions on which is a better buy. I have read a lot of reviews on the Toyota Tercel CE. They all say that it is a really reliable car, and cheap on gas. But I've also read some good reviews on the Ford Focus. Personally, I am more inclined to go for a Toyota because I know that they are generally a very good car. My Dad had a Toyota Tercel Wagon that lasted him for 14 years. But I wanted to get some other people's opinions. Also, does anyone know aprox. what insurance costs for the two vehicles? I have tried to get insurance quotes but it has been such a hassle if you don't actually own the vehicle. Thanks.
vibrantflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 06:39 PM   #2
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Simply put, stay away from teh '00, and '01 Focus models, unless AL th recall work has been done. the '02-04s models havne't had teh issues that plagued teh first year cars, but they are still kind of cheap compared to the Toyotas (though the Ce is a really basic car, too) . Styling is subjective, and I like the Focus better for that. Driving dynamics are better in the Focus, and it feels less like an appliance.

Still as an overall first car purchase, I'd steer toward the Tercel, and do some personlaizing and upgrading, just to make it less bland.

What kind of price range are you looking at?

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 07:00 PM   #3
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Tercel... I dont trust Focuses... one rolled on the Editor and his minions in Automobile when they were writing a story on it... they went into a ditch!

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 07:59 PM   #4
Driver-88
CF Newbie

Myself civic but Toyotas are good to. Everyone I know that has had a Toyota
the steel ends up rusting and rotting before any mechanical problems start.

My 1990 Buick Regal Grand Sport Custom V6 3800.
0 To 60 MPH in 9.5 seconds, Personal top speed 168 KPH,
Tires P225/60R16s with cornering AT 125 KPH in the rain,
Yah Iíll give up 65 MPG for that.
Driver-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 08:40 PM   #5
Ki2AY
CF's Pond Scum

id personnaly go for the focus, they are both ugly cars.. and maybe toyota tercel is more reliable, but i think the tercel is much uglier.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:40 PM   #6
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan
Tercel... I dont trust Focuses... one rolled on the Editor and his minions in Automobile when they were writing a story on it... they went into a ditch!

And yet they don't roll under hard cornering in stock form in autocross. How odd. Maybe the people at the magazine did something stupid?

I watched a driver in an Accord roll his car over swerving to the median on I5 south of Seattle. Accords must be bad!

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 08:08 PM   #7
MOPAR
CF Newbie

Lightbulb

i like the focus WAY better than the tercel. It's sportier by a mile, and some judge a book by its cover.
MOPAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 12:57 AM   #8
Diewaldo
CF Newbie

Focus

Here in Germany the Focus has reached a top ranking in a reliability research done by a car club. It was almost as good as the Toyotas. (But this is only for the Focuses that where built here in Germany, the USA one's are built somewhere in South-America I think, so I won't put my hand in the fire for this ones!)

If you where a European I would tell you to buy this car, but it is not available in the US, although it is built by a GM Company:

Diewaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 06:57 AM   #9
Patrick
CF Addict

Location: Louisville, KY. We don't wear shoes, and it would be a shame to see someone with a full set of teeth.
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diewaldo
Here in Germany the Focus has reached a top ranking in a reliability research done by a car club. It was almost as good as the Toyotas. (But this is only for the Focuses that where built here in Germany, the USA one's are built somewhere in South-America I think, so I won't put my hand in the fire for this ones!)

If you where a European I would tell you to buy this car, but it is not available in the US, although it is built by a GM Company:

In response, I am a big fan of Opel... and I am a fan of their cars and I can speak on them with absolutely no authority whatsoever.... but you do have to watch out for GM.... but about the subject at hand.
Personally, I would lean towards the Ford Focus. Their reliability has been--- average. On the other hand, Toyota has a spotless record for impeccable reliability- if that's a major concern. The Tercel really is an ugly piece of machinery, though... not to say that the Ford Focus is all that attractive, either. Also, depending on your intentions for the car, you may lean one way or another. There are certainly more parts available for the Focus, if you are looking to tune. Either way, I might reccommend you look elsewhere- something more liveable, perhaps. For the price of a Focus, you could get something much nicer with more years on it from Honda or Toyota that is going to bring you the same amount, if not less headaches. And there's my six pence.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 12:32 AM   #10
Solar
Banned

I'll put it like this, the '99-01 focus had over 13 recalls since it was introduced. enough said
Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 11:00 AM   #11
Diewaldo
CF Newbie

Why do people always say, that if a car has a lot of recalls it is a bad car?

Surely you can tell that the recalls make the Cars better, than they were before.

When a car has had no recalls, it can be a bad car too! It just means, that the manufacturer of the car is willing to make his cars better than they were before!

Diewaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 05:09 PM   #12
Solar
Banned

Generally, when a car has that many recalls there is definetly something wrong with either the way it was designed, built, or perhaps even both. To say that a car with double digit recalls is a "well built" car is ludicrous.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:49 PM   #13
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar
Generally, when a car has that many recalls there is definetly something wrong with either the way it was designed, built, or perhaps even both. To say that a car with double digit recalls is a "well built" car is ludicrous.

If you include Safety, General, and Service Bulletins, my guess is that all cars easily get into the double-digits.

BTW...double-digits begins at 10.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2

Last edited by BavarianWheels : 06-24-2004 at 05:52 PM.
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 06:39 PM   #14
Solar
Banned

Ummmm... thx?
Old 06-24-2004, 08:17 PM   #15
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar
Ummmm... thx?

Maybe you meant above 60 or something?...

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote