Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2004, 09:21 AM   #1
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Talking 2005 CRX?,Shes back!

While Honda thinks about reintroducing one of its most glorious models, we can't help but blurt out our full support, - this is a no-brainer, guys.

The CRX was brilliant when Honda developed it almost 20 years ago, and the tearaway combination of light and potent hasn't lost its appeal. Honda is believed to be seriously considering developing a two-seat sports car with those qualities, using its new Global Small Platform. The car, which Honda insiders are already calling the CRX, could appear in late 2004 or early 2005.

For the Japanese market, the CRX will exist in two forms: an entry-level model with a 1.0-litre DOHC VTEC triple producing appoximately 74 kW (the engine derived from the block used in Honda's Insight hybrid coupé), and a hardcore 1.6-litre DOHC four cylinder engine (also with VTEC) generating 110-115 kW. Not incredible, until you realise that the target weight for the four-cylinder coupé is said to cut under 800 kg. Put it this way - that's 200 kg less than the Mini and 175 kg lighter than an MR2.

This gives the 1.6-litre variant a tidy 7.27 kg/kW ratio in the worst case. By comparison, a 225 kW VXII SS Commodore has a kilogram-to-kilowatt ratio of 7.52. So, if Honda builds it, the little CRX will stand-out quick. Transmissions proposed are a five-speed manual for the 1.0-litre three cylinder, and a six-speed manual for the 1.6-litre. Use of Honda's CVT is said to be under study, but is not yet an official part of the programme.

The new two-seater is small, and information from Honda indicates a wheelbase in the 2250 to 2350 mm range, overall length of less than 3650 mm, width of 1690 mm and height below 1270 mm. This makes it a strictly a two-pew affair.

Honda would be FOOLISH not to make this car...

http://www.streetracersonline.com/ga...al_crx_kit.jpg
http://www.streetracersonline.com/ga...rxart3%7E0.jpg
http://www.streetracersonline.com/ga...al_crxart2.jpg

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 04:25 PM   #2
Ki2AY
CF's Pond Scum

wow! thats so nice.. you have any information about the price in USD? well, i have nothing else to say but...

Last edited by Ki2AY : 06-17-2004 at 04:34 PM.
Ki2AY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 05:02 PM   #3
importluva
Obsessed with imports

meh. not a big fan of this car. i suppose it'll challenge the mr2.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 05:07 PM   #4
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
meh. not a big fan of this car. i suppose it'll challenge the mr2.

It would whup the MR2, the CRX had a greater potential than what it allready did over 20 years ago. If it did'nt have such a piss weak honda platform to work off of and something like a 4G63 that car would be a beast.The CRX,imo, should have been a Mitsu creation.

Old 06-17-2004, 05:25 PM   #5
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
It would whup the MR2, the CRX had a greater potential than what it allready did over 20 years ago. If it did'nt have such a piss weak honda platform to work off of and something like a 4G63 that car would be a beast.The CRX,imo, should have been a Mitsu creation.

I would say that honda has to be one of the best engine manufaturers around, and i dont just limit that to cars. I think that you have to realise that becuase honda are so good they dont genrally have a more that you can get out of them.
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 05:28 PM   #6
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Nah I just wanna see what potential a CRX could have with the 4G63 in it.. I think it would have been better than the greatness its allready acheived and now thats its coming back, everyone will have one.

Old 06-17-2004, 09:51 PM   #7
SuperJew
I like pie.

well, looks like the new CRX could have some potential...

i'd put in the 3.5 litre V6 if I were Honda...240hp in eh, say 2000 pounds is insane.

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 10:02 PM   #8
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Thank god the CRX wasn't a Mitsu creation of the day. Not after we know what Mitsu did to cover up all it's problems over the last 30 years.

Sorry, even though the DSMs had some potential to be fast, and the Evo is a cool car in concept, Mitsu as a company is messed up.

Honda has a better history, and a better [i[motorsports[/i] history. the previous CRX's were great cars, and the new one could be a much more agile version of the ITR...

Now they just have to make it.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 11:11 PM   #9
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

How you guys think that crx's were great cars will forever remain a mystery to me. They weren't fast and they sure as hell didn't provide a comfortable ride. IMO, the crx was the ultimate piece of crap to exist on the roads during it's production run. Not to mention that they fold up like card-board boxes if your unlucky enough to get into an accident with them. Power to weight ratio is a worthless number if the car is still a slug. But hey, that's just my point of view...I'll be more than happy to spank your crx's on the streets and tracks on a regular basis. The way I look at it, the more of them are on the streets, the more punk kids I can put to shame.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 11:13 PM   #10
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick88Tbird
How you guys think that crx's were great cars will forever remain a mystery to me. They weren't fast and they sure as hell didn't provide a comfortable ride. IMO, the crx was the ultimate piece of crap to exist on the roads during it's production run. Not to mention that they fold up like card-board boxes if your unlucky enough to get into an accident with them. Power to weight ratio is a worthless number if the car is still a slug. But hey, that's just my point of view...I'll be more than happy to spank your crx's on the streets and tracks on a regular basis. The way I look at it, the more of them are on the streets, the more punk kids I can put to shame.

so in your opion whats better for the money!
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 11:47 PM   #11
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:

You should probably do a lil more reading on the Rex(CRX)... The pocket rocket was probably one of hondas greatest creations for an affordable price. I'm a lil hazy on the years but in 85-90 I think it was popular to do engine swaps and you could throw in your bigger Honda Prelude or Integra engine... wich gave that lil "slug" some umph. As far as a V-6 inside of a CRX, I think it would proove far better with a DOHC Type-R engine of its own.. ITs a great car..fun, cheap, and easily modded. What more do you want? Well if you're looking for safety inside of a compact sedan, you are probably in the wrong place. Although I have see people get CRX's totaled and live to tell about it..
N this "spanking" you speak of? Some guys I know with CRX's are pulling 11,12, and low 13's. So unless your car is pushing 9-10's(wich I highly doubt) I don't think you'll be doing any spanking today, tommorow, or anytime soon for that matter. Damn all this talking makes me want one...but a JDM right hand drive...

Old 06-18-2004, 12:46 AM   #12
Inygknok
El del Supra

ok time for the Supra obsessed guy to give HIS almighty dark overlord opinion...... (PS: )

ill start by saying, i am not the biggest Honda fan in the world AT ALL.... they r great cars and all, but they get overpraised too much, and thats a fact. sure, they got potential, but too many people think that equipping their civics with Pep Boys "performance" muffler tips (which r the equivalent of just hooking up lots of Coca Cola cans), Pep Boys "bling" rims, and boost guages connected to their asses to see how much their farts can make the boost needle jump out, is cool.

but as far as the old CRX goes.... sure, it has potential and its VERY economical, but its real power comes from engine swaps (not a big fan of those either, cuz then it would be a completely different car). i like the idea of working with the original engine of the car, its more of a challenge and u can have the honor of saying something like, "take THAT bitch, i modded my piece of shit D15 engine and i can still kick your ass (that last part only works if u do kick ass, but still)". anyone could get a Geo and throw a B18 engine in it n probaby do better (not sure if the Geo is lighter). so thats why i dont give too much credit to engine swappers. ill take the supra for an example... sure, its a heavy car n u need to make it produce alot more power so it can go down the track faster, but hey, its a challenge that pays off (DSMer, this side note is just for u, before u flame that specific line, read the word EXAMPLE, i could have used the Evo as an example but that would have just pissed u off more).

still, atleast the old CRX is decent and it moves with an engine swap, but just remember, swapping in a nicer engine makes it stop being a real CRX, its just a modded CRX then.

yet, the new one looks really damn nice, kudos to Honda on that. maybe we will see something else besides civics on teh streets for a change.

and dont be dissing rice rockets. afaik, they r the most tuneable cars atm. americans make torque-full stock cars, europeans make unaffordable supercars that can beat anyone in any sort of competition, specially luxury german cars, and asians make the most easily tuned vehicles out there. oh and the aussies....... well.... they got the crocodile hunter... i think that counts... right?

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 12:52 AM   #13
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Dude, that was like the most biased opinion ever... Good JOB You went from CRX to GEO to Supra(I have no idea how that happened)... You try sitting under an oily ass car swapping an engine for 7 hours and then you tell me if you still give them credit or not...

Old 06-18-2004, 01:24 AM   #14
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Quote:
Not to mention that they fold up like card-board boxes if your unlucky enough to get into an accident with them. Power to weight ratio is a worthless number if the car is still a slug.

Very good point. I wonder what the crash ratings were for that car. Whenever a 18-wheeler passes the CRX, it would give more than a jolt im sure. Doesnt seem safe at all. It had no safety features. I hope the new version improves on this, especially the side impact airbags.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 01:33 AM   #15
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
Very good point. I wonder what the crash ratings were for that car. Whenever a 18-wheeler passes the CRX, it would give more than a jolt im sure. Doesnt seem safe at all. It had no safety features. I hope the new version improves on this, especially the side impact airbags.
My god there you go again, how could you possibly expect saftey in a compact car? If the car smashes you smash with it. Side impact airbags and a Rollcage won't save you in that kinda situation... Not a good thing to be in.