Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2004, 12:32 AM   #1
th_Eclipse
CF Newbie

questions on swapping mitsubishi engine

I have just recently acuired a 1999 mitsubishi eclipse Rs. it has a 2.0L engine w/ DOHC and FR drive. the thing is totally stock. i have looked at many different ways of tuning it and decided that i would like to do an engine swap. I have looked for days for a web site on giving me info on this. i was looking at a 3000gt twin turbo engine. i would like to know what kind of mods need to be done before this can happen and is it just plan possible. if not would anybody have any other engines in mind. i would also like some good websites where i can find these motors. any help would be very much appreciated.
th_Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 06:33 PM   #2
JeffGodOfBiskut
CF Newbie

hmmm

not to sound demeaning at all, a swap to a tt v6 into an eclipse rs seems a bit ridiculous. I'm not an engine guru by any means, but i have enough experience with dsms to know that there are far more cost effective means of generating tons of horsepower in an eclipse than a swap like that.

That's not to say that you wouldn't be generating more power this way, but you are looking at spending thousands of dollars on engine and components alone. Personally, i would stick with the current engine and spend your money on mods. Assuming cost is absolutely not an issue, and it is physically possible to fit the TT v6 into the rs, i'd go for it just for bragging rights. But other than that, it seems, like i said, ridiculous

p.s. also, before you continue posting, you should really introduce yourself in the proper forum. The mods and people on the forum like to know you before answering your questions as i have found....

*Dreams*
JeffGodOfBiskut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 11:45 PM   #3
cinqyg
CF Freak

I know like i may sound a bit dull and boring but why dont you spend your money on upgrading the whole car probibly be cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffGodOfBiskut
not to sound demeaning at all, a swap to a tt v6 into an eclipse rs seems a bit ridiculous. I'm not an engine guru by any means, but i have enough experience with dsms to know that there are far more cost effective means of generating tons of horsepower in an eclipse than a swap like that.

That's not to say that you wouldn't be generating more power this way, but you are looking at spending thousands of dollars on engine and components alone. Personally, i would stick with the current engine and spend your money on mods. Assuming cost is absolutely not an issue, and it is physically possible to fit the TT v6 into the rs, i'd go for it just for bragging rights. But other than that, it seems, like i said, ridiculous

p.s. also, before you continue posting, you should really introduce yourself in the proper forum. The mods and people on the forum like to know you before answering your questions as i have found....
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 03:34 PM   #4
poopfaceone
CF Newbie

I have the same car, but 97 and I think I'm gonna try to swap a gs-t engine because I have 115,000 miles and It will need a new engine soon enough. I am hoping to find one under $2,000. It has a turbo and its really easy to make faster. That would be more feasable than a 3000gt Twin turbo. Alot lighter too...
poopfaceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 08:53 PM   #5
VMJYogi
CF Addict

Ohhh. Wish i could help ya there buddy. Shoulda gotta 1g or 2G 'clipse. The others are too heavy

Self-appointed anchorman of CF. I bring the news with a savvy tongue b*tch!
Now an ever prouder DEP of the USMC
I get fresh from Yankee Stadium to the Gardens i beg your pardon, stop it, my closet Macys mens department pants shirt scarf phone if you checkin get the scoop on the cologne belt and shoe section fur for fur baby baby you'll go stir crazy
VMJYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 03:21 AM   #6
SunDown13X VR4
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopfaceone
I have the same car, but 97 and I think I'm gonna try to swap a gs-t engine because I have 115,000 miles and It will need a new engine soon enough. I am hoping to find one under $2,000. It has a turbo and its really easy to make faster. That would be more feasable than a 3000gt Twin turbo. Alot lighter too...

yeah this sounds like a better idea...
I just dont see how can a vr4 engine fit in there... (I also own an eclipse) and well I dont think it would work... plus you would also need a new tranny.

I would just get the gst engine...

Click Here for Mod List
Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 "Turning ordinary people into mechanics since 1991"
"VTEC - All the lag, but without the turbos... Its like waiting for bad sex..." - Sean K./CTECH
SunDown13X VR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 03:43 AM   #7
jzxTT
CF Addict

4G63 is a good engine and It'd be a lot easier to swap that a TT engine. Its a 2 liter 4cly engine and comes with awd tranny(manual or auto) and turbocharger. All for 2 thousand. It will cost less to install than the TT engine. This is not advertiseing. Just trying to help
Old 10-27-2004, 04:31 AM   #8
nektratta
CF Newbie

not worth i always wanted the ttv6 in my gsx but after alot of research it turned out that it wasnt worth the trouble and money
Old 10-27-2004, 04:42 AM   #9
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

FWD into RWD is always going to be difficult because the chasis is made for FWD, and you would have to do some "mangling" if you will to get it to work... i would assume
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote