Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2004, 02:13 AM   #16
JaneiR36
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
What colors are all the wires? (black is usually hot in an automobile)

Black, red, and blue. (all three spliced with white).

So would I need to do about this cluth? I need those idiot steps again for disconnecting, etc. Right now I'm thinking take out the whole compressor, which I'm guessing is not what you mean. Would I be able to drive around with the compressor out? There's that belt around it and all... it would need to be connected to something, right?
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 02:28 AM   #17
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneiR36
Black, red, and blue. (all three spliced with white).

So would I need to do about this cluth? I need those idiot steps again for disconnecting, etc. Right now I'm thinking take out the whole compressor, which I'm guessing is not what you mean. Would I be able to drive around with the compressor out? There's that belt around it and all... it would need to be connected to something, right?

The compressor stays in ( thats better news than you think trust me. )

In the center of the compressor pulley, you will see a bolt. All you do is take out the bolt and pull off the pulley, clutch and coil all at once ( in 3 pieces)

Pictures are worth 1,000 words!

Your compressor: (Hopefully!) There should be a bolt in the front and center of it. Take it out.

This is what you wil be taking off when you take the bolt out:

Clutch, Pulley, Coil

Ill explain how this works.
Since the compressor has no need to turn everytime the engine does, as it will cycle on and off, you need something to let it become free from the engine turning. Clutch!

The clutch works like this. See the pulley? It spins all the time with the engine. The clutch ( in the front) does not. When energized, the coil creates a strong magnetic field ( coil is behind pulley ) which pulls the clutch (front) into the spinning pulley. Now the clutch is spinning! the clutch is mounted on the compressor shaft so now the compressor is turning.

What I think is happening: I think the coil is not getting energized so the clutch is not engauging therefor the compressor is not spinning and boom no cold air for you. I think the coil is fried. Should be 5OHMs not 106OMHs. That is if the measurements you took are correct and were taken at the correct spots. You need to take it off and check it again though.

Last edited by DodgeRida67 : 06-21-2004 at 02:31 AM.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 03:02 AM   #18
JaneiR36
CF Freak

wow... look how clean and shiny those compressors are

Dang it! I was so excited to continue working on this, but we park our cars outside and it's dark now. Okay! I'm off to Walmart to buy some bulbs... for the lamp on our lawn. They've been out forever but no one particularly cared... until now.

What do I do with the pulley, clutch, and coil once I take them out? If I'm able to accomplish that step tonight, I'll be wondering what to do next. Take the resistance measurements again?
Old 06-21-2004, 03:23 AM   #19
DodgeRida67
Banned

We need to get ahold of a wiring diagram from your compressor clutch so we can actuatly test OHMs in the coil. If you do that, you won't have to take the coil out to test it. I'll be back tomorrow night to help. Do some research for the wiring until then. Someone around here will probably help you. Ill be back...
Old 06-21-2004, 03:58 AM   #20
JaneiR36
CF Freak

well I'm really grateful for your help so far It's still too dark to work outside, so I won't be taking anything apart until the morning. Hopefully I'll gather some more information by or before tomorrow. Thanks again!
Old 06-22-2004, 11:30 AM   #21
JaneiR36
CF Freak

can someone share any resources for possibly finding these wiring diagrams? So far I've looked at Hayne's and Autozone's, and neither contain diagrams of the A/C system. Later today, I'll be stopping by the Toyota dealership to see if their repair manual contains this information, but other than that, I'm all out of ideas.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:01 PM   #22
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
can someone share any resources for possibly finding these wiring diagrams? So far I've looked at Hayne's and Autozone's, and neither contain diagrams of the A/C system. Later today, I'll be stopping by the Toyota dealership to see if their repair manual contains this information, but other than that, I'm all out of ideas.
The shop manual for your car will have the information. It really should.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:07 PM   #23
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

Quote:
What colors are all the wires? (black is usually hot in an automobile)

Here's my

If you are that much of a beginner that you cannot understand the simplist of troubleshooting techniques for this problem nor identify the a/c system components involved, you really are not going to be able to fix this problem yourself. I did not even read all the follow up posts to the original problem description, but we'd have a book hammered out by the time it was all said and done. Take the car to a shop, get it properly diagnosed and call it a day. You'll save yourself the time and efforts of much frustration as well as those of us who want to help, but havent the time to start from ground zero and build up to mechanic level. I like to help people but if you dont the know the first thing about what you are dealing with, then that's too much typing and too much work.

I agree with dodge's first advise on what to check because you did not tell us any of the information that we'd need to know regarding the actual problem description. Good luck
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 03:34 PM   #24
HighWayMan
CF Newbie

So far JaneiR36 seems to be following well and having fun doing it. Dodge seems to be having fun helping and other A/C newbies may be learning from reading the thread.

Oh and the lawn lights got fixed!

I'm waiting for the next installment to see how it prograsses.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:48 PM   #25
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighWayMan
So far JaneiR36 seems to be following well and having fun doing it. Dodge seems to be having fun helping and other A/C newbies may be learning from reading the thread.

Oh and the lawn lights got fixed!

I'm waiting for the next installment to see how it prograsses.

Well then MORE POWER TO THEM, right? ....I always vote for efficiency
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:18 PM   #26
JaneiR36
CF Freak

I'm replying to three posts at once, I hope that's okay.

Quote:
The shop manual for your car will have the information. It really should.

Yes, I called them this morning. $118. I'm working on some other options, but I'll let you know as soon as I get a hold of those diagrams. I'm just remembering one of vwhobo's posts that said to insist on a free repair manual whenever you buy a car. I guess I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighWayMan

That about sums it up! I've driven around with the A/C broken for three hot summers, including one road trip to Florida. So I don't know what to say, other than I've got plenty of time, and am willing to spend maybe up to the amount it would have cost to have a mechanic fix it.

I really do understand the underlying frustration in trying to help out a complete newbie (hey, I wonder if there's a status lower than CF newbie mine can be changed to; I'm just not sure I'd want "CF idiot" staring me in the face each time I logged on ). That's why I continue to profusely thank Dodgerida and everyone else who continues to help me out.

cmeseadoin, it won't necessarily take a whole book (just a ridiculously long thread ). "All-there-is-to-know-about-air-conditioning" can be compared to an extremely complex network diagram. But through the process of elimination, the number of steps involved in solving my very own problem could be considerably shortened. I'll keep your advice in mind, though. When I'm all out of options, there'll probably be nothing else I can do.

Finally, I hate to get on the defensive, but I must add that I followed the rules of the forum and did not mislead anyone as to my level of expertise. I can only assume that if you're reading and getting frustrated, you are doing so by choice.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:35 PM   #27
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

Quote:
I'm replying to three posts at once, I hope that's okay.

Yes, I called them this morning. $118. I'm working on some other options, but I'll let you know as soon as I get a hold of those diagrams. I'm just remembering one of vwhobo's posts that said to insist on a free repair manual whenever you buy a car. I guess I'll keep that in mind for the future.

That about sums it up! I've driven around with the A/C broken for three hot summers, including one road trip to Florida. So I don't know what to say, other than I've got plenty of time, and am willing to spend maybe up to the amount it would have cost to have a mechanic fix it.

I really do understand the underlying frustration in trying to help out a complete newbie (hey, I wonder if there's a status lower than CF newbie mine can be changed to; I'm just not sure I'd want "CF idiot" staring me in the face each time I logged on ). That's why I continue to profusely thank Dodgerida and everyone else who continues to help me out.

cmeseadoin, it won't necessarily take a whole book (just a ridiculously long thread ). "All-there-is-to-know-about-air-conditioning" can be compared to an extremely complex network diagram. But through the process of elimination, the number of steps involved in solving my very own problem could be considerably shortened. I'll keep your advice in mind, though. When I'm all out of options, there'll probably be nothing else I can do.

Finally, I hate to get on the defensive, but I must add that I followed the rules of the forum and did not mislead anyone as to my level of expertise. I can only assume that if you're reading and getting frustrated, you are doing so by choice.

Jane, I complete admire your attitude and in going back reading the threads, I see that you do understand the stuff and you are learning it. There is nothing wrong with that at all. You're not an idiot at all and I never meant that you were. I think it is great you are learning.....I just spend lots of time in here reading what some people type and so from my end, sometimes I think to myself "oh GOD, another one of these that's gonna take forever and they are not going to be able to understand." You seem to be doing well so perhaps I typed that prematurely and I should not have. Go for it and again, I totally understand and respect your view on things. Personally, I pay no one to do a thing for me. I either know how to do it already or I learn as I go and I challenge myself, so really I do understand. I find that when you pay people, like contractor to come to the house to do things or mechanics, all they want is your bucks. They want to come in, take a ten day job, do it in one day and get the check. They have no work ethic, they are damn near crooks and they DON'T know ANY more than I do. So hell yeah I agree with you....sorry for the premature judgement....that is one of my faults and I am more than willing to admit it in this case because you've obviously proven yourself otherwise!! I just see many of the "other" cases in this forum so that is why I made those remarks. Good job and good luck with it!!! Sorry for judging when I should have done more homework first! :-)

Old 06-22-2004, 05:55 PM   #28
DodgeRida67
Banned

$118 bucks for a shop manual. I'm going to have to pay $180 for my new truck, so thats not bad. Last time I bought one cost me $60.

If you plan on doing your own repair work in the future like you are now, get the manual. If not don't sweat it.

We need to get a wiring diagram for the compressor clutch though to test it right. If you did by chance test it right, at 106 OHMs the clutch is defintaly bad. Idealy it should be around 3.5 OHMs.

I'm going to pay a visit to Advance auto parts today and I'll see if I can look in a Hayne's book and find that diagram.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:54 PM   #29
DodgeRida67
Banned

Bad news - no luck with the Hayne's manual. (although I did find one I needed )

I say you should call some garages and ask them which wires to use to test the OHMs in the clutch coil. It's either that, internet searching, or buy the shop manual.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:45 PM   #30
Pieface
CF Newbie

before you spend your money...

go to advanded auto parts or autozoo(autozone)
and see if you can buy just the a/c clutch or if you have to buy the whole compressor if you can buy the clutch keep going but if not pay the 300 and get the pro to do it compressor's really are tough and your going to have to pay to have your system evacuated by a pro anyways...

note to cm: I'm a mechanic student right now and I honestly believe when I get out in the industry that i will earn every penny I make
Pieface is offline   Reply With Quote