Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 06:28 PM   #1
ak85lp
CF Newbie

Stuck or broken hood release cable, 93 Civic

Hello:

I just found this site through a search on Google. My name is Paul. Thanks in advance if anyone can be any help.

My 1993 Honda Civic LX 4 door has recently not allowed me to open the hood. May be the cable is broken but have no way to tell. When I pull the lever back there is still spring on it and the cable seems taut. I reached my arm as far as I could in between the slots on the front grill to feel the latch above but can't.

Does anyone have a detailed way (or web site with pics) that can tell me how to open it up before I take it into the garage? Once I get it open then I should be able to find the source of the problem. Thanks again.

Paul
Old 06-20-2004, 09:25 PM   #2
SuperJew
I like pie.

1) introduce yourself!

2) moving to R&M

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
Old 06-21-2004, 12:49 AM   #3
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak85lp
Hello:

I just found this site through a search on Google. My name is Paul. Thanks in advance if anyone can be any help.

My 1993 Honda Civic LX 4 door has recently not allowed me to open the hood. May be the cable is broken but have no way to tell. When I pull the lever back there is still spring on it and the cable seems taut. I reached my arm as far as I could in between the slots on the front grill to feel the latch above but can't.

Does anyone have a detailed way (or web site with pics) that can tell me how to open it up before I take it into the garage? Once I get it open then I should be able to find the source of the problem. Thanks again.

Paul

It doesn't sounds like your cable is broken. To tell you the truth it doesnt sound like anything is wrong accept it needs an adjustment.

Did it shut hard prior to this trouble?

What I suggest you do:
Have someone press hard on front of the hood, above the latch. Pull the hood release and hold it out. Tell your helper to let go of the hood and I'm betting it will come up. If it does, wind down the hood stops on the left and right sides about 3-4 turns and you should have no further problems.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:44 AM   #4
ak85lp
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
It doesn't sounds like your cable is broken. To tell you the truth it doesnt sound like anything is wrong accept it needs an adjustment.

Did it shut hard prior to this trouble?

What I suggest you do:
Have someone press hard on front of the hood, above the latch. Pull the hood release and hold it out. Tell your helper to let go of the hood and I'm betting it will come up. If it does, wind down the hood stops on the left and right sides about 3-4 turns and you should have no further problems.

Thanks for the suggestion but that did not fix it. Any other ideas?

Paul
Old 06-30-2004, 11:20 AM   #5
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

If what DodgeRida said did'nt work. Maybe you should try using the proper tools or something smaller and longer to fit inbetween the grill and pop the hood manualy. I'm sure there is something like that in you cars manual on the proper way to open the hood with a broken release cable.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
Old 06-30-2004, 04:08 PM   #6
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
If what DodgeRida said did'nt work. Maybe you should try using the proper tools or something smaller and longer to fit inbetween the grill and pop the hood manualy. I'm sure there is something like that in you cars manual on the proper way to open the hood with a broken release cable.

Yeah, All manuals I've ever read clearly have a section called "If your hood cable breaks, here's what to do."

What you are going to have to do is to try and pop the latch manually or take it to someone that has familiarity with doing this. If in fact the cable is somehow broken or inoperable, you'll have to try and do it manually through the grill or from up underneath. I'd have to see the car to help you anymore.

Maybe if you check your owner's manual, you'll find that "section" that most auto manufactures print about how to release a hood on a vehicle with a broken cable actuator.
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:18 PM   #7
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeseadoin
Yeah, All manuals I've ever read clearly have a section called "If your hood cable breaks, here's what to do."

What you are going to have to do is to try and pop the latch manually or take it to someone that has familiarity with doing this. If in fact the cable is somehow broken or inoperable, you'll have to try and do it manually through the grill or from up underneath. I'd have to see the car to help you anymore.

Maybe if you check your owner's manual, you'll find that "section" that most auto manufactures print about how to release a hood on a vehicle with a broken cable actuator.

Right and I'm sure you personally have read every single car manual to date. I have an older BMW manual that clearly states what to do in such an event and even shows a very detailed diagram.

Thank you for stating my first option in the first place. I'm sure if he reads the same thing twice it just may sink into his brain(3rd times a charm). Also thank you for concluding that if he does'nt know how to do it he should find somone who does. I'm almost postive that thought would have never crossed his mind....

Old 06-30-2004, 05:01 PM   #8
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

Quote:
Right and I'm sure you personally have read every single car manual to date. I have an older BMW manual that clearly states what to do in such an event and even shows a very detailed diagram.

Thank you for stating my first option in the first place. I'm sure if he reads the same thing twice it just may sink into his brain(3rd times a charm). Also thank you for concluding that if he does'nt know how to do it he should find somone who does. I'm almost postive that thought would have never crossed his mind....

DSMer, All I really need to tell you is READ MY SIG.!!! But, I'll SPELL it for ya, how's that? I'm sure I have read FAR more manuals than you have BUD. It seems that the only main benifit you provide on here is simple instruction (because god knows you don't know shit from applebutter about anything technical) as well as telling people to take "it" into a shop and let someone qualified work on it. Why don't we do a search on the value of information you provide VS. the amount of postings I've contributed to and actually solved some problems.....oh wait a minute, I already know the answer. YOU=ZERO VALUE

The fact of the matter is this (and I have told you this before). You are a no-good IDIOT that everytime you pop your head up in here, I am going to shoot you down until I get banned or decide you are not worth my time. I shot you down this time for providing basically worthless information to someone that was looking for specific information in the first place. Then I posted the gist of what you already did just to piss you off, why? Because I am a total asshole to people that I think are not worth their weight in salt AND TO PROVE THE POINT of how technically ignorant you are. You have no value to this chat forum what-so-ever(not based on this posting but remembering a previous conversation), but I suspect I'll be getting replies of how everyone has their right to come in here. So, with that fact already known, just know that when I read something you type with not three brain cells backing it, I'll fire you right back into the hole you came from. My attitude about you is most certainly not formed from this little posting on this subject, rather some of the other stupid shit I've seen come from you in here in the past. When and ONLY when you have some valuable technical assistance to add to this chat forum, why don't you spare us all from reading your ignorant, absent minded, technically illiterate bullshit that you come in here and post!!?? Sounds good to me!!

All we need to do to judge the quality of your responses in here and to illustrate the point I am making is to read your posting regarding a 1999 Ford Taurus with a power steering problem as seen here: http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=4129. Good Job DSmer. I'm sure because of you, she'll have it fixed in no time!! HA! Gee, you did not suggest that they take it in to a qualified mechanic did you in your second posting for that thread???? I bet she NEVER would have THOUGHT of that on her own..... you stupid mother*ucke*
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:20 PM   #9
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
DSMer, All I really need to tell you is READ MY SIG.!!! But, I'll SPELL it for ya, how's that? I'm sure I have read FAR more manuals than you have BUD. It seems that the only main benifit you provide on here is simple instruction (because god knows you don't know shit from applebutter about anything technical) as well as telling people to take "it" into a shop and let someone qualified work on it. Why don't we do a search on the value of information you provide VS. the amount of postings I've contributed to and actually solved some problems.....oh wait a minute, I already know the answer. YOU=ZERO VALUE

The fact of the matter is this (and I have told you this before). You are a no-good IDIOT that everytime you pop your head up in here, I am going to shoot you down until I get banned or decide you are not worth my time. I shot you down this time for providing basically worthless information to someone that was looking for specific information in the first place. Then I posted the gist of what you already did just to piss you off, why? Because I am a total asshole to people that I think are not worth their weight in salt AND TO PROVE THE POINT of how technically ignorant you are. You have no value to this chat forum what-so-ever(not based on this posting but remembering a previous conversation), but I suspect I'll be getting replies of how everyone has their right to come in here. So, with that fact already known, just know that when I read something you type with not three brain cells backing it, I'll fire you right back into the hole you came from. My attitude about you is most certainly not formed from this little posting on this subject, rather some of the other stupid shit I've seen come from you in here in the past. When and ONLY when you have some valuable technical assistance to add to this chat forum, why don't you spare us all from reading your ignorant, absent minded, technically illiterate bullshit that you come in here and post!!?? Sounds good to me!!

All we need to do to judge the quality of your responses in here and to illustrate the point I am making is to read your posting regarding a 1999 Ford Taurus with a power steering problem as seen here: http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=4129. Good Job DSmer. I'm sure because of you, she'll have it fixed in no time!! HA! Gee, you did not suggest that they take it in to a qualified mechanic did you in your second posting for that thread???? I bet she NEVER would have THOUGHT of that on her own..... you stupid mother*ucke*

Hmm, i'll completly ignore the fact that you did'nt seem to disagree with anything remotely in my post above but yet you had to bring in other post to recitfy your "almighty" superiorty of fixing problems(Big whoop your an average grease monkey, with a somewhat mediocre vocabulary). Not to mention you simply restated what I originally said but I guess I'll give you credit for that one. Afterall anyone with 3 working nuerons can see that you posted that original advice.You're funny.... haha "apple butter", and I'll keep giving my simple istructions until you shut your fat ass yapper. You may intimidate other people but theres nothing imtimidating about you and or your shitty half baked signature...So you can waste your oh so prescious problem fixing time insulting me(wich does absolutley nothing for me OR you) or you have a nice cup of stfu. Wich either suits you well, until then you can go piss into the wind.

Old 06-30-2004, 05:40 PM   #10
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Lets help the situation and keep the flames to a minimum.

**it almost seems like a good idea to open up a section named, "Arguments / Flame Wars" **

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
Old 06-30-2004, 05:51 PM   #11
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

Quote:
Hmm, i'll completly ignore the fact that you did'nt seem to disagree with anything remotely in my post above but yet you had to bring in other post to recitfy your "almighty" superiorty of fixing problems(Big whoop your an average grease monkey, with a somewhat mediocre vocabulary). Not to mention you simply restated what I originally said but I guess I'll give you credit for that one. Afterall anyone with 3 working nuerons can see that you posted that original advice.You're funny.... haha "apple butter", and I'll keep giving my simple istructions until you shut your fat ass yapper. You may intimidate other people but theres nothing imtimidating about you and or your shitty half baked signature...So you can waste your oh so prescious problem fixing time insulting me(wich does absolutley nothing for me OR you) or you have a nice cup of stfu. Wich either suits you well, until then you can go piss into the wind.

HAHAHA, again, you're a waist of this forum's time. I must have made you so mad you could not even spell the most simplistic of words. I LOVE IT!! Just look at you, what a piss-poor accompilation of NOTHING. Ontop of all that, I am not a grease monkey by any means, LOL.....I am the VP of Information Technology and operations of a company to which I am partnered and probably make more money a year than you could even add up in your little clueless head. I actually OWN a 2003 Lancer Evolution VIII but I would stake the claim that the yellow one on your profile is just a random pic ain't it. Looks like you're doing something else that shows how bright you are now; making assumptions that I am a mechanic. LOL, that's diabolically hillarious!!! Humor me more shit-stick!!

I happen to own more than 10 cars and I also am extremely talented with doing all the mechanical work. So, I dont know how you figure someone like me gives ten rat shits about you, but you obviously mis-calculated that I would give a damn reading your illiterate, poorly written and gramatically incoherrent response to my posting to you. Your response is merely a juxtaposition of your own thoughts that are bent and twisted to make you seem as if you have credibility when in fact anyone that has read your previous posting in here will know with 100% certainty that you don't have one ioda of it.

Do yourself a favor and jump off a bridge so as to provide the world with one less worthless individual as you've successfully proven yourself to be a moronic POS with no purpose in here. You couldn't fix a flat tire if one bit you on the ass, better yet figure out a complex technical issue with a vehicular mode of transport for love nor money. I've been working on cars since I was 4 years old with my father. Come on down to Richmond, Virginia, I'll teach you a few things about several other subjects outside of the car arena you GD MORON!

Old 06-30-2004, 05:55 PM   #12
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

BAV, I could not agree more.......Can we start one please???? I can lower these stupid idiotic MORONS to level ZERO and I LOVE doing it as you know. Some people such as this have no brains, no education or at least it does not show, and no purpose in here. They come in here and mis-inform people and/or don't provide ANY positive benificial feedback what-so-ever. I'd like to personally stick my foot up their ( o )

Old 06-30-2004, 06:17 PM   #13
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
HAHAHA, again, you're a waist of this forum's time. I must have made you so mad you could not even spell the most simplistic of words. I LOVE IT!! Just look at you, what a piss-poor accompilation of NOTHING. Ontop of all that, I am not a grease monkey by any means, LOL.....I am the VP of Information Technology and operations of a company to which I am partnered and probably make more money a year than you could even add up in your little clueless head. I actually OWN a 2003 Lancer Evolution VIII but I would stake the claim that the yellow one on your profile is just a random pic ain't it. Looks like you're doing something else that shows how bright you are now; making assumptions that I am a mechanic. LOL, that's diabolically hillarious!!! Humor me more shit-stick!!

I happen to own more than 10 cars and I also am extremely talented with doing all the mechanical work. So, I dont know how you figure someone like me gives ten rat shits about you, but you obviously mis-calculated that I would give a damn reading your illiterate, poorly written and gramatically incoherrent response to my posting to you. Your response is merely a juxtaposition of your own thoughts that are bent and twisted to make you seem as if you have credibility when in fact anyone that has read your previous posting in here will know with 100% certainty that you don't have one ioda of it.

Do yourself a favor and jump off a bridge so as to provide the world with one less worthless individual as you've successfully proven yourself to be a moronic POS with no purpose in here. You couldn't fix a flat tire if one bit you on the ass, better yet figure out a complex technical issue with a vehicular mode of transport for love nor money. I've been working on cars since I was 4 years old with my father. Come on down to Richmond, Virginia, I'll teach you a few things about several other subjects outside of the car arena you GD MORON!

What would you like some sort of achievement cookie for your success(if thats even half of all that shit you claim you are)? You wish upon all types of any sort of simplistic goal you could make me mad. Since you just oh so love doing it. Wich in fact, I'm enjoying this just as much as your silly ass is. Although I don't feel the need to use stupid ass words like "ioda".

Blah Blah Blah, you're a rich bastard whom has nothing else better to do with his time than help an entourage of people you don't even know. Or maybe you're just some sort of humaniterian. You fail to forget at the end of the day.. I DON'T KNOW YOU, or could give a bead of sweat off a monkeys ass about you. Maybe if you were so damn experienced and rich, you would have better things to do than launder arround the internet attempting to harass people with your bullshit. I'm just enjoying listening to your crazy ass remarks until I have to drive my ass off to work. So you're my official time passer, because thats all your about good at... that and fixing a whole myriad of mechanical problems(Even that I'll have to give to you). But you're 1 in 100,000's, nothing spectacular. Again you can kiss my ass and go piss into the wind....

Old 06-30-2004, 06:43 PM   #14
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

HAHAHAHA!!!......I tell you what, I'll place my lips on your rotten ass and kiss it the day you afix your lips to my 8====> and suck it big guy. How bout that to pass your "precious" time?

Old 06-30-2004, 06:45 PM   #15
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Obviously help on the question is done.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
Closed Thread