View Poll Results: Which would you choose, 350z or STi
Nissan 350z 6 31.58%
Subaru Impreza WRX STi 13 68.42%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2004, 06:30 PM   #1
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Z vs STi

Hey guys, just another thread we can all mull over.

Id like you all to choose one based on logical reasoning, not just for pure aesthetic appeal or drag performance. Consider categories such as Power, Comfort, MPG, Dependibility, N/A vs Turbo, Mod Potential, Features,Crash Testing, etc. Post your reasons and give the winner based on the stated categories.

Hopefully with your help, i can solve the dilemma in my sig.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 10:15 PM   #2
MOPAR
CF Newbie

Thumbs down

i dont think they like this.
MOPAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 10:34 PM   #3
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

I think turboing is a great idea to get (almost) free horsepower. This is partly why I would choose the STi. Also, it's more "usuable", because it has four doors, instead of two.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:48 AM   #4
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by abless
I think turboing is a great idea to get (almost) free horsepower. This is partly why I would choose the STi. Also, it's more "usuable", because it has four doors, instead of two.

Yeah I don't even see how these two are compared. I would think the STi wins just because it has similar or greater performance with 4 doors. I absolutley hate the seating in Z's. I test drove one and they should offer free ball wipes for how sweaty your nuts get sitting all cramped up.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 02:49 AM   #5
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Oh come on guys, i was expecting much more from you all. Ok, how about we deal with individual categories and state the winner in each.

Power? Goes to the STi

Comfort? Im guessing to the Z

MPG? Z

Dependibility? ???

N/A vs Turbo? Is it better to have a N/A car with the possibility of adding F/I in the future, Or have a car that is already turbo'd?

Mod Potential? Im guessing for now its the STi, but the Z has 6cyl and 3.5l displacement!!! A TT kit with high boost could really raise the Z to whole new level!! What do you think?

Features? Which of the two has better features? (State the features you like)

Crash Testing? I didnt find crash testing scores for the STi, just the scores for the 2.5RS that was tested. Is that good enough? The Z seems to have good scores.

Insurance? Which of the two would have higher insurance for say a 22yr old with a clean record?

Lets try to have some discussion going people.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:02 AM   #6
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Iono man, for some reason its just like either you like one or the other. Personally I would probably buy the STi for my daily driver. Simply because its a daily driver car(as you allready know). But if I had more that one car I would get the 350Z. I'm starting to see to much Subie nowadays.

My friend has a WRX and he blew the tranny on it within a week of buying it and burnt out his clutch(yeah I know what an idiot). We just spent all last week pulling the tranny out(wich might I add could be comparable to that of a large dog in lenght and a fat man in weight) We did'nt have a tranny jack so we had to lift it out to the truck to junk it. Yea If I never have to do a tranny swap on an AWD car again I'll be happy. And I'm the smaller guy so I gotta balance the tranny on an engine jack while under the car and try not to get crushed..

Its kinda bad, I should torture you importluva with pics of a taken apart Subie. Front Axles on da floor, bolts n nuts all over the place, Vaccum lines taken off the engine, shocks on the ground, wheels all about. Yeah it gets nasty...

Old 06-22-2004, 03:16 AM   #7
importluva
Obsessed with imports

He must have raced the hell out of it, poor thing. Those trannies aint that strong, neither is any in any AWD car for that matter. A new one must cost a fortune...
Old 06-22-2004, 03:22 AM   #8
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Hes a lucky sob, one of his buddies owns a WRX had an extra tranny that he got from a wrecked car and thought it would be useful to have just in case. Sold it to him for 1200.

Old 06-22-2004, 03:40 AM   #9
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Thats quite a deal. And i suppose you all will install it, so no charges there.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:42 AM   #10
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Yes, right after I break his legs for collateral. . No I did it for the experience.

Old 06-22-2004, 08:35 PM   #11
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

*Cough, cough* Look at name *cough*

Actually I am going to take this (somewat) unbiased, and with points!
Power: STi (5 pts for STi)
Comfort: STi aint bad, but for a daily driver: Z (5 pts for Z)
MPG: STi aint that bad, but Z (5 pts for Z)
Dependibility: both are great.... but STi (5 pts for STi)
N/A vs Turbo: STi I think could have one (the WRX can) I would do a supercharger before a turbo, but the Turbo would go to the STi, it is not as much a daily driver as a Z (5 pts for STi)
Mod Potential: STi.... the Z is a daily driver (5 pts for STi)
Features: the STi has features for the racer, the Z has it for the daily drivers... tie (5 for STi, 5 for Z)
Crash Testing: both are good, but the Z is more of a daily driver, so can have more safety features than the STi (5 for Z)

End result: 25 STi, 20 Z... STi wins.

The STi then...

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 10:39 PM   #12
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Thanks STiman for approaching this matter in the manner i requested. Now, if you could clarify a few doubts:

How did you decide that the STi is better in this category?

N/A vs Turbo: STi I think could have one (the WRX can) I would do a supercharger before a turbo, but the Turbo would go to the STi, it is not as much a daily driver as a Z (5 pts for STi)

I was questioning whether it is better to have a turbo or N/A. In other words, list the advantages and disadvantages of each. Also, the Z can always be Turbo'd later, so i was wondering if its better to go with N/A.

What are your thoughts on the possibility of the Z's mod potential in the future? After all, it does have 2 more cyl and more displacement...
Old 06-22-2004, 10:44 PM   #13
Solar
Banned

Both are exceptional cars but if I had to choose I would go with the Z mainly because i've been in love with "z" series' Nissans ever since the early '90's. Of course the sti has more power and better handling but the Z, with the right mods from Stillen among others, can be in the same league with z06's, vipers, etc.
Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 08:49 PM   #14
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
Thanks STiman for approaching this matter in the manner i requested. Now, if you could clarify a few doubts:

How did you decide that the STi is better in this category?

I was questioning whether it is better to have a turbo or N/A. In other words, list the advantages and disadvantages of each. Also, the Z can always be Turbo'd later, so i was wondering if its better to go with N/A.

What are your thoughts on the possibility of the Z's mod potential in the future? After all, it does have 2 more cyl and more displacement...
Your Question1: the STi is a slightly older car then the Z, so they have more of the troubles worked out of it.
Your Question2:
General Pluses/ Minuses of Turbos vs. N/A:
+ Turbo: Raw acceleration (sp?) bonus
- Turbo: Decreases driveability in daily drivers
+N/A: You can put in a supercharger
- N/A: It is Naturally Aspirated... not too powerful on average
Your Question3: I just think of a Z as a daily driver... not the type that one sees out on the strip every night... it could get something in the future when they make a new model... but for now the STi dominates in this area between the two...

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:20 PM   #15
Inygknok
El del Supra

im going with the Z..... mainly cuz its a well known factor that Nissan's can challenge Toyota's in durability and dependability (a bitch slap for whomever disagrees). also, i am quite sure those Z's will get alot of power sucked out of them soon, just need to wait for the aftermarket to grow and for tuners to finish their projects.

the sti has the advantage of being a 4 door, so u can just tell ur wife, "but hun, it even has space for the baby!", while for the Z, "you or junior could always go in the trunk, how bout that?"

also, for the strong disadvantage that the Z has set due to the sti's AWD and probably better tuned suspension, gear ratios, and more power, the Z can still match up in tracks and such (circuit, not DSMer's favorite street passtime).

IMO, the Z has alot more potential than the STi, its just a matter of time till proof appears. the STi is for the family man, while the Z is for those guys that are married but aint expecting any kids soon (i dont see it as a young person's car, it looks more suitable for guys in their middle 20's to early 30's).

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote