Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2004, 06:35 PM   #1
[Zach]
CF Newbie

Rear Wheel Drive

Over the last few years I have noticed that there aren't very many rear wheel drive vehicles with a manual transmission available in the United States, does anyone know why this is?
Old 06-21-2004, 06:38 PM   #2
importluva
Obsessed with imports

i believe fwd is cheaper to make and mass produce than the others.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 07:04 PM   #3
TanyasMkIISupra
CF Newbie

actually, RWD is slowly making a comeback (thank gawd)..but the reasons for mass producing the FWD is better traction. It's generally easier to lose control and wreck a RWD car than a FWD.

IMO front wheel is a bigger PITA to work on. I've owned one FWD car, and had to do some serious and simple repairs, all of it was a huge pain
Old 06-21-2004, 07:35 PM   #4
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

thanks 80s ... my corolla (1987) was the last rwd corolla made
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 07:40 PM   #5
Widowmaker2k
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyasMkIISupra
actually, RWD is slowly making a comeback (thank gawd)..but the reasons for mass producing the FWD is better traction. It's generally easier to lose control and wreck a RWD car than a FWD.

IMO front wheel is a bigger PITA to work on. I've owned one FWD car, and had to do some serious and simple repairs, all of it was a huge pain

Yeah, in less than ideal conditions, and at low speed, FWD does get better traction then RWD. I think it is also cheaper and more reliable. RWD is really only better in road-going performance applications, and since there are few of those compared the numbers of mass produced economy cars, there is a lot less RWD cars on the road.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:04 PM   #6
GhettoTaurus
CF Newbie

They also switched to FWD to save space and weight. Drive shafts are pure dead weight, and need space under the car. FWD drive cars usually save 100-200 pounds due to this.

Driveshafts are becomming lighter due to newer and lighter composite metals and design methods and such. So, RWD is more convienient and most people prefer RWD, so car companies are switched back to meet the demand.

Ghetto Power
GhettoTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:09 AM   #7
lutz
Top-Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Zach]
Over the last few years I have noticed that there aren't very many rear wheel drive vehicles with a manual transmission available in the United States, does anyone know why this is?

it's baut traditionally torque intesive motors (mo' stroke, less hp), could damage a manual trans earlier
FWD came later from japan'n euroland, where manual is the standard

Have A Drink On Me!

lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 12:33 PM   #8
Arthur
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k
Yeah, in less than ideal conditions, and at low speed, FWD does get better traction then RWD. I think it is also cheaper and more reliable. RWD is really only better in road-going performance applications, and since there are few of those compared the numbers of mass produced economy cars, there is a lot less RWD cars on the road.
Sweet jesus... someone who understands that RWD is superior only on track..... someone who also understands that FWD has its good spot and isnt insane!! omg... have my children
Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 02:55 PM   #9
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur
Sweet jesus... someone who understands that RWD is superior only on track..... someone who also understands that FWD has its good spot and isnt insane!! omg... have my children

What is your problem? Seriously, what's your deal kid?
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 10:25 PM   #10
cinqyg
CF Freak

well i dont think its posible to say one is better than the other, you have to define the conditions, etc.

RWD can be good for towing for example, track use is another posiblity but it depends on the balence of the car, there is a theortical limit for useable FWD of about 350bhp. But more has been used with some sucess.
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 11:04 PM   #11
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:

You may just be looking at the wrong types of vehicles...all three of my vehicles are RWD and they are all offered here in the U.S.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 11:13 PM   #12
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
You may just be looking at the wrong types of vehicles...all three of my vehicles are RWD and they are all offered here in the U.S.

Well its a policy of beemers to make most of there cars RWD, the mini isnt im not sure of the compact is but the main ones are all rwd and the older ones can be interesting to drive in snow and ice because of it.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:23 AM   #13
jcutsh
CF Enthusiast

Quote:

Most cars sold are used to get to work or go shopping. Car companies could care less about the people who like to "get on it" every once in a while. They just want to make money. The car must start every time. It must get good gas milage, and people are to lazy to drive and want an automatic transmission. They just want to get to work and they want to do it in comfort and style. They want to talk on their cellphones and read a book or eat, and let the car drive itself. A gearshift would get in the way of the food bag.

The front wheel drive car gets better gas milage due to the fact the power developed does not change direction as applied to the wheels. The rear end in a RWD looses about 30% of the engine power due to the 90 degree change in applied direction. Power travels through the rearend at a 90 degree angle. So a RWD needs a bigger engine to provide the same Hp to the ground. That burns gas. This is why we have RWHP (rear wheel horse power) and engine crank Hp.

Now, my right foot weighs about 217 lbs and the twitch I have in my shoulder prevents me from driving in a straight line, so all my cars are RWD.

RWD has always been supreme on the road course, just as a manual transmission has always been best for racing. A manual tranny can always select the engine rpm and torque to the proper conditions. A car would rather be pushed through a turn then pulled.

The drag track is a whole other story. Wait till someone puts a 454 big block sideways in a car, and then watch the records fall.

Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumba$$ question will inevitably appear smarta$$ed"
jcutsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 12:35 PM   #14
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcutsh
Most cars sold are used to get to work or go shopping. Car companies could care less about the people who like to "get on it" every once in a while. They just want to make money. The car must start every time. It must get good gas milage, and people are to lazy to drive and want an automatic transmission. They just want to get to work and they want to do it in comfort and style. They want to talk on their cellphones and read a book or eat, and let the car drive itself. A gearshift would get in the way of the food bag.

The front wheel drive car gets better gas milage due to the fact the power developed does not change direction as applied to the wheels. The rear end in a RWD looses about 30% of the engine power due to the 90 degree change in applied direction. Power travels through the rearend at a 90 degree angle. So a RWD needs a bigger engine to provide the same Hp to the ground. That burns gas. This is why we have RWHP (rear wheel horse power) and engine crank Hp.

Now, my right foot weighs about 217 lbs and the twitch I have in my shoulder prevents me from driving in a straight line, so all my cars are RWD.

RWD has always been supreme on the road course, just as a manual transmission has always been best for racing. A manual tranny can always select the engine rpm and torque to the proper conditions. A car would rather be pushed through a turn then pulled.

The drag track is a whole other story. Wait till someone puts a 454 big block sideways in a car, and then watch the records fall.

Well if your going to make a drag car then the ideal would be rear engined with a transverse mounted engine, there arnt alot of gearboxes built for it though.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:52 AM   #15
Cliffy
CF Loafer

In my opinion, RWD is always far supirior to FWD. I think you'll find that most cars in general are now FWD, apart from sports cars...and BMW's & most Mercs. I'll never understand why people trhink FWD cars handle better than RWD cars when really it's the person driving who aint doing it right

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote