Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2004, 05:05 PM   #1
Raven
CF Newbie

Best B series?

Right now I'm going to drop a B18C1 into my 98 Civic Lx is that the best choice?
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 05:11 PM   #2
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
Right now I'm going to drop a B18C1 into my 98 Civic Lx is that the best choice?

First - I'd place it carefully...if at all.

Second - Is it the best choice for what?

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 05:46 PM   #3
Solar
Banned

It all depends what application your using the engine with... If you you're looking for reliability and and a general increase in power go with the B series. However, they are becoming quickly outdated with the newer K series engines in the RSX, Accord, etc. K series have much more power than the b16a, b18c, etc. So if you want to see a pretty big increase in hp and torque, go with a K series. I beleive the K20 is in the rsx type S and produces over 200hp.
Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 07:59 PM   #4
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind

I think it is 200hp. That is the max stats on the RSX, the Accord uses the same engine? I didnt kno that, I do not know much about honda engines, ahaha. I would go with the K20 though, much better power increase, and i doubt you have to worry about reliability since all honda engines are pretty reliable. Unless you install it wrong.

--2004 Acura TL Dynamic--
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:23 PM   #5
Inygknok
El del Supra

actually, the B18C7 has more power than the K series engine, but the C7 is a pretty rare engine that costs a pretty penny, so i dont think its worth it. there's also the H22A1, but its a heavy engine. the most expensive version of the h22 (the a1) has around 225hp if im not mistaken, but still, the K series is cheaper, technology is far more advanced, and light, so its the best choice. its just a matter of time until the japs release a version o fthat engine with a high compression level.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 12:51 AM   #6
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Yeah I'm with Inygknok on that one. I would advise putting a K20 inside of a Civic. The B18c would probably be your best choice. Thats what most honda guys do and it works out for them well. And how much does a brand new RSX engine cost? The B18c is about 4500 the K20 has gotta be in the 5k range.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 11:03 PM   #7
Lukaz
CF-Mitsucolt

I have a B seris engine in my civic

If you gonna put it in becareful its a costly mistake if it goes wrong

Mitsubishi Mirage 1.6i 16V GLX - My New lil runner this year
Lukaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 09:53 PM   #8
jzxTT
CF Addict

Why does everyone wanna swap? If you dont know a good choice engine Im guessing you dont know what you're doing. just stick with what you got. I dont know of anyone who swaps anything into a 98 civic, your carz a 98 why would you waste your money droppin a b18c in a fairly new car? just buy an integra for same amount of money and call it a day.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:09 PM   #9
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzxTT
Why does everyone wanna swap? If you dont know a good choice engine Im guessing you dont know what you're doing. just stick with what you got. I dont know of anyone who swaps anything into a 98 civic, your carz a 98 why would you waste your money droppin a b18c in a fairly new car? just buy an integra for same amount of money and call it a day.

Why does anyone engine swap? If YOU don't know the reason to that I'm also guessing you don't know what you're talking about. If he wanted an Integra he would buy one, but he does'nt he has a Civic. Everyone is always talking about go buy this go buy that car, unless you're finna buy him an Integra I'd suggest you close your yapper. Its his car; he asked for advice, not your critisism.

I'm sure your comment really helped him. You've managed to complete abosolutley nothing. Congrats .

Old 07-02-2004, 04:55 AM   #10
jzxTT
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Why does anyone engine swap? If YOU don't know the reason to that I'm also guessing you don't know what you're talking about. If he wanted an Integra he would buy one, but he does'nt he has a Civic. Everyone is always talking about go buy this go buy that car, unless you're finna buy him an Integra I'd suggest you close your yapper. Its his car; he asked for advice, not your critisism.

I'm sure your comment really helped him. You've managed to complete abosolutley nothing. Congrats .
you should really mind ur own man... im not being a smart ass im sayin if he would realize what he has isnt that bad than he wouldnt need to spend 4 thou on a swap, but instead put four thou into his car, cosmetics, engine, suspension ect. DDAAMM u post a lot ~450 in less than a month. take a walk to the park or something. JP. its really addicting.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:30 AM   #11
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
you should really mind ur own man... im not being a smart ass im sayin if he would realize what he has isnt that bad than he wouldnt need to spend 4 thou on a swap, but instead put four thou into his car, cosmetics, engine, suspension ect. DDAAMM u post a lot ~450 in less than a month. take a walk to the park or something. JP. its really addicting.
*Sigh*
Maybe if you spent less time critisizing peoples cars and actually trying to help them, you might have 450 post. Instead, in every single engine swap thread you repeatedly say: "Go buy this" or "you should have bought this". They have what they have. Obviously this guys wants an all motor car and not just some cosmetic rice rocket like you're suggesting. Anyone with at least 3 working nuerons can tell that 4K worth of ugprades on a honda spread throughout cosmetic/engine/and suspension won't get him jack shit.

Again, you obviously must not understand the whole concept behind swapping your engine out for a better and newer one. Provided that you did know, you would not be wasting your time making stupid half assed comments about what he should purchase. You're not a car salesman, and if you are, thats not what this guy needs.

Old 07-02-2004, 07:29 AM   #12
jzxTT
CF Addict

Quote:
*Sigh*
Maybe if you spent less time critisizing peoples cars and actually trying to help them, you might have 450 post. Instead, in every single engine swap thread you repeatedly say: "Go buy this" or "you should have bought this". They have what they have. Obviously this guys wants an all motor car and not just some cosmetic rice rocket like you're suggesting. Anyone with at least 3 working nuerons can tell that 4K worth of ugprades on a honda spread throughout cosmetic/engine/and suspension won't get him jack shit.

Again, you obviously must not understand the whole concept behind swapping your engine out for a better and newer one. Provided that you did know, you would not be wasting your time making stupid half assed comments about what he should purchase. You're not a car salesman, and if you are, thats not what this guy needs.
My car was 11 years old,Thats why I have a jdmB16 in my integra.... Newer engine, because the old b18a had 170k miles on it, now would ******I******* swap anything in a *98* integra *98* civic. **NO** and that my friend is my own opinion. As far as 4 thousand dollars not getting you "jack shit", well.. 4 thousand in an engine could get you headers, intake, exhaust, camshafts,camgears, port and polish heads, rods, msd ignition, and more goodies. but that ~120hp gain is "jack shit" right? lol. We all have our own opinions and thats mine. my conversation is with him in his thread not you so MIND YOUR OWN BUSSINESS
Old 07-02-2004, 07:46 AM   #13
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
My car was 11 years old,Thats why I have a jdmB16 in my integra.... Newer engine, because the old b18a had 170k miles on it, now would ******I******* swap anything in a *98* integra *98* civic. **NO** and that my friend is my own opinion. As far as 4 thousand dollars not getting you "jack shit", well.. 4 thousand in an engine could get you headers, intake, exhaust, camshafts,camgears, port and polish heads, rods, msd ignition, and more goodies. but that ~120hp gain is "jack shit" right? lol. We all have our own opinions and thats mine. my conversation is with him in his thread not you so MIND YOUR OWN BUSSINESS

i agree, swapping an engine into a pretty much brand new car is rather pointless unless its going to be used as a race application (seriously though, not just mess around like this guy probably wants to do) or just for show or the damn heck of being the first guy to do so or some other weird similar reason. hell, my car is from the '88, and im just having the engine sent to a machine shop cuz none of the other owners ever did except to balance the rotating assembly, so its to my advantage, else i would have to worry about machining being done to it before and the engine probably having been machined too much to be of any more use.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 07:49 AM   #14
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
4K worth of ugprades on a honda spread throughout cosmetic/engine/and suspension won't get him jack shit.

Quote:

Who cares about you or your friends shitty Civic? Learn to read, and shut up... you don't know anything. Learn something about value of actually increasing the performance on cars other than some shitty headers and cam gears. Until then you can go piss into the wind.

*Edit*
You're also not familiar with a forum. You're not having a conversation you dumbass. You're posting replys in a forum for somone to check. You speak to everyone when you post you dumbass.

Last edited by DSMer : 07-02-2004 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:24 AM   #15
jzxTT
CF Addict

geez enough with the name calling.... seriously. This site should be rated M for mature so people like you wont ruin it by talking shit. I mean really your saying I should learn how to read when I didnt mention anything about anyones friends civic, where did you read that, Oh thats right you didnt read correctly idiot. take your own advice and shut up. What do you think he's gonna do even if he does swap? get headers, exhaust ect. And that would be ^^INCREASING PERFORMANCE^^ right? I happen to know my fair share about cars and Im giving him my , I dont need a lecture from some punk kid who probobly doesnt have ..... what kinda car do you have?.

I dont know anything?>?> Take the time to read this mr.Flamer

The Honda B-series engine can be likened to the venerable small block Chevy. It has powered two generations of hot rodders and is still going strong for the domestic camp as the engine of choice for an amazing third generation. Conceived in the mid '50s, the small block Chevy is stronger than ever, pumping out more than 400 hp in the latest Corvette Z06. In racing, the mouse engine, as it's affectionately called, serves yeoman duty propelling the fastest Winston Cup cars and many classes of domestic drag racing to victory. Even though the engine's design is older than most of us and has a crude (by today's standards) pushrod OHV, two-valve head architecture, the latest variants of this engine have an impressive power density. It has always been popular to the performance crowd and has tremendous aftermarket support, the best for any engine ever made.

The Honda B-series engine is the import enthusiast equivalent to the small block Chevy. It has enjoyed tremendous popularity as the performance engine of choice for the Honda/Acura nut. Stock in the Acura Integra, del Sol Si and the Civic Si, the B-series is also a popular and very easy swap into the lightweight Civic, making the classic hot rod: a powerful engine swapped into the most compact and light chassis. Since the B engine was available even more widely in the Japanese domestic market (JDM), there's an abundance of relatively cheap used JDM engines imported here to serve as a base for hybrid Civic swaps or other build-ups.

The B-series has gone through an evolution of sorts. The final most developed version is the B18C5, the rare powerplant found under the hood of the Integra Type R. This variant of the B-series pumped out an impressive 195 hp in stock naturally aspirated form. This is an amazing feat of more than 100 hp per liter, more than some factory turbocharged and supercharged engines. The B16A, first found under the hood of the del Sol Si was the first production auto engine to produce more than 100 hp per liter.

Honda's superior engineering helps the B engine put out amazing levels of power from small displacements. The B is blessed with excellent combustion chambers of a pentroof design, featuring a shallow included angle. This helps efficiency, as a shallow included angle has a lower surface-to-volume area to insure that more heat energy is used to drive the piston rather than heat the water jacket. The intake and exhaust ports, as well as the valves, are generously sized and contoured correctly for excellent flow right out of the box. Many variants of the B engine also have generous quench zones in the cylinder head to help improve combustion stability by improving fuel-air mixing and turbulent combustion.

The big B also features a lightweight die cast aluminum block with strong semi-girdled main caps and a fully counterweighted high alloy steel forged crankshaft. Forged high alloy steel rods with large bolts and generous caps combined with an excellent oiling system make bottom end failure on these engines almost unheard of.

Although many import engines from the established Japanese car makes like Nissan, Mitsubishi and Toyota share some or all of these excellent traits, Honda still has an ace up its sleeve with its wonderful innovation, VTEC. VTEC is what sets the B engines apart from other production engines. Short for Variable valve Timing with Electronic Control, it's Honda's system that combines the smooth idle, decent low-end power, good fuel economy and low emissions of a stock cam with the top end charging, high-rpm power of a nearly full-race cam. VTEC has none of a race cam's disadvantages like poor idle quality, total lack of low end power, poor part throttle driveabilty, poor fuel mileage and hydrocarbon rich tailpipe effluent.

The short-duration, low-lift, low-rpm cam lobes activate the intake and exhaust valves at partial throttle and low rpm, but when you boot it, the high-rpm, high-lift, long-duration center lobe is activated and the engine really sings. The high-rpm lobe has a lift and duration close to that of a full race cam, allowing VTEC-equipped B engines to rev to astronomical limits, like 8000 to 9000 rpm in stock form.

Unfortunately, the year 2001 was the production swan song of the mighty B engine. But fear not Honda fans. The B's easy availability on the used market and the tons of aftermarket support for this engine family will ensure the engine's longevity in the world of import performance. Most of the B engine's parts interchange between variants, making all sorts of interesting power and displacement combinations possible. This interchangeability also increases the used parts pool considerably. I'd bet many of these engines will be hopped up many years from now as hot rod projects for some of us when we retire, much like the small block Chevy is the engine of choice for the aging baby boomers retirement project T-Bucket.

The first of the popular B engines were the B18A (1990-1993) and B18B (1994-2000), commonly known as the "LS " engine (they were standard equipment for the LS Acura Integra from 1990 to 2000). These engines feature a bore of 81mm and a stroke of 89mm for a displacement of 1835cc and a compression ratio of 9.2:1. These engines pumped out 140 hp, an impressive amount of power for the displacement even today. LS engines don't have the much-desired VTEC but respond well to mods. The LS enjoys plenty of aftermarket support and are cheap and plentiful in junkyards for those wishing to make a low-buck but potent hybrid Civic. With the long 89mm of stroke, these engines are known to put out more torque than your average Honda.

The first of the VTEC B engines was the B17A1, making its appearance in the 1992-1993 Integra GS-R. This somewhat rare engine featured a 81mm bore with a 81.4mm stroke for a displacement of 1678cc and a compression ratio of 9.7:1. This first use of VTEC in a U.S. domestic market Honda four-cylinder pumped out an impressive 160 hp. Strangely, this engine was smaller than the base LS Integra engine. Why Honda/Acura chose to do this is beyond us. The B17A1 head on the B18A1-B1 bottom end would've been awesome.

The next VTEC B engine to hit our shores was the small but mighty B16A2-A3 which powered the 1995 to 1999 del Sol Si VTEC. The mighty mite featured a 81mm bore with a short, high revving 77mm stroke. With 1587cc of screaming power and a high 10.2:1 compression, the little B16A pumped out 160 hp, making it the first mass produced naturally aspirated engine to put out more than 100 hp per liter. In 1998 to 2000 the B16A also powered the mighty sixth-generation Civic Si. The closely related, almost identical or JDM B16A was available in Japan on many vehicles from 1989 to 2000, making this a fairly common and cheap engine in the import junkyards. The JDM B16A is an ideal engine to drop into your third to sixth generation Civic to give it a fairly economical VTEC fix. The JDM B16A head can also be grafted onto non-VTEC B engines to convert them to VTEC fairly cheaply.

In mid 1993, the Integra GS-R was given a greater power fix in the form of the highly desirable B18C1. This VTEC engine featured an 81mm bore and an 87.2mm stroke and a high 10:1 compression ratio, resulting in 170 hp. The import junkyard available JDM B18C1 was almost identical but had a higher 10.6:1 compression and made 180 hp. Not only do these engines have a ton of aftermarket support, they also drop right into most third- to sixth-generation Civics with little modification to create a very potent machine. In a lightweight Civic, it's possible to have a docile car that grandma could drive with factory-like reliability and fuel economy that can rip off a high 13-second pass at the strip. In 1997, the B18C5 was introduced in the limited production Integra Type R. This engine pumped out an incredible 195 hp right from the factory. The differences between the B18C1 and the B18C5 are more than you would think. The B18C5 has an open combustion chambered head with little quench, much like the B16A, with the same intake manifold port and bolt configuration as the B16A. The head is hand ported at the factory by Honda technicians. The C5 has a simple intake manifold with larger shorter runners and a larger plenum chamber. The engine also has a very high 11:1 compression with cams featuring higher lift and longer duration. The valve springs have been redesigned for these cams. The exhaust manifold is a fabricated stainless steel tubular header. The good news is these hotter factory parts will interchange along the entire B-series family line.

Perhaps the best and most popular use for a B engine is to be dropped into a small and lightweight Civic. This is especially cool and easy in third to sixth generation Civics. Hasport makes engine swap kits to make these conversions a relatively simple weekend project. A slightly warmed over B engine in a Civic, especially a light third- to fifth-generation Civic, has the potential to be a low-buck giant killer.

Last edited by jzxTT : 07-02-2004 at 08:31 AM.
jzxTT is offline   Reply With Quote