Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2003, 05:06 AM   #1
teen1216
 
Posts: n/a
New car-What to get for my 1st car?

Before the middle of August, I have to have a car to get around to school etc. and so my parents are willing to pay part. They will pay around 12k and I can pay about 7 maybe 8-8.5 grand. Unfortunately, they have set a lot of limits.
Major preference on American - it is pretty doubtful they will allow me to get a foreign vehicle. Also, they want it to be new because they feel it will have less problems. If it was used, it would have to be immaculate with very low mileage so it is almost out of the question. No sports cars and a major bias against coupes. They want it to be safe. They would also prefer it be a car rather than a truck or SUV but that is not as hard a line. I have looked at the Pontiac Grand Prix and with its current discount it seems to be an ok choice. I'm not too thrilled with it though. My questions is what would you get (or try to) if you were in my situation?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 06:34 AM   #2
slavboy1
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 42
Well i think i would get new parents...i dunno dude i'll rack my brain and try to think of somthing for you but from what you've said it looks like Taurus station wagon is you're sole option :?
__________________
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight it's the size of the fight in the dog"
slavboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 11:50 AM   #3
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur
 
snoopewite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: England
Posts: 782
A Ford Focus 2.0 16v five-door hatchback would fit your parents’ guidelines. Would a three to five year old car be too old for your parents liking because cars depreciate heavily for up to the first four years after being bought brand new? The Focus won some kind of German award for reliability so your parents needn't expect up to a five year old Focus that's done 60k miles to fall apart. Of course something like a top of the range, class leading, three year old Ford Focus with 35k miles on the clock would be a lot less than $20,000.
__________________
This signature is in memory of vwhobo 03-26-2003 - 04-27-2004
The vwhobo fan club lives on for as long as his e-spirit lurks around these forums.
Late vwhobo fan club members - R34RB30DETTV, SuperJew, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty101, Integra_LS, Karburator, DodgeRida67, Bubba, Importluva and snoopewite - instigator of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 05:01 PM   #4
teen1216
 
Posts: n/a
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. Yes, I seem to be quite limited. :? A Focus hatchback isn't out of the question, except my brother just bought one last summer and therefore I would prefer to not have the same car.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 11:54 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Re: New car-What to get for my 1st car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teen1216
Before the middle of August, I have to have a car to get around to school etc. and so my parents are willing to pay part. They will pay around 12k and I can pay about 7 maybe 8-8.5 grand. Unfortunately, they have set a lot of limits.
Major preference on American - it is pretty doubtful they will allow me to get a foreign vehicle. Also, they want it to be new because they feel it will have less problems. If it was used, it would have to be immaculate with very low mileage so it is almost out of the question. No sports cars and a major bias against coupes. They want it to be safe. They would also prefer it be a car rather than a truck or SUV but that is not as hard a line. I have looked at the Pontiac Grand Prix and with its current discount it seems to be an ok choice. I'm not too thrilled with it though. My questions is what would you get (or try to) if you were in my situation?

Before we get to car choice let's talk about your personal choices. You say your parents have set limits, but they can only do that if you allow them to. Anytime a friend of my son (19) bitches that they are limited to the type of car that they can have he tells them the same thing. Screw your parents money. Get a freaking job and pay for your own car. If they have no financial input they also have no say in the matter. So you see you are allowing and from my experience asking them to control the situation. If you don't do it on your own DO NOT complain about limited choice.

From there you have 7K to spend on a car with some left over for insurance, gas, etc. You should have no trouble whatsoever finding something you want. Hell with that kind of money you could get a street bike and a truck to haul it in. Good luck.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 02:52 AM   #6
teen1216
 
Posts: n/a
Thanks for the response. I have looked for a job, but no one around here wants to hire me at this age (am not 16 yet, will be in Aug). Also, my sixteen year old friends have had major touble finding jobs as well. Then, it is doubtful my parents will let me have a job working more than very few hours when school starts because of their focus on academics. Well, then I still have the money in the bank. Unfortunately, that account is set up so that for a withdrawal they would have to approve it as well. So any car I purchased would still have to be approved by them. Makes the situation a bit tricky at this point.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 01:31 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by teen1216
Thanks for the response. I have looked for a job, but no one around here wants to hire me at this age (am not 16 yet, will be in Aug). Also, my sixteen year old friends have had major touble finding jobs as well. Then, it is doubtful my parents will let me have a job working more than very few hours when school starts because of their focus on academics. Well, then I still have the money in the bank. Unfortunately, that account is set up so that for a withdrawal they would have to approve it as well. So any car I purchased would still have to be approved by them. Makes the situation a bit tricky at this point.

It looks like they have you by the short and curlies. In that case I totally agree with slayboy1, get new parents. Look for somebody like me. 8)
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 04:28 PM   #8
teen1216
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo

It looks like they have you by the short and curlies. In that case I totally agree with slayboy1, get new parents. Look for somebody like me. 8)

Thanks, I'll check the classifieds.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 07:21 PM   #9
84_Jetta_GLi
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavboy1
Well i think i would get new parents...i dunno dude i'll rack my brain and try to think of somthing for you but from what you've said it looks like Taurus station wagon is you're sole option :?

NEW PARENTS!!!? i wouldnt be pissing the sheets if my parents gave up 12k for a car!! wtf!? god damn my dad wouldnt even pay for temps to drive my car home for **** sakes!
__________________
Life sucks, and then you drive.

You don't "drive" a car, you "wear" it like clothes.

You can't race a house, but you can sleep in a car

R.I.P ~ Betsy (1988-2003)
84_Jetta_GLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 12:29 AM   #10
TM875
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite
Would a three to five year old car be too old for your parents liking because cars depreciate heavily for up to the first four years after being bought brand new? The Focus won some kind of German award for reliability so your parents needn't expect up to a five year old Focus that's done 60k miles to fall apart. Of course something like a top of the range, class leading, three year old Ford Focus with 35k miles on the clock would be a lot less than $20,000.

Don't (repeat: DO NOT) buy a used Focus. I love mine, but it's a newer model. The original Foci had major problems in America. That being said; by mid August all the deals will be running for '03 cars. You could probably find a SVT Focus for about 18k. If you don't like Foci, a Chrysler Sebring (17.5k), Oldsmobile Alero (17.6k), or the ever present Dodge Neon (16k) would work too. You have a lot of options here!
TM875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 11:49 AM   #11
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur
 
snoopewite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: England
Posts: 782
TM875, what were the major problems that the original Focus had in America? Up until what year are you saying that the Focus in America has been defective? How have they changed the newer ones since the older ones, apart from pointlessly changing the front bumper a couple of times?

teen1216, you could always modify your Focus if you did get one to make it stand out over your brother's ) You wouldn't need to do anything extreme to it but then there's three things that I don't know -
1. Is the problem with your brother having a Focus because if you got one, it wouldn't be new to you, or because you both live with your parents and they'd be two of the same car in the drive as well as people saying that you've copied him?
2. Would your car just be a means of transport to you or would it be something that you'd want to be proud of?
3. Your brother's Focus isn't modified, an ST170 or an RS is it?
__________________
This signature is in memory of vwhobo 03-26-2003 - 04-27-2004
The vwhobo fan club lives on for as long as his e-spirit lurks around these forums.
Late vwhobo fan club members - R34RB30DETTV, SuperJew, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty101, Integra_LS, Karburator, DodgeRida67, Bubba, Importluva and snoopewite - instigator of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 02:19 PM   #12
57ock
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by teen1216
Thanks for the response. I have looked for a job, but no one around here wants to hire me at this age (am not 16 yet, will be in Aug). Also, my sixteen year old friends have had major touble finding jobs as well. Then, it is doubtful my parents will let me have a job working more than very few hours when school starts because of their focus on academics. Well, then I still have the money in the bank. Unfortunately, that account is set up so that for a withdrawal they would have to approve it as well. So any car I purchased would still have to be approved by them. Makes the situation a bit tricky at this point.

Damn, I wouldn't be complaining
__________________
www.car-forums.com
57ock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 10:15 PM   #13
teen1216
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite
teen1216, you could always modify your Focus if you did get one to make it stand out over your brother's You wouldn't need to do anything extreme to it but then there's three things that I don't know: -
1. Is the problem with your brother having a Focus because if you got one, it wouldn't be new to you, or because you both live with your parents and they'd be two of the same car in the drive as well as people saying that you've copied him?
2. Would your car just be a means of transport to you or would it be something that you'd want to be proud of?
3. Your brother's Focus isn't modified, an ST170 or an RS is it?

1. All those really, plus I am not very impressed with the ZX5 (his ride).
2. latter obviously
3. Nope

Currently I'm looking at wrx, pt gt, stratus/intrepid, grand prix, and maybe a mini....wish I could get manual but seems to be impossible to convince the parents.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 11:34 PM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by teen1216
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite
teen1216, you could always modify your Focus if you did get one to make it stand out over your brother's You wouldn't need to do anything extreme to it but then there's three things that I don't know: -
1. Is the problem with your brother having a Focus because if you got one, it wouldn't be new to you, or because you both live with your parents and they'd be two of the same car in the drive as well as people saying that you've copied him?
2. Would your car just be a means of transport to you or would it be something that you'd want to be proud of?
3. Your brother's Focus isn't modified, an ST170 or an RS is it?

1. All those really, plus I am not very impressed with the ZX5 (his ride).
2. latter obviously
3. Nope

Currently I'm looking at wrx, pt gt, stratus/intrepid, grand prix, and maybe a mini....wish I could get manual but seems to be impossible to convince the parents.

I'm sure this will piss somebody off but after reading this thread several times only three words come to mind.

Little rich kid!
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 12:11 AM   #15
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur
 
snoopewite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: England
Posts: 782
vwhobo, lets see if teen1216 can come up with something better than -
"vwhobo you suck. =)"
You and your nastygrams lol
__________________
This signature is in memory of vwhobo 03-26-2003 - 04-27-2004
The vwhobo fan club lives on for as long as his e-spirit lurks around these forums.
Late vwhobo fan club members - R34RB30DETTV, SuperJew, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty101, Integra_LS, Karburator, DodgeRida67, Bubba, Importluva and snoopewite - instigator of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.