Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2004, 01:34 AM   #16
importluva
Obsessed with imports

I say IS300. The options on both cars are very expensive, the BMW even more expensive than the IS. Besides, Lexus reliability, mechanical quality, and customer service are unrivaled, so think of your priorities. I would say the aftermarket for the IS is good as long as the supra's parts are still around.

BTW, Dinan is such a waste of money it makes me puke. BMWs are great cars but just insanely expensive to purchase, maintain, and upgrade.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 05:10 AM   #17
MaChao
CF Newbie

I got the IS300 because I like the design better. In terms of power, I don't care because I'm not racing the thing. I'm just glad I have 200+ hp.

Secondly, I didn't want a European car. I wanted a Japanese model.

I didn't even look at the BMWs because I didn't want to associate myself with BMWs. It's all about image!

Haha...I don't really have a legitimate reason for why YOU should get an IS300 though. BMWs are good too. I have nothing against them...not much anyways.
Old 06-25-2004, 05:12 AM   #18
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Reliabiltiy, customer serivce, mechanical quality? You're naming all stuff that BMW has, even before Lexus even made IS's. BMW by far kills Lexus in any comparible competition. Lexus is good, but nowhere near status of even stepping up to bat in the BMW ballpark.

A far as the DINAN, people give a Lexus to local shops. You gotta take a BMW to a profressional. Thats all I really have to say for the performance aspects of a BMW. You pay for quality.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 05:34 AM   #19
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Research is your best friend.
Look here for long term dependibility. Where is Lexus and where is BMW?

BMW 3-series vs Lexus IS300

You sir need to do research before making such bold statements.
Old 06-25-2004, 05:58 AM   #20
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Reliabiltiy, customer serivce, mechanical quality? You're naming all stuff that BMW has, even before Lexus even made IS's. BMW by far kills Lexus in any comparible competition. Lexus is good, but nowhere near status of even stepping up to bat in the BMW ballpark.

A far as the DINAN, people give a Lexus to local shops. You gotta take a BMW to a profressional. Thats all I really have to say for the performance aspects of a BMW. You pay for quality.

Having owned both (I hope doesn't come across as bragging) I would have to respectfully disagree. Lexus treats the customer far better than BMW treats their customer. I prefer the BMW car, but can only wish to have the kind of service given to me at BMW that I received at ALL Lexus dealerships that I patronized! Lexus puts customer first. Lexus offers free loaners to walk-ins, BMW you must make an appt. and if one is available, you MAY get it. It's up to the discretion of the Service Mgr. I've been given the excuse that he needs it to get home...or that there are none available when I can clearly see a dozen or so.

I've dealt with both. Lexus wins at customer service -- hands down!

If you like that kind of treatment (which I do) I'd say there is no competition!

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 06:02 AM   #21
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Haha, thats pretty bad Bav. No Unlike importluva I choose not to base my complete decision off of some buletin by some people who conduct a survey(of wich everyone who owns that particular brand of car does'nt even respond to). My Father owned 5 BMW's and hes never even had to visit customer service, unless he was paying for his tune-up.

Well irreguardless. I still have to say that BMW will last far longer than any lexus I've ever seen.

Old 06-25-2004, 06:03 AM   #22
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Haha, thats pretty bad Bav. No Unlike importluva I choose not to base my complete decision off of some buletin by some people who conduct a survey(of wich everyone who owns that particular brand of car does'nt even respond to). My Father owned 5 BMW's and hes never even had to visit customer service, unless he was paying for his tune-up.

Well irreguardless. I still have to say that BMW will last far longer than any lexus I've ever seen.

I never mentioned reliability of the vehicles.

And I too prefer to drive a BMW over a Lexus.

Old 06-25-2004, 06:05 AM   #23
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Well I've never known anyone to own a BMW go in for a serious repair. BMWs should'nt have to touch dealership garages until after 160,000. And who needs customer service when you car can outlast longer than you'll ever need it to..

Old 06-25-2004, 06:08 AM   #24
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Quote:

well, i consider them trustworthy, so i base most of my claims on their research. Whether their research is suitable for YOU to trust is not my concern.

PS. What exactly is the meaning of "irregaurdless"?
Old 06-25-2004, 06:13 AM   #25
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Well I've never known anyone to own a BMW go in for a serious repair. BMWs should'nt have to touch dealership garages until after 160,000. And who needs customer service when you car can outlast longer than you'll ever need it to..

Again...we differ. If you don't think there's any important maint. until at or after 160k miles...I wouldn't consider buying a BMW from you or anyone with that frame of mind. It certainly doesn't need to be a BMW dealer either. A certified BMW mechanic does just fine.

Old 06-25-2004, 06:13 AM   #26
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

ir·re·gard·less
[Probably blend of irrespective, and regardless.]
Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades
and will probably continue to be so.

Irregardless

adv : in spite of everything; without regard to drawbacks; "he carried on regardless of the difficulties"

So yes, it is a word. You are one of the many people to try and comment about it. Maybe you should "research" the dictionary.... I'm also aware I spelled it wrong...

*EDIT*
Oh no Bav maintanence yeah, but I'm talking about like serious engine work. Who would never maintain a car until after 160,000miles what am I crazy?

Last edited by DSMer : 06-25-2004 at 06:17 AM.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:22 AM   #27
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Quote:
I'm also aware I spelled it wrong...

Thats all i need to know
Old 06-25-2004, 06:29 AM   #28
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
*EDIT*
Oh no Bav maintanence yeah, but I'm talking about like serious engine work. Who would never maintain a car until after 160,000miles what am I crazy?

Come now...you cannot hold BMW up so high...even I understand there are short-comings in the line. Take my wife's '97 740i (e38) it is well known that the radiator is garbage and goes out right around 50k miles. Goodness...BMW even lowered the price of the part because it was guaranteed to break with uncanny accuracy. Well, ours lasted to 62k miles...and sure enough the part failed! It is well documented. The cat conv. is also a weak point, the window shades damage easily and are quite expensive to repair. The rear one alone could set you back at least $1,000.00....that's only a shade!! Bushings are another weak point on the e38...the list goes on and on!

But when one knows the weak points and what to look out for, you can be ready (and willing) to get it fixed prior to or expect the cost when it happens.

Serious engine work? How about the tendency for bolts to come loose on the oil pump and get thrown up in the engine? That's quite serious and a point to know about these e38's.

Last edited by BavarianWheels : 06-25-2004 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Oil pump...not pan...
Old 06-25-2004, 06:51 AM   #29
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Well my dads `98(I think) 745iL is on about 80K. He has not yet had one problem with the car, nor has the first owner. Simple tune-ups. Oil change, tranny fluid, etc... I mean yeah his passenger rear door broke, and it costed arround $200 to get it fixed. Other than that, no serious engine problems, all of his other BMWs have never costed more than $1000 to fix(simple things that are just generally expensive on BMWs). Ok maybe 160K was exagerated but definetly 120K.

Old 06-29-2004, 09:57 PM   #30
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Further backing that Lexus treats the customer better than BMW...(to my BMW enthusiasts shame)

Lexus...10th consecutive year...