Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2004, 09:58 PM   #1
ItsMe
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 17
1991 Camaro has issues

Hello everyone...first time posting here except for the Introduce Yourself Page...Anyway...I got a Problem with my 1991 Chevy Camaro RS 3.1L automatic... Heres a little history...Bought the car in June 2002. Only problem at the time was the horn didn't work. Got that fixed (ended up having to replace the pressure plate and some stuff in the steering wheel). Didn't have any problems out of the car until September 2003 when it started leaking oil...put it in the shop to get that fixed...while in the shop it had the intake manifold gasket replaced, rear main seal, front main seal, a transmission seal replaced, the timing chain replaced, and the Oil Sending Unit Replaced. Car ran perfect!! In February 2004 the Check Engine Light Came on..Put it in the shop...Turned out to be the O2 sensor. Had that replaced along with the Serpentine Belt and the Fuel Injectors cleaned. Car ran Great!...Now here is the current problem...this may be a little long...Sorry..

On the 10th of June it rained really hard here in my neck of the woods in Virginia and my street flooded (and of course stupid me parked my car on the street and didn't move it when the street started to flood...duh). The next day on the 11th went to take my son to school that morning and it wouldn't start...it would crank but not catch...waited til later that day and retried starting it...same thing...crank but no catch...so I had it towed to the shop (needed it fixed fast as it is my only means of transportation).

They call me later that day and tell me that my distributor is bad.. I said okay fix it.. So they put the distributor in, a new distributor cap and rotor, new plugs and wires, and cleaned the fuel injectors (no charge for the fi cleaning). Car started now but was running really rough and had no pick up or power to her. So the shop set to resetting the timing which was 2 teeth off. Still no change in how the car was running. Now the techs are stumped..so they call in the Master Tech.... He says it's the EGR Valve and some sensors (replaced at no charge since they have now had my car for a whole week and a half)..Still no difference... So they take the exhaust off the car and blow out the tail pipes and everything, even have the Catalytic Converter tested (which tested good)..Still no difference...They check the Transmission fluid for water (the water did get really high the night it rained) but alas that wasn't the problem...THey replace the O2 sensor (no charge since it was still under warranty)..no difference...Now they bring in two other people one to check the tranny and the other to check the electrical system...both check out fine...So then they put a new computer in the car in the happen chance that it got wet..no difference..put old computer back in...A friend of mine who has worked on it in the past goes up there today and takes a look at it...goes to test drive it...he won't even take it out of their parking lot due to the lack of power and pick up..lol...tried to warn him...Anyways...today they are putting some dry gas in the tank and a octane booster plus of course a tank of gas cause by now they have gone through the half a tank of gas that was in it (In the four or five test drives the car has been on)..and are supposed to let me know if that takes care of the problem...If it doesn't the mech. mentioned something about a Knock Sensor, but he hasn't been able to find it (and it's not listed in the Haynes Manual I own)...So my question is " Where is the Knock Sensor usually located?" Now I called Advance Auto and they have a listing for it but can't replace it until it's found...Any ideas about how to find this Knock Sensor?
BTW I am not a whole lot mechanically inclined here so I am not even sure what this Knock Sensor does...Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks In Advance and sorry this is soo long but I wanted to let you all know what all had been done to it in hopes of maybe finding the cause of the problem....ItsMe...aka Stephanie
ItsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 02:27 AM   #2
DodgeRida67
Banned
 
DodgeRida67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jackson, Georgia
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMe
Hello everyone...first time posting here except for the Introduce Yourself Page...Anyway...I got a Problem with my 1991 Chevy Camaro RS 3.1L automatic... Heres a little history...Bought the car in June 2002. Only problem at the time was the horn didn't work. Got that fixed (ended up having to replace the pressure plate and some stuff in the steering wheel). Didn't have any problems out of the car until September 2003 when it started leaking oil...put it in the shop to get that fixed...while in the shop it had the intake manifold gasket replaced, rear main seal, front main seal, a transmission seal replaced, the timing chain replaced, and the Oil Sending Unit Replaced. Car ran perfect!! In February 2004 the Check Engine Light Came on..Put it in the shop...Turned out to be the O2 sensor. Had that replaced along with the Serpentine Belt and the Fuel Injectors cleaned. Car ran Great!...Now here is the current problem...this may be a little long...Sorry..

On the 10th of June it rained really hard here in my neck of the woods in Virginia and my street flooded (and of course stupid me parked my car on the street and didn't move it when the street started to flood...duh). The next day on the 11th went to take my son to school that morning and it wouldn't start...it would crank but not catch...waited til later that day and retried starting it...same thing...crank but no catch...so I had it towed to the shop (needed it fixed fast as it is my only means of transportation).

They call me later that day and tell me that my distributor is bad.. I said okay fix it.. So they put the distributor in, a new distributor cap and rotor, new plugs and wires, and cleaned the fuel injectors (no charge for the fi cleaning). Car started now but was running really rough and had no pick up or power to her. So the shop set to resetting the timing which was 2 teeth off. Still no change in how the car was running. Now the techs are stumped..so they call in the Master Tech.... He says it's the EGR Valve and some sensors (replaced at no charge since they have now had my car for a whole week and a half)..Still no difference... So they take the exhaust off the car and blow out the tail pipes and everything, even have the Catalytic Converter tested (which tested good)..Still no difference...They check the Transmission fluid for water (the water did get really high the night it rained) but alas that wasn't the problem...THey replace the O2 sensor (no charge since it was still under warranty)..no difference...Now they bring in two other people one to check the tranny and the other to check the electrical system...both check out fine...So then they put a new computer in the car in the happen chance that it got wet..no difference..put old computer back in...A friend of mine who has worked on it in the past goes up there today and takes a look at it...goes to test drive it...he won't even take it out of their parking lot due to the lack of power and pick up..lol...tried to warn him...Anyways...today they are putting some dry gas in the tank and a octane booster plus of course a tank of gas cause by now they have gone through the half a tank of gas that was in it (In the four or five test drives the car has been on)..and are supposed to let me know if that takes care of the problem...If it doesn't the mech. mentioned something about a Knock Sensor, but he hasn't been able to find it (and it's not listed in the Haynes Manual I own)...So my question is " Where is the Knock Sensor usually located?" Now I called Advance Auto and they have a listing for it but can't replace it until it's found...Any ideas about how to find this Knock Sensor?
BTW I am not a whole lot mechanically inclined here so I am not even sure what this Knock Sensor does...Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks In Advance and sorry this is soo long but I wanted to let you all know what all had been done to it in hopes of maybe finding the cause of the problem....ItsMe...aka Stephanie

First things first. Next time, take it to people who knows what they are doing.(can be hard to find, i know)

Second of all, I can't tell you the answer to your question. Although I do have a suggestion to what your problem might be, even though I don't think you asked for one.

Check the spark plug gaps. Very well could be your problem. And if they had the timing "two teeth off" they obviously don't know how to time it correctly so check that if you know how when you get it back.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 05:24 AM   #3
colinlesser
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 9
knock sensor

a knock sensor usually detects hard jolts inside the engine . it is usually difficult to find sometimes in motor or outside on engine housing, go find the replacement part look at it (IMEAN REALLY LOOK AT IT) remember what it looks like and searche the outter parts of your engine for it it should look pretty much the same. if you dont see it its internal and thats where my skills end sorry
colinlesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 05:23 PM   #4
ItsMe
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 17
Unhappy Turned out to be a fuse...

Yep...turned out to be a fuse that supplied power to the left side of the engine...haha...now just got to get the car to stay running in Drive ...I was so thrilled when I got her back..then sitting at a light in drive she stalled...go figure...so back to the shop we go ...Hopefully they will get their heads out of their you know where and figure out what's causing her to stall when she is in gear...had the tranny checked (road test, scan test etc) and it checked fine..so my guess is since she is idling erratically that it is a fuel problem...maybe a sensor or something...Let you all know...thanks for the advice...ItsMe
ItsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 03:24 AM   #5
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMe
Yep...turned out to be a fuse that supplied power to the left side of the engine...haha...now just got to get the car to stay running in Drive ...I was so thrilled when I got her back..then sitting at a light in drive she stalled...go figure...so back to the shop we go ...Hopefully they will get their heads out of their you know where and figure out what's causing her to stall when she is in gear...had the tranny checked (road test, scan test etc) and it checked fine..so my guess is since she is idling erratically that it is a fuel problem...maybe a sensor or something...Let you all know...thanks for the advice...ItsMe


Stephanie, first of all I think you are on the right track with your problem and getting it resolved.....

Secondly, I would just like to let you know that people like me LOVE people like you that come in here and give us the WHOLE deal of what is happening with the car and the history rather than most ignorant idiots that just basically enunciate that they ca' ain't workin' what be wrong? I GLADLY read your ENTIRE write up and I just wanted to give ya a HIGH FIVE. And don't take this the wrong way AT ALL, but you are female and I am even MORE impressed that you had the gumption and brains to write all that!! You'd make half the MALES that know not 1/16th of what you know about cars through this experience look like school age girls with that KICK assed posting. YOU GO!!! :-))))
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 03:25 AM   #6
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
Oh I forgot to ask........You said the road flooded in your neck of the woods in Virginia. Where in VA. are you? I live in Richmond Va. in Henrico county. I am just curious!! :-)
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 02:43 AM   #7
ItsMe
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 17
Smile The road flooded...

right outside my house...lol...I live in Norfolk Va. I did replace the fuel filter but she's still stalling ...So I think I am dealing with a plugged fuel line (maybe) and I am just hoping that it isn't the fuel pump (as that would be a pain in the butt to change-- dropping the exhaust and the gas tank does not sound like fun..lol)...However I am going to regap the spark plugs check the wires and replace the pcv valve...It will eventually run right...just got to trace the problem down...but I do really think it is a partially plugged fuel line..so I am gonna see if I can get to that tomorrow and check it out...Have a happy fourth of July!! Stephanie
ItsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 03:32 AM   #8
Inygknok
El del Supra
 
Inygknok's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,863
we need more die-hard chicks :P

in fact, i need one of those for a girlfriend. all my other ones just complain that i love the car more than them (if they stopped b****ing, i wouldnt love the car more).

anyhow, its odd how even an electrical "expert" was brought in and he didnt even notice it was such a simple problem...... even worse when the whole problem was just a simple fuse

i would force them to give me free service for a whole year for that screw up
__________________


Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 06:20 PM   #9
sleepyaligator
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1
Wow! Does this story sound familiar! My 91 Camaro RS is doing the same thing. Been to 3 shops and there is a lot of head scratching going on. My problem is a little more intermittant. Its OK in the morning and then acts up when its hot in the afternoon. The shop replaced the "M.A.P. sensor and it seemed to run fine for a few days, then started back again with the idles but no power symptoms.
PLEASE let me know what you find out and I will do same.
sleepyaligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 12:20 PM   #10
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Somewhere in the Southeastern U.S.
Posts: 1,067
Two teeth off - sounds like the new distributor may not have been installed correctly to begin with.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 07:03 PM   #11
ItsMe
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 17
Thumbs down And the problems Continue.....

Well...Lets just say....the car still has issues...Took it to the place that set the timing on it...cause it's stillll stalling... So they recheck the timing...and Surprise: It was advanced... ...so they reset it yesterday...and today...well damn car is doing the same thing again....Me thinks that they may not have installed the distributor correctly or that it is a bad distributor...Everything I have read in the Haynes Manual says it all goes to the Electronic Spark Timing or the ECM or the Knock Sensor but all in all it relates back to the Distributor....hmmmm...Got to take the car back up there today at 4:00..I think I am going to make mention (and bring the book) that they should make sure to check the distributor out...I know they will LOVE that...but since my last posts have put more new parts on it....Lets see...new fuel filter, new vaccum lines, new ignition coil, new tps, new Idle Air Control Valve...hell at this rate everything under the hood is gonna be new besides the engine...although at this rate by the time we figure out what it is exactly I may need a new one of those too...Oh and I put a new set of Spark Plugs and wires on too...so lets see that's two sets of wires and plugs in two weeks, a whole slew of new parts (although must admit that the more interesting one was the Ignition Coil as it was the Original Equipment---it was still riveted onto the car...) and a whole month since she originally broke down...this sucks!! ...although I must admit that my dad has a point...at this rate I'll have a couple thousand dollars worth of work and parts done to her and she is only worth almost 3000...I'll have a 7000 dollar car but not be able to get that much for her...but that is the way with all the used cars anyway...(sorry a little irritated today...tiny vent).... Oh well off to the shop she will go...now just got to figure out why the "brat" isn't holding time....Oh yeah the electrical shop said she was losing spark....hmmm....Maybe it is the Electronic Spark Timing system...Or the Electronic Spark Control System...Well when I find out what's wrong with her I will be sure to let you all know...Must admit that this has been a learning experience...Maybe I should have just taken it back to the guy who had my car a whole month only to work on it for 4 days....at least I didn't have any problems with it until the 02 sensor went bad in it almost six months after he did the work....but I was trying to be slick and have my car back up and running in less than that...and instead she's been down longer this time than she was that time....Go Figure! Here's Hoping you all are having better luck with your cars than I am with mine...ItsMe...aka Steph
ItsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 04:40 AM   #12
ItsMe
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 17
and the saga continues....

Well yesterday took car back to shop...had new computer put in...Car ran great for less than 24 hours...lol..Check Engine light came on and stayed on for about 30 minutes today...took it to the mechanic's again...by the time I got there the light had turned off...what was weird was the car was running like crap...no power...brake assist was out and my spedometer wasn't working until the light turned off,...then car started running fine...Maybe a short...but where??? Tomorrow it goes and gets another O2 Sensor as the one that is on it is giving out a funky reading..and then I guess it will have to go to the Electric Shop...Not even sure what's shorting out but just know it sucks...
ItsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 02:53 AM   #13
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Somewhere in the Southeastern U.S.
Posts: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMe
Well yesterday took car back to shop...had new computer put in...Car ran great for less than 24 hours...lol..Check Engine light came on and stayed on for about 30 minutes today...took it to the mechanic's again...by the time I got there the light had turned off...what was weird was the car was running like crap...no power...brake assist was out and my spedometer wasn't working until the light turned off,...then car started running fine...Maybe a short...but where??? Tomorrow it goes and gets another O2 Sensor as the one that is on it is giving out a funky reading..and then I guess it will have to go to the Electric Shop...Not even sure what's shorting out but just know it sucks...

Stephanie

I wander if these yo-yo have checked the grounds from the ECM to the chassis and checked the power supply to the ECM to determine if it is actually getting 12 V?
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 08:57 PM   #14
ItsMe
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 17
That is a...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
Stephanie

I wander if these yo-yo have checked the grounds from the ECM to the chassis and checked the power supply to the ECM to determine if it is actually getting 12 V?


Really Good Question!!! I did take it back to Tidewater Auto Electric (actually had it towed..didn't feel like breaking it again..lol) Tuesday night and they got the keys first thing Weds. Morning...Haven't heard anything yet...but when I know something...I'll be sure to let you know...Steph.

PS...thanks for the suggestion...

Oh yeah btw the computer that got put in on Saturday "died"...On Tuesday Service Engine Soon Light came on (like it did on Sunday and Monday) but did not go off...Hooked it up to scanner and the computer wouldn't communicate with the scanner...but that's okay I guess since there weren't any codes in it on Sunday or Monday...but I hope to hear something soon from the Electric Shop...me is thinking of a short too...in the dash or by the Firewall...

Last edited by ItsMe : 07-29-2004 at 09:01 PM.
ItsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 01:32 AM   #15
Denasboy
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1
Lightbulb

I am writing First of all to let you know that you are not the only one with this problem. My wife has a '91 RS camaro with the exact same symptoms. She has had it since '91 and in the past two years it has started gradually getting worse and worse. We have tried many of the same things that you did and have not yet had luck. I did recently find a post on a web site again someone listing the same problems and they were given a possible cause of "Lock-up convertor". With the symptoms described for the converter I thought quite possible. I tonight did the test and saw imrovement. The test is to disconect the speedometer sensor on the tail end of the transmission. My wife will drive it tomorrow to see if it is indeed better then We will check into a fix.

here is the site with the advice arrow down to get to the '91 camaro....

http://www.2carpros.com/topics/stalls.htm

Jason
Denasboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.