Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2005, 12:52 AM   #1
Legion5
CF Enthusiast

Car with best chassis under 35k?

Ok, me and my friend were having an argument over the car with the best handling characteristics, (lateral G, body roll, no under steer etc), for a street legal car under 35k, He says Mustang GT, I'm thinking something more like a CL500, as I've seen those things drive, and they are crazy. (You can get an 00 for 33k)

We Kinda realized it's not practical to have crazy top speed, as you'll never go that fast in a car on American roads anyway, it's just what feels good in the turns.

So here are the rules:

Used up to the year 2000 .

Best handling, not a rally car, not a corvette, not a Miata, under 35k, at least made in the year 2000.

Depreciating 10% a year. (so a 60,000$ car in 2000 would be 30,000$ now).

Last edited by Legion5 : 12-07-2005 at 01:16 AM.
Legion5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:03 AM   #2
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Okay, this is retarded, is this under $35k new? Because obviously a CL500 is way over that in price. If it's used, then the possibilities are endless, heck they are even endless if new and this will end up in a huge argument because no one will agree with anyone.

Answer: There is none.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:12 AM   #3
Legion5
CF Enthusiast

Ha Ha you're right, I should make rules. Edit: done

Debate away.

Last edited by Legion5 : 12-07-2005 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:51 AM   #4
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5
Ok, me and my friend were having an argument over the car with the best handling characteristics, (lateral G, body roll, no under steer etc), for a street legal car under 35k, He says Mustang GT, I'm thinking something more like a CL500, as I've seen those things drive, and they are crazy. (You can get an 00 for 33k)

We Kinda realized it's not practical to have crazy top speed, as you'll never go that fast in a car on American roads anyway, it's just what feels good in the turns.

So here are the rules:

Best handling, not a rally car, not a corvette, not a Miata, under 35k, at least made in the year 2000.

IMO Best handling is best determined by the driver and how he/she intends to use the car, not just numbers. What feels good to one person may feel like crap to another, one driver will be more comfortable in one car than in another.

Once you have taken that into account, you have to consider how each car approaches the handling aspect of driving. There is an endless number of cars lauded for their handling, S2000, NSX, almost any Porsche car, some of the older BMWs, RX7 & RX8, miata, Elise, MR2/MR-S, AE86 Corolla, Silvia, Skyline GT-R, Z06, Viper, and many many more.

Each car was designed to do it differently. Some with understeer, some with oversteer, some with neutral.

Last edited by importluva : 12-07-2005 at 02:53 AM.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 06:00 AM   #5
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:

Debate away.

OKay, you didn't understand what I meant, you still cannot pickout this one wonder car, everyone will have different opinions.

~Blow your mind~

Old 12-07-2005, 04:19 PM   #6
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

A good driver in a crappy car will outhandle an average driver in a good car.

And for a fun car, what they do stock is of very little importance, as you can easily and inexpensively change springs, swaybars, tires, etc and get a car that WAS a crappy handling car to outhandle pretty much any stock vehicle. And it all depend on what you want out of the rest of the car. Does it still have to be relatively practical? Does it need 4 seats?

I got bitched at because I wouldn't put a "best of" in any category on another thread, but this is why. There is no "best of." It's all relative.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:25 PM   #7
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

My bicycle has a pretty well handling chassis. With a suspension that stiff, it has very nice road feel too.

Unfortunately, torque and high end power are somewhat lacking. Passing anything, especially uphill, takes much forethought and hope.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:50 AM   #8
mattireland
CF Newbie

i am going to throw the lotus elise into the equation if you dont mind, highly regarded here in europe. how is it rated over that side of the water?

i would throw in the noble m12 gto, which is generally regarded (here anyway) as the best handling car in the world - amazing achievement considering the size of the company, but then again they still cost 30k plus so i shall add to this thread again in 3 to 5 years

anyone interested the site is http://www.noblecars.com/home.htm

quite shocked to see they do have a single dealer in hamilton, ohio
mattireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:05 AM   #9
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattireland
i am going to throw the lotus elise into the equation if you dont mind, highly regarded here in europe. how is it rated over that side of the water?

i would throw in the noble m12 gto, which is generally regarded (here anyway) as the best handling car in the world - amazing achievement considering the size of the company, but then again they still cost 30k plus so i shall add to this thread again in 3 to 5 years

anyone interested the site is http://www.noblecars.com/home.htm

quite shocked to see they do have a single dealer in hamilton, ohio

They do handle well, but damn the rear end is plain ugly. Worse then Subaru's new tribeca face.

--2004 Acura TL Dynamic--
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:13 AM   #10
mattireland
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerith
They do handle well, but damn the rear end is plain ugly. Worse then Subaru's new tribeca face.

thats ok because thats all anyone you pass out is every going to see!!!

Last edited by mattireland : 12-08-2005 at 01:16 AM.
mattireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:56 AM   #11
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

Quote:

Okay, your friend doesn't know what he's talking about then...a stock Mustang GT(no cobra's or R models) has significant understeer...you're lucky for a 40,000mile front tire to last more than 25,000 miles. Assuming it's stock.

Quote:
So here are the rules:

Okay, the rules seem easy enough...plain and clear, but yet slim here has a reading and comprehension problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
Okay, this is retarded, is this under $35k new? Because obviously a CL500 is way over that in price.

Yes, you are retarded...wow, and you're in college? That's scary...you have the reading and comprehension skills of a toddler...if even that well developed.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 05:08 AM   #12
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

...He originally didn't have the rules, he edited his post.

Quote:

Debate away.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:30 AM   #13
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerith
That's because the rear lights are from a mk1 Ford Mondeo

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:02 AM   #14
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick88Tbird
Yes, you are retarded...wow, and you're in college? That's scary...you have the reading and comprehension skills of a toddler...if even that well developed.

What the hell was that for? WHEN I POSTED he didnt have the "rules" section listed, it was edited in after I posted. Thin kabout it here, people aren't THAT stupid, especially myself. You should know better. THINK>TYPE>SUBMIT. The college jokes are getting old guys, I don't need someone telling me how I am performing in college when I'm comfortably on a 4.0 right now, and part of the Honors College. The last time someone attacked me about college, I asked them what great college they went to, and they didnt even address it, soo....

Again this entire thread is pointless, as no one will agree to one all-perfect chassis. No one knows.

~Blow your mind~

Last edited by thunderbird1100 : 12-08-2005 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:06 PM   #15
Legion5
CF Enthusiast

Ha Ha actualy the debate, came around After I discovered the Nobel M12, and saw how it comprared to all other cars. You can get them here in the states, for 76k, (and they don't depretiate), but unfortunatly that's out of the price range of MOST people. So we were trying to figure out a Normal Man's Nobel M12.

He says Mustang GT, but I've driven those and feel they are extremly stiff, and have mad understeer. Solid rear axel after all.

The idea is essentialy what does best in the turns, for what the rest of us can afford.

I've heard good things about the RX8.