Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2004, 02:28 PM   #1
Voda48
CF Lance Fan

Lance Armstrong

So I will admit, I am a big Lance fan. Have been for many years. Love the guy and can't think of a better role model for athletes othe than the best endurance athlete of our time, Lance Armstrong. (by the way the is not subjective, it is factual. There is no debating that one.)

Was planning on going to Europe for the first time in my life this summer. Was also planning on spending 3 weeks traveling w/ the tour. Unfortunately the Euro is kicking the dollar's ass so I can't afford to go this year, too expensive.

As for the new book by some lame ass French author, L.A. Confidential: The Secrets of Lance Armstrong , is a shame. The man is drug tested more than any other person in the world (also fact). I mean even the authors say the evidence is circumstantial. I just think the French can't deal with his success but I could fill a whole thread about that.

Anyways just checking to see if anyone was a Lance fan around here as well.

~ Gregg
Old 06-28-2004, 04:14 PM   #2
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

I'm not a Lance fan but enjoy watching the races when I find them on.

My sister and brother-in-law moved to Germany 2 years ago. My brother-in-law is a huge cycling fan! He's been on cloud 9 the past couple of years following the tour around meeting and chatting with some of the riders. He sends us a monthly "What's new..." report and I hear about all this cycling stuff. I don't understand most of it, but it's cool hearing the enthusiasm in the writing.

Anyway...yup, the dollar is taking a dump in Europe.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 08:59 PM   #3
Lukaz
CF-Mitsucolt

I dont know much about lance dont really hear about him. in england people are far more into moutain bikes and people like steve peat etc...

Lance armstrong the american champ

Mitsubishi Mirage 1.6i 16V GLX - My New lil runner this year
Lukaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 04:21 AM   #4
importluva
Obsessed with imports

he truly is amazing for all the feats that he has accomplished and everything he had to overcome to get this far.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 04:51 AM   #5
Voda48
CF Lance Fan

One Million People crowded into a 15.5km stage which consists 21 hairpin turns and 1110m in elevation.... this is L’Alpe d’Huez. Today I now know that the god of the bicycle is none other than a man who has survived testicular cancer and gone on to win the tour 5 times in row. He is now on his way to setting a record 6th tour victory. Today I have seen one of the most impressive races of my life and when you think that this very same man was given less than a 50% chance to survive cancer it only makes one's mind wonder where such men come from. Surely there can not be another.......GO LANCE
Old 07-22-2004, 08:18 AM   #6
Inygknok
El del Supra

im not a big fan of Lance as i dont follow up on these cycling events like this, but still, even the simplest of fools can recognize a person with true valor. i think i have every right to respectfully, and rightfully, say that Mr Armstrong is a hero to many.

its quite inspiring to see a person that has gone through so much, and is still go through alot and still doesnt give up. even if it costs him his life, he still keeps cycling with everything he has. Hell, hes out there competeing against a bunch of healthy bastards and he still wins. thats one huge feat in itself. its like watching Magic Johnson playing basketball even with AIDS, and then the 2 times (i think) that he played with the dream team at a point where his condition had gotten serious. even though Magic Johnson had quit, and his case was differently (to be honest, he did get wat was coming to him), he still did give it his efforts. any other player would have just given up.

Dale Eanhardt, even though he was reaching his old age and had problems, he kept racing. true that he did reach his last few breaths while in a race, but damn, first place in the very last turn. it showed just how great of a driver he was, and its nice that his son didnt quite after that.

its people like these that should be looked up to by everyone. even in their worst of times, they will keep fighting and give it all they have, sometimes even go above their own limits. while we just lie in bed whenever we get a cold or our head hurts a bit, these guys went out there to do wat they loved. sure, i know that many people say, "oh, my grandmother can drive a car in circles all day long", but its just really ignorant people that dont fully understand the whole point of it, nor how damn hard it is to sit in that car driving 160+ mph for 300-600 laps, nor cycling for a really nice long way while your own life is at risk. im sure i could get a top of the line bike and get Mr Armstrong to give me a 5 minute head start, and he would still beat me without even trying even though im quite healthy (besides my stupid sugar problem).

indeed, these guys do deserve to be called outstanding human beings, though i dont think Magic Johnson aint as great, but u get the point of his case. but the rest, those are just people that will never trully be forgotten.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 08:42 AM   #7
karburator
CF Spain HQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voda48
One Million People crowded into a 15.5km stage which consists 21 hairpin turns and 1110m in elevation.... this is L’Alpe d’Huez. Today I now know that the god of the bicycle is none other than a man who has survived testicular cancer and gone on to win the tour 5 times in row. He is now on his way to setting a record 6th tour victory. Today I have seen one of the most impressive races of my life and when you think that this very same man was given less than a 50% chance to survive cancer it only makes one's mind wonder where such men come from. Surely there can not be another.......GO LANCE

Amén...

It cannot be so difficult. The instruction manual will tell me which pedal is the 'velocitator' and which one is the... 'deceleratrix' (by Mr. C.M. Burns)
May God bless those who have nothing to say and, furthermore, they keep quiet (by someone)
karburator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 12:22 PM   #8
heebee
CF Enthusiast

I'm absolutely gobsmacked by his achievements: truly awe-inspiring.

However, I got into an interesting conversation the other day: is his achievement more impressive than Steve Redgrave's 5 consecutive gold medals for rowing in the Olympics? I would say that the Tour de France is a tougher event, but there's a four-year gap between olympics! That means Steve Redgrave has been at the top of his game for 16 years! That's pretty impressive, particularly as his training is hampered by the fact he's diabetic.

They're both inspirational, though.
heebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 01:10 PM   #9
SuperJew
I like pie.

<-----agrees wholeheartedly with what Inygknok said

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 01:43 PM   #10
vniles100
CF Newbie

"its people like these that should be looked up to by everyone. even in their worst of times, they will keep fighting and give it all they have, sometimes even go above their own limits. while we just lie in bed whenever we get a cold or our head hurts a bit, these guys went out there to do wat they loved. sure, i know that many people say, "oh, my grandmother can drive a car in circles all day long", but its just really ignorant people that dont fully understand the whole point of it, nor how damn hard it is to sit in that car driving 160+ mph for 300-600 laps, nor cycling for a really nice long way while your own life is at risk. im sure i could get a top of the line bike and get Mr Armstrong to give me a 5 minute head start, and he would still beat me without even trying even though im quite healthy (besides my stupid sugar problem)."

I feel the same way. I get a little pain and I think I am dying and these people who have been diagnosed with serious problems continue to strive. It is people like Lance, Dale and my grandmother who remind me that life is worth living. While you are alive...Live...Be Happy...And Keep Moving. Don't stop living life because you have been dealt a bad hand. I am not much of a cycling fan but since I heard about Lance a few years ago, I follow his achievements so I can remember that my pain is just that a pain. It should not stop me. My Hats off to Lance and the many other people like him who are true role-models.
vniles100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 05:13 PM   #11
Voda48
CF Lance Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by karburator
Amén...
Hey Karb,

Long time no see. Have you gotten a chance to see any of the tour?? Any of the Pyrennes stages??? You bummed that Mayo pulled out??? Those Basck (sp?) fans are insane
Old 07-23-2004, 05:32 AM   #12
Unlicensed
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by heebee
I'm absolutely gobsmacked by his achievements: truly awe-inspiring.

However, I got into an interesting conversation the other day: is his achievement more impressive than Steve Redgrave's 5 consecutive gold medals for rowing in the Olympics? I would say that the Tour de France is a tougher event, but there's a four-year gap between olympics! That means Steve Redgrave has been at the top of his game for 16 years! That's pretty impressive, particularly as his training is hampered by the fact he's diabetic.

They're both inspirational, though.

That was what I was thinking from reading the first post. regardless of who actually is the "greatest" they are both amazing athletes in their own right!
And both have to be a little bit

I would need to be more informed on both steve and lance, but iether way I wouldn't like to pick!

I think both of them are possitive arguements for genetic engineering, cos I want that gene that makes them both soo damn amazing!

This is for you guys
Unlicensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 08:26 AM   #13
Eclipse_2004
CF Enthusiast

Ive watched Lance on tv ocasionally and i saw some special on ESPN last night. They said that before he was racing on the US Postal Service team, He raced for the Motorola team, and they basically said that he used stereroid and convinced his other teammates to use them as well.
But after several drug tests he never tested positive for the drug.
Then he joined US Postal and next thing i know he has cancer and only has one...well you know what
Old 07-23-2004, 10:19 AM   #14
What
Banned

Lance Armstrong = Doping

I applaud Lance Armstrong for taking full advantage of the chemicals available on this Earth. If I was Lance, I'd do it to. Why not? Most of the bikers are probably taking drugs too. But Lance is fully taking advantage of the drugs. Does anyone know what drugs he's taking? I want some of those. I want the ability to ride a bike for hours...
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 01:52 PM   #15
Voda48
CF Lance Fan

What,

You are so childish. You actualy try to step on toes to look for a fight, I wish you would grow up. I won't give you that satifaction today however because I disregard your comment as pure bullshit coming from some kid looking to engage in a fight. Lance Armstrong has been the most drug tested person in the world for the last 4 years, that is fact. While David Miller has recently admited to doping, there is no reason to think that anyone else in cycling would. Your childish demeanor combined with your ignorance creates quite a lethal combination of stupidity. If you were to leave this forum I can honestly say that my mind would never wonder where you went. Get a clue

Eclipse_2004,

your comment:
Quote:
He raced for the Motorola team, and they basically said that he used stereroid and convinced his other teammates to use them as well.

Well ya. The French have been accusing him for years of dopping. Duh!!! They are jealous. He is an American that is dominating a european sport, they are throw out every excuse that they have namly beacuse he is so good and also because they are French. Please don't be as ignorant as "What", just understand that when you are at the top there are going to be people that try to bring you down.