Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 10:18 PM   #1
jcutsh
CF Enthusiast

The Miata and other things. (big ugly post)

Several times I have seen posts, where the little Miata is put down as a girly car. I started this post with a little bit of a mad on. People making fun of my favorite car. The more I wrote the more I realized I did the same things when I was young and then I started laughing. Please accept my humble words with the love I have intended.

Now for some mind changing. The Miata is a car that comes out of the box ready to take to the track and have fun.

The engine, no the entire car, is designed to shift at 7200 rpm every single shift, all day long. No other car can take that kind of abuse. I know, because, I have destroyed: 2 Corvettes, 1 Viper, 2 BMWís, a couple of Porscheís several Mopars, GMís, and Fordís and a Jag or two. I have a very aggressive driving style and I live in a rural area with few houses and very little traffic. Most of our houses are 1/4 to Ĺ mile from the road (horse and cattle country). Most of the cars I have abused, lasted about 35k and then I start having major problems and so I get rid of them.

The ignition system in the Miata cannot be improved on. There are no ignition systems on the market which will improve the stock system. Just by changing the stock timing from 10 degrees to 28 degrees produces a 12/15 Hp increase. More then enough to put down the S2k or MR2. All of the magazine comparisons use stock tuning on the vehicles during the tests. If the Miata timing is changed to 28 degrees, then there is no contest.

The lower block assembly will withstand 30 psi turbo boost plus a shot of N02 at the same time and still live for over 100,000 miles. Thatís about 550 Hp out of a 1.8L for those with inquiring minds. Youíll need a six speed to handle that kind of power.

This little engine will not self destruct if the timing belt blows. It comes with a redline limiter set at 7200 which shuts of the fuel. Maita engineers say. ďBump that thing all you wantĒ

There is nothing on the market which will improve the engine breathing except a CAI and a turbo muffler. These two changes produce about 15 Hp. The headers which are available only produce a few Hp. Yea, there are cams and pistons and big valve kits, but none of them have shown more than a 4-5 Hp gain over stock. Thatís a lot of money for very little Hp gain.

The brakes were increased in size in 1991 and again in 1999. I have never had a problem with the brakes overheating or fading or failing to stop, ever. With the Miata, I have been on the track several times for hours at a time with no problem. I did change to steel reinforced hoses, it adds a better feel to the brakes. Brake fade was a constant headache on the Viper and I spent a lot of money trying to correct it. The Viper also loves to come out of a corner backwards, it should have a steering wheel in the trunk.

The stock Miata with the RS package will do .84 on the skid pad. Just add springs, adj shocks, and sway bars, and the car will do 1.04 on the pad. I am sure that could be improved on with fine tuning. I talking about out of the box install and a new aggressive alignment and go hit 1.04. I have taken 90 degree turns at 70 mph (70 going in and 80 coming out), and Iím a scared old man. A power slide in a car this light is a wonderful thing to feel and behold.

Turbo kits are available and the cost varies from $2500 to $5000. If youíre good, and know what your doing you can improve on those costs. My intercooler and blowoff valve, are Mitsubishi. My injectors are RX7. You can save a lot of money if you roam around a junkyard for a while. Try 18 psi on a Ford, Mopar or Chevy and still get 100k (gee, where is that rod and piston catalog?).

The little car weighs between 1800 - 2200 lbs. Thatís almost 1200 less then most cars out there.
The highest weight difference I have seen between the front wheels and the back wheels was 7 lbs. My car running 16/18 PSI has 340 Hp @ 1821 lbs (with me in it). Calc that Dog.

The shifter is the absolute best of any car on the road today. It is like stirring warm butter, It is only slightly gated and it just seems to know where you want it to go. There is no real side to side motion with this gearshift, except for reverse. I have never missed a shift with this shifter, and I have never had to hunt for a gear. I canít say that for the Viper and Corvette.

The little car from 1995 on comes with a limited-slip diff, which really hooks up with 10 inch wides on the back.

For those of you that want to look bad, Wings West has a sharp looking body kit for $750, that actually improves aerodynamics a small amount. I believe WeaponR has a Ninja style kit that looks AWESOME. I have the Wings stuff. The stock body has been wind tested at +200Mph, thatís 50 mph faster then the Cobra which hits a wall at 150 mph. The Cobra just doesnít want to go faster, no matter how big the engine, it grunts and strains for every mph after 150.

Show me another car like the Miata, where you can log on the net and talk to the head engineer who designed the car.

Now, Iíll be the first to admit that nothing sounds good like a big bore V8, running dual glass packs , and a set of solid roller tappets, trying to idle off that big cam. Thatís the sweetest sound in the world. Thatís why a company called Monster Miata, in California, puts 5.0L ford engines in Miatas.

I have had my Miata since 1996. I have driven the pi$$ out of it. At 38,000 miles, I added the turbo, because I got beat by a neighbor with his new Mustang GT. Since that time the little car has never been beaten, and no one will even try me anymore. Now that is no great brag or feat, since I live in the middle of Oklahoma, not really the speed capital of the world. Iím sure the west coast guys have some great cars that could blow my doors off, but I bet they have a lot more money in their cars than I do. So now I just go to the track on weekends, and have fun going in a circle. I still drive the heck out of it, I just donít race anymore on the street. Oh, I did get a ticket for 134 mph once, back in 2003. (Cost me $1700). Good thing, I was letting off the gas. The cop said he was going to go out and celebrate that night. He had the biggest s**t eating grin on his face I have ever seem.

In 1992, I sold my Cobra to an attorney friend of mine. He drives it maybe three or four times a year. After I installed my turbo, I let him get behind the wheel of my little Miata. He bought a brand new one 2 weeks later, and three weeks after that we supercharged it. He drives it to work every day. Now this guy is like me, we can buy any car we want. We both choose the girly Miata as our daily driver.

The little car has never leaked a drop of fluid on my floor, and the only maintenance I have performed is plugs, brake pads, and oil changes. A compression test at 70,000, showed the same readings that the car had when new, except for one cylinder which was 2 psi low (probably the Mobile 1).

The 1980 Triumph was just about the last two seat sports car sold here in the US (I have one). In 1989, Mazda brought out the Miata. It sold like hot cakes. I can assure you of the 700,000 that have been bought, not all of those were bought by women. It took almost six years for the other car companies to catch up and produce a two seat roadster. Now nearly every company makes one now, because of the success of the Miata.

Spec Miata racing has become the fastest growing motor sport here in the US, for the last two years. Last year alone, 24 tracks opened up season access to Miata racers. Miata SCCA racing is booming here. Most of the people I know, drive the Miata to the track and race and then drive the car home. It never enters their minds that the car may quit on them. I know two guys who pull small trailers with their Miatas, just to haul their track tires. In a six hour SCCA Enduro race at the Dallas International Speedway this year, Miata took the first five places. Corvette took 6th and 7th, and a Viper took 9th. There were no MRís or S2K's in the top twenty. You can read and compare all you want from the mags but, the track will always offer the best proof. Donít pay a lot of attention to these Vets and Vipers going around the track in those big races. Those cars have another $250k thrown in them to make them competitive. Quite a feat for a girly car.

There are people who sit and read about cars, and there are people who go out into the world and drive and enjoy cars. There are guys who can sit and quote Hp and handling charts and canít drive to the Seven Eleven without breaking a half dozen traffic laws. I am the kind of guy that will ride my motorcycle when itís sleeting, or put the top down and take a 300 mile trip during the winter, because I want to hear the exhaust. Hell, my bass boat has been clocked at 105 by a park ranger. He wanted to know where I was going, since the lake was only 5 miles long. ďChasing the biggest bass I have ever seen,Ē I said. Remember guys,Ē a boat, is a hole surrounded by water that you constantly throw money intoĒ.

Continue to part 2

Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumba$$ question will inevitably appear smarta$$ed"
Old 06-28-2004, 10:19 PM   #2
jcutsh
CF Enthusiast

Part 2
It always seems to be the readers, who have never driven a car at 160mph, or donít know how to drive a manual shift, or have never been on a track, or the young cubs who should have been eaten by their parents, who feel they can run down someone elseís car because it doesnít meet their approval. Every car I have ever driven has had good and bad things about them. Some of those cars, I really liked, until I drove them, and some that I hated were really fun to drive. I feel that if you havenít driven a particular car for a couple of hundred miles, then you got no right to put it down. I donít like Fords. But Ford has made some beautiful cars and they have produced some great engines. I just donít like the way they feel and handle. Not that they are not good cars but, to me handling and feel is what it is all about. Looks are the last thing I am concerned with. Reading every book in the world will not make you a better driver, only seat time will do that. Everything you drive will improve your skills in some way. Now isnít that what itís all about?

My life has allowed me to enjoy my hobby more than most. I hope that you too will be able to enjoy the hobby as much as I have. But when you put down somebodyís car, Hell, you might as well go shoot one of their kids. You have just made an enemy. If youíre at a young age, that enemy, may the guy that was getting ready to offer you that 100K a year job you were looking for. Why do young people burn all their bridges behind them today?

So you want to drive that new BMW or that new JAG, no problem. When I was young and stupid, I used to borrow Dadís Caddie and put on my suit and go car testing. I would pull into a dealer, park the caddy in front of the store walk in, use the best English I knew . ďHello Sir, Iím going back to college this fall and father (never say dad) is going to buy me a new car before I go, because I did so well on my entrance exams to med school. I am interested in driving you new 7000 Hp XYZ. I hear they are the finest cars being built now. Would a young man like myself be able to handle one ok?Ē Dealer says, ď well young man, bla-bla-bla bla, sure why donít you test drive one now?Ē Get the idea? Study the car, so you can ask great questions, this impresses the salesman. Donít mention the Hp or the engine. Talk about the radio the leather seats, and brush off any mention about all that power your just dying to get under your foot. I drove over a hundred cars that way. Only once did a dealer want me to bring my dad in. Itís a great way to spend a Saturday. Some of those test drives lasted 2 to 3 hours. I use to practice English just to pull this off. Donít try this in blue jeans, and bring your dressed up girl friend so thereís no room for the salesman in those nice roadsters.

I have a 1956 VW that is one of the most fun cars to drive that I have ever driven. Itís slow, the shifter is all loose, the steering is really wacky, but it zips, it turns quick and is just fun to drive. I canít drive the car without laughing the whole time. Itís never had a paint job, and looks like I just drove it out of the junk yard, and boy is it ever ugly. But when I drive by people laugh and wave and shout, and thatís just fun.

For the rest of you guys, I have watched people take an old $10,000 muscle cars, and put $25,000 in mods and upgrades, and still have a $10,000 car when they try to sell it. Me, I can take a $6000 Miata put $6000 in it, and sell it all day, for $15,000 and have a car that will out perform 98% of the cars on the road, street or track. Sure go ahead and put out $20,000 to turn a 4000 lb sled into a 12 second car. But when you need parts, jump into your $12,000 dollar turbo powered Miata rocket and head for the parts store. Heck, in your Miata you can get there and back before you leave. Who is the smart guy now?

When the Ford Mustang first came out, all of us speed freaks said ď look at that little girly car.Ē Then Shelby came along and installed a small block V8, and we still laughed. Then came the Boss Mustang with the big -- big block. Well nobody has laughed since, and I have grown up (way up).

Most of the Miata statements, I have made above can be found in a book written by the Miata engineering team. The book is called ďThe Performance Miata.Ē Most good bookstores have it.
Everything else is my honest opinions, Go forth into the world and roll your own.

You want to learn what cars are all about? Do you want to drive a Formula 1 racer? Do you want to know what itís like to drive a NASCAR automobile around the track at 160 mph? Well you can. There are racing schools all over the country now where you can take a class and drive that awesome car your dreaming about. Just do a Google or Dogpile search on ďRacing schoolsĒ. The cost runs from $700 to $3500. It will change you mind about a lot of things. It will move you thought processes from those of the amateur to those of the professional.

At sixty-three, I still enjoy cruising on Saturday nights, and talking to the kids about cars and stuff, and checking out the rides. Here in Oklahoma, looks and stereos are more important then speed. When I was a kid, your manhood was determined by the horse power of your car, then came, the number of watts in your radio. Thank God, horse power is coming back.

I just ordered a new 320 Hp Crossfire. It will take a couple of weeks to get here. Handling was pretty good on the car, but the shocks were weak, theyíll have to go. The V8 really takes up a lot of room under the hood and the car is really heavy. When I install the blower, (absolutely no room for twin turbos) Iíll probably have to chop the hood. I canít wait to compare it to my Miata. Guess I just have this ďneed for speedĒ

Everyday, I go out climb into my Miata, cut about a dozen of those little baker circles (donuts) and then head down the driveway ready to face the world. Iím a little white haired old man, but donít ever pull up beside me and laugh, because my little Miata might burn your butt, and youíll feel really bad because you got beat by an old man in a ďgirly carĒ.

Life is good.
Zoom-Zoom

Let me know if you guys enjoyed this. If you do, I might write some more. And yea, I know itís a little chaotic here and there but thatís how my mind works.

If you want to reply to this post: Please use the big ĎPost Replyí at the top of the thread. Heck I know what I wrote.

Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumba$$ question will inevitably appear smarta$$ed"
Old 06-28-2004, 11:10 PM   #3
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

That is pretty awesome, John!!

Love the character in writing!

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
Old 06-28-2004, 11:57 PM   #4
WeaponR
CF Weapon Type R

just read the first few para's and it looks pretty good. finish it off when i get some time don't worry!

well done
Old 06-29-2004, 12:20 AM   #5
Lukaz
CF-Mitsucolt

took a while reading but a impressive an well written post

Zooom-zooom-zooom

Mitsubishi Mirage 1.6i 16V GLX - My New lil runner this year
Old 06-29-2004, 04:13 AM   #6
importluva
Obsessed with imports

An excellent write-up John, i thoroughly enjoyed it.

And while you are waiting for the crossfire, how about you get a digital camera and post pics of your car collection , unless i missed them.

Anyways, i thought you explained clearly why the miata is such a beast. Hats off to you
Old 06-29-2004, 04:26 AM   #7
Inygknok
El del Supra

gotta hand it to ya, u did a damn good job. i make fun of miatas, but i actually do admit their potentials when i get serious. i didnt know about the true extents of their power though, but i knew they were capable of something more than everyone showed. their light bodies also allow for more "up and go" power to be used in the "going" section rather than in the "getting up" section.

the problem i have with miatas is, im 6'4" tall, and the dad of a friend of mine had a Miata he sold just 3 weeks ago, and he let me drive it once, and even though it was a sweet ride, i was really uncomfortable. it was a tight fit..... so thats why i still dont really plan on even buying a miata as a project car any time soon, unless i find a way to make some space to stretch.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:30 PM   #8
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Excellent posts! This folowing excerpt is a point i've been making forever:

Quote:
It always seems to be the readers, who have never driven a car at 160mph, or donít know how to drive a manual shift, or have never been on a track, or the young cubs who should have been eaten by their parents, who feel they can run down someone elseís car because it doesnít meet their approval. Every car I have ever driven has had good and bad things about them. Some of those cars, I really liked, until I drove them, and some that I hated were really fun to drive. I feel that if you havenít driven a particular car for a couple of hundred miles, then you got no right to put it down.

As I've always said, having favorites is a good thing. Putting down everything that isn't your favorite in order to justify HAVING that favortie is not.

Quote:
I donít like Fords. But Ford has made some beautiful cars and they have produced some great engines. I just donít like the way they feel and handle. Not that they are not good cars but, to me handling and feel is what it is all about.

Then you haven't driven enough of them. After racing for a couple decades, setting up national championship winning autocrss cars and being an SCCA and BSCC driving instructor, I think I have a decent grasp on what handles. iv'e had traditional sports cars and GT cars, from MGs and Triumphs to Porsches. i've driven on the track national championship winning Porsches, Corvettes, Lotus', RX7s, and Miatas, as well as some very fast domestic GTs, and BMW sedans and coupes. After all that, the '99 SVT Contour I bought was one of the best feeling and handling stock vehicles I've ever had the pleasure of driving. After teh first drive, I was hooked. Nimble, responsive, and actually begged to be pushed hard through corners. The Contour Sport was almost as good, as was the Cougar with the sport suspension. The SVT Focus I drove on the track was just as good, but not as useful as a car for me. If handling and feel are what it's all about for you, you really should find a way of sampling one at an autocross or a twisty back road.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 07-03-2004, 07:03 AM   #9
jcutsh
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV

T After all that, the '99 SVT Contour I bought was one of the best feeling and handling stock vehicles I've ever had the pleasure of driving. After teh first drive, I was hooked. Nimble, responsive, and actually begged to be pushed hard through corners. The Contour Sport was almost as good, as was the Cougar with the sport suspension. The SVT Focus I drove on the track was just as good, but not as useful as a car for me. If handling and feel are what it's all about for you, you really should find a way of sampling one at an autocross or a twisty back road.

ChrisV
I really enjoy your posts, and there is a growing respect for you and your writing on this side of the keyboard. I'll look for an SVT and check them out. I have the opposite problem Inygknok has, I am 5'7" and my legs are so short my belt buckle drags the ground, along with other things. It seems like I can't drive a Ford without putting on my platform shoes from the disco days.

Inygknok
Sorry about the height thing. I know what it is like not to fit in where "normal" hang. Don't give up on the Miata though. There is a racing seat which adds 9" of leg room and the new 2005 is going to be bigger inside.

Lukaz
Thanks

WeaponR
I bought my first CAI from WeaponR. So I been there done that. I can't be all bad can I. Thanks

Mr. BavarianWheels
To pull a compliment out of you is more then any mere mortal should ever ask for. LOL Thanks

Thanks Fellows

Old 07-03-2004, 08:10 AM   #10
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcutsh
Inygknok
Sorry about the height thing. I know what it is like not to fit in where "normal" hang. Don't give up on the Miata though. There is a racing seat which adds 9" of leg room and the new 2005 is going to be bigger inside.

i should be allowed to test drive that seat package :P
i dont give up on the car, but i really cant say much until someone manages to fit me in there comfortably

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Old 07-03-2004, 08:42 AM   #11
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcutsh
Mr. BavarianWheels
To pull a compliment out of you is more then any mere mortal should ever ask for. LOL Thanks

I'm full of compliments...just not many opportunities present themselves...

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
Old 07-03-2004, 11:36 AM   #12
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Woah, thats was a very long impressively written article. When I say article, thats an understatment. You were about 4 more scentences short of a small book. I read it all and skimmed over some parts, but I think I got the just of it. Only thing I have to say is that when someone refers to a Miata as a "girly car", they are in no way implying that the car is weak or under par on performance. Simply that it has a cosmetic appeal of something a girl would drive. The name even sounds like its marketed towards women. "Miata". Even you have to agree with me here.

Thats a very inspiring story, I only wish I were 1 year older so I could legally participate in track events. That does'nt stop me from going to the dealership with my Father and driving the latest Z06 or Cobra .

You know the best thing about the Miata? It has to be the engine. No other engine I've ever seen looks better than the cylinder heads on the Miata. Its a beautiful car. Like I said, if I had one I would have to put chrome everywhere and paint it stealth black to mask its feminem side. The Miata reminds me of a VW Bettle. It may be good at the track but it just has that girly appeal to it. Let me stop with my banter good article

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
Old 07-04-2004, 09:32 PM   #13
VMJYogi
CF Addict

Well i'd like to start off by saying that i have the feeling that i don't even deserve to be replying to this post. I noticed that everyone that has replied so far have been well known people in this forum and this is only my second day as a member here. But that was a very well written essay about the Miata and i am glad to have read it. I am still a young kid but i have the dream of becoming a tired old man that can still beat the brakes off of us young punks. Well thats all i can think of saying at the moment.

Self-appointed anchorman of CF. I bring the news with a savvy tongue b*tch!
Now an ever prouder DEP of the USMC
I get fresh from Yankee Stadium to the Gardens i beg your pardon, stop it, my closet Macys mens department pants shirt scarf phone if you checkin get the scoop on the cologne belt and shoe section fur for fur baby baby you'll go stir crazy
Old 07-05-2004, 06:04 AM   #14
jcutsh
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMJYogi
Well i'd like to start off by saying that i have the feeling that i don't even deserve to be replying to this post. I noticed that everyone that has replied so far have been well known people in this forum and this is only my second day as a member here. But that was a very well written essay about the Miata and i am glad to have read it. I am still a young kid but i have the dream of becoming a tired old man that can still beat the brakes off of us young punks. Well thats all i can think of saying at the moment.

Yogi
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the reply. It is people like you, us old timers need to reach out and touch. We have already made most of the mistakes and can help prevent that from happening to you. As you post we'll get better aquainted and know more about you and your needs. Your the kind of person that makes me want to write more. Thanks again, and remember there are no stupid questions.

Old 07-06-2004, 08:52 PM   #15
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Whilest I didn't read your post. I wholey agree with you. While I don't fit in a Miata and would never own one. they are one of THE best sports cars out on the market. They handle like an exotic. I've been to several SCCA races and 50% of some classes are Miatas. I've seen in stock classes stock Miatas with new shocks and tires wail on cars with twice their power (ala Mustang GT). I respect the Miata for people who can fit in them. And with a turbo or a 5.0 swap, are not only good handling but FAST.

~Blow your mind~

Closed Thread