Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2005, 01:17 AM   #1
newyorker
MXman

Fuel Injectors

OK so I wana get new injectors for my neon. I have noticed a measuring called lbs./hour....what does this mean? Do the ones with say 15 give better economy than the ones with 30? And where can I find a set of 4 OEM for around 100 and aftermarket for around 150. Ive looked everywhere and cant find anytihng.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 06:13 AM   #2
Wally
I Know More Than You

The lbs/hour is the weight of the fuel that flows through the injector in one hour at a specified pressure.

For example an injector that has a maxiumum flow of 200cc/min @ 250kPa is aprrox. equivalent of flowing 19lbs/hr at 35.8 psi.

You shouldn't muck around with injector sizing unless you can access/modify your fueling and timing maps and meet MLPT.

About 7.74cc/min/kW for normal running condition (8.45cc/min/kW for forced induction)

Last edited by Wally : 12-18-2005 at 06:18 AM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 07:07 AM   #3
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
OK so I wana get new injectors for my neon. I have noticed a measuring called lbs./hour....what does this mean? Do the ones with say 15 give better economy than the ones with 30? And where can I find a set of 4 OEM for around 100 and aftermarket for around 150. Ive looked everywhere and cant find anytihng.

From what I know you can't just change your fuel injectors and expect better gas mileage.

It's more so for people upping their performance with supers and turbos they change the fuel injectors for a better fuel/air ratio, which in turn means more power.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:05 AM   #4
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
From what I know you can't just change your fuel injectors and expect better gas mileage.

It's more so for people upping their performance with supers and turbos they change the fuel injectors for a better fuel/air ratio, which in turn means more power.
So you mean to tell me that if I change my injectors at the moment notihng will happen?
Old 12-19-2005, 04:40 AM   #5
Wally
I Know More Than You

If they're significantly larger, something will happen alright. And if they are half the capacity you'll also notice a difference
Old 12-19-2005, 04:41 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
So you mean to tell me that if I change my injectors at the moment notihng will happen?
Why do you always go from one extreme to another? Don't you think that yours, and certainly our experience on this forum might be more pleasurable if you had the slightest clue about what you ask? Replacing your injectors with new or remanufactured units MAY help your fuel consumption slightly if they're worn out or clogged/becoming clogged. Replacing them MAY also slightly increase performance or improve driveability if there is a problem with them. However, replacing the current injectors with ones of a lower rating won't do much except confuse the PCM and probably hurt mileage, performance and drivability.

Oh, I forgot one thing that I can guarantee will happen if you replace your injectors. It'll put at least a $100 in your pocket.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:56 AM   #7
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Why do you always go from one extreme to another? Don't you think that yours, and certainly our experience on this forum might be more pleasurable if you had the slightest clue about what you ask? Replacing your injectors with new or remanufactured units MAY help your fuel consumption slightly if they're worn out or clogged/becoming clogged. Replacing them MAY also slightly increase performance or improve driveability if there is a problem with them. However, replacing the current injectors with ones of a lower rating won't do much except confuse the PCM and probably hurt mileage, performance and drivability.

Oh, I forgot one thing that I can guarantee will happen if you replace your injectors. It'll put at least a $100 in your pocket.
Sarcasm? I dont quite understand what you mean. And instead of coming at me saying im clueless about the topic (Which i really am), why not just offer advice without being so hard on people? Basically from your explanation, it makes no sense to put in new injectors. But how about spark plugs? A new set is only about 20-30 dollars, and I heard it helps a bit.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:58 AM   #8
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Sarcasm? I dont quite understand what you mean. And instead of coming at me saying im clueless about the topic (Which i really am), why not just offer advice without being so hard on people? Basically from your explanation, it makes no sense to put in new injectors. But how about spark plugs? A new set is only about 20-30 dollars, and I heard it helps a bit.

When I bought spark plugs for my firebird they were only 1.50 each... n not the cheapest I could have gotten...

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 05:03 AM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Exactly my point. Instead of being on this forum practicing your typing skills, you'd learn ten times as much twice as fast by reading some technical reference books on the subject and then picking up your tools and going out and actually working on your car. Why should those of us who do understand how these things work spend our time explaining them to you if you aren't willing to put forth the effort to learn about them yourself? Believe it or not, those of us with the knowledge and experience weren't born with it, and it wasn't bestowed upon us by some automotive repair god. I can assure you that although our paths my have been somewhat different, we all had to put substantial time and effort into gaining the skills that we have.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 12-19-2005, 05:37 AM   #10
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Lbs/hour measures what they CAN put out, not what they will. As long as your car is tuned to regulate stock fuel pressure, it will always inject stock fuel pressure unless theres problems with something.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:42 AM   #11
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Exactly my point. Instead of being on this forum practicing your typing skills, you'd learn ten times as much twice as fast by reading some technical reference books on the subject and then picking up your tools and going out and actually working on your car. Why should those of us who do understand how these things work spend our time explaining them to you if you aren't willing to put forth the effort to learn about them yourself? Believe it or not, those of us with the knowledge and experience weren't born with it, and it wasn't bestowed upon us by some automotive repair god. I can assure you that although our paths my have been somewhat different, we all had to put substantial time and effort into gaining the skills that we have.
See you can be formal in putting forth your opinions. What about these ASE certs ive been hearing about. Can I at 17 years old test and attempt to get them? Is there a fee to the test? Some kinda course you need to take before you can test? How many do you have?
Old 12-19-2005, 07:04 AM   #12
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
Lbs/hour measures what they CAN put out, not what they will. As long as your car is tuned to regulate stock fuel pressure, it will always inject stock fuel pressure unless theres problems with something.

Please explain?
Old 12-19-2005, 08:19 AM   #13
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
See you can be formal in putting forth your opinions. What about these ASE certs ive been hearing about. Can I at 17 years old test and attempt to get them? Is there a fee to the test? Some kinda course you need to take before you can test? How many do you have?

Uhh, yeah its a 2 month course, once a week, with a final test. Then you get your ASE certification!
Old 12-19-2005, 01:04 PM   #14
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
Uhh, yeah its a 2 month course, once a week, with a final test. Then you get your ASE certification!
Just one?
Old 12-19-2005, 01:36 PM   #15
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
Say what?

Quote:
Anybody can test, but it takes a substantial amount of knowledge if you expect to pass that test. You also have to provide proof of at least two years hands on experience in the area that you're testing to become certified. Cost for testing is a $32 registration fee plus $26 to $52 additional per test.

As for courses, any type of automotive course you can take will help, there are online and paper study guides and completion of some schools such as WyoTech and UTI count toward one year experience, but I don't know of any ASE certification specific schools.

To see my certs, look at my profile.