Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2004, 02:39 AM   #1
genghis56
CF Newbie

Out of State buying...

Hi, I am currently looking to buy a car off ebay, but the car is out of state. Does anyone know how the process works with taxes and registration? I live in NC and the car is in Tennesee, and I'm looking to buy from a person. Does anyone know if I will be able to get tags in TN, so I can drive back to NC? Thanx in advance
genghis56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 02:57 AM   #2
jcutsh
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghis56
Hi, I am currently looking to buy a car off ebay, but the car is out of state. Does anyone know how the process works with taxes and registration? I live in NC and the car is in Tennesee, and I'm looking to buy from a person. Does anyone know if I will be able to get tags in TN, so I can drive back to NC? Thanx in advance

When you buy a car, you have thirty days to register. Just make sure to have the signed title and bill of sale with you at all times. You may register where you wish. Be sure you see your insurance agent before you go to Tenn. He will handle you insurance and give you a varification card. That way the car is covered on the trip home. Most companies will cover your new purchase for three to seven days, without notification. you do not need a tag to drive the car home. You do not need to pay taxes in Tenn.

Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumba$$ question will inevitably appear smarta$$ed"

Last edited by jcutsh : 06-29-2004 at 03:03 AM.
jcutsh is offline   Reply With Quote