Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2004, 05:52 AM   #1
CF Newbie
MaChao's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 89
Question Engine computer thingeys...

As you can tell by the title of this thread, I do not even know what exactly I am talking about. But what I'm referring to are the different names they put on the engines...

Like V-TEC, Variable Valve Timing, or VVT-i (with my car), and I heard of BMW's VANOS (I've only heard of it on the forum).

So my questions are:
- What are the general names for these?
- What are some other ones?
- What do some of them stand for?
- What exactly do they do? Control valves or something?
- What makes them different?
- What makes any one of them better?
- And which one is better...or best?

2004 Lexus IS300

Last edited by MaChao : 06-29-2004 at 05:56 AM.
MaChao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 06:01 AM   #2
El del Supra
Inygknok's Avatar
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,863
1) if by general names u mean wat r they called, they r just the names of the systems that the companies made to make the engines breathe better by variating the timing of the opening and closing of valves, spark plug firing, lift of the valves, etc.

2) others ones would be the VTC (by nissan), and i forgot the name of the ferrari one.

3) V-TEC stands for something like Variable Valve lift and control Timing Electronnically Controlled or something like taht.
VVT-i is Variable Valve Timing with intelligence
VTC - Valve Timing something
so on so on, just search in, its easy to find.

4) read the first explanation i gave, thats generally the basic idea.

5) i dont get wat u mean by wat makes them different.

6) the better the engine breathes, the more efficient it is, meaning the more power it can make with the less amount of work, if not the same amount of work. also, the less pollution it causes.

7) the one with the best controlling performance and the one that controls the more aspects possible of the engine is the best.

8) not sure which one is the best, v-tec only controls the opening and closing and the lift of the valves. others control spark plug timing, others do both but on exhaust side or the intake side only, etc. can answer this

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.