Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2004, 06:05 AM   #1
Denis0727
CF Newbie

Exclamation What Car Should I Get . . . ? Help Needed

I currently live in Staten Island, NY but spend a lot of time in more Urban areas of NY. Im planning on getting my first car sometime very soon, but i have a great deal of driving experience because i usually drive my parents car. Buying the right car is a very difficult choice for me because i dont want to go wrong. I had a manual Volkswagen GTI in mind for a very long time but a few things made me think twice about it. For instance my price range ,the durability of the car, general performance, and maintenance cost. I would get the '02 GTI 1.8t but its too expencive for my taste. A4 came in to my mind but i dunno still alittle too expencive. Honestly im a Bavarian feen i love everything about german cars but sometimes u cant always have wat u want so, i decided to go with a American or Japanese car. Im still pondering over many things. . . Manual or Auto, Suv or sports compact? I do spend a lot of my time with my friends and we love to go out and jus honestly relax on the road, but yet again i do enjoy the thrill of driving and i want to have total control of the car with its maximum performance. I love speed, style, and girls.

Cars that i was considering: A4, MK4 GTI, MK3 GTI, '99+ Mustang. . .

I need all the help i can get because i might be getting a car very soon in matter of days.
Denis0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 01:29 PM   #2
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Well are'nt you just the splendor. You seem to have no idea what you want but from the selection of cars you listed you like sporty cars and room for 3 or more. I like both the Golf GTI MK4/3 and the A4. The GTI's are more the fun to drive cars and the A4 has more the fun to drive with a relaxed tone to it. If you have the money I'd say go with the MK4, its fun, reliable, fast, and roomy..

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 05:59 PM   #3
importluva
Obsessed with imports

If you like german cars, go with german cars! No sense being disappointed/unhappy later. If you can't afford the latest search for a used one online or call local dealers, look in the paper, etc.

Also, if you want good speed, you might want to consider the large sport compact segment of the industry. It caters to speed cravers. SUVs generally don't go along with speed, but maybe that's just me.

what is your budget?
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 06:16 PM   #4
Denis0727
CF Newbie

I have around 8-9gs to spend . . . and lately i was considering a Mustang just due to the fact that it more affordable and has very low maintenance cost. Im that type of guy where i would rather have a fully loaded car than one with more horses and cloth seats. So i was considering getting the regular Mustang around '01 with 40 or less miles . . . cd changer, leather, etc. Most likely ill be getting a car through an auction. What do u guys think of the mustang idea? and getting a car on an auction?

Basicly i need as much help as i can and opinions matter a lot to me.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:33 PM   #5
importluva
Obsessed with imports

mustangs are very nice cars, but here im biased b/c my father works for ford. jd&p says its mechanically sound and reliable, so that's clear.

im thinking since the new mustang ('05) will be out soon, the market is going to be flooded with older mustangs that people will dump in efforts to get the new one. maybe if you are a little patient, you can get really good deals on a fairly recent one.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:25 PM   #6
Denis0727
CF Newbie

Yea thats exactly wat i was thinking, but im afraid of making the wrong choice. I looked into a jetta today, it turns out that they are a lot cheaper than the GTi there was a 2004 model selling for around 13 with 4000 miles. I personaly kno that i can make almost any german car look good. Maybe im being alittle too cocky but ive been studing up on bavarian marks for a long time.

Then again i dunno wat to do about the ransmission weather to buy a manual or auto as my daily driver. Honestly i dunno, my original dream car was a AE GTi or a 337 Gti but they are alittle too much for my budget. I can make a conversion on the body of the jetta making it look like the new GLI.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:07 AM   #7
Denis0727
CF Newbie

what do u guys think??
Old 07-01-2004, 07:57 AM   #8
Starscream13
CF Newbie

First of all m8, a small piece of knowledge. When ur refering to "Bavarian" cars u r refering to BMW.
Now as for ur problem, have u considered buying the new Audi A3? With the 2.0 lt FSI engine. It produces 150bhp. Very "German" in its quality, in its design, in its driving pleasure. Its a very nice car.
I'm with the prophets and the prophecy goes on.."

~SOULFLY~
Starscream13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 08:06 AM   #9
Unlicensed
CF Enthusiast

i would have to say get manual whichever way you decide to go! you cant have fun behind the wheel of an auto.

golf/audi/skoda/seat, all the same chassi and underpinnings and all without any real power. 150hp with a turbo? front wheel drive? come on!!! if you want reliable and modified friendly? gt-4 / vr-4. 170kw / 205kw

this is only my opinion, but please dont buy auto!!!

btw, golf 1.8 turbo gti also has 150hp, not just the audi.

Last edited by Unlicensed : 07-01-2004 at 08:09 AM. Reason: forgot point of fact
Unlicensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 08:14 AM   #10
Starscream13
CF Newbie

Unlicensed, u got a point. But I have the answer rdy. BMW series 1. 150bhp, rwd, sheer driving pleasure, outstanding quality. But i dont know when its going to be released in the States...
I'm with the prophets and the prophecy goes on.."

~SOULFLY~
Starscream13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 08:28 AM   #11
Unlicensed
CF Enthusiast

ahh? you might be on the button there! german? check! compact? check! rear wheel drive? check!
not bad!? only thing for me is, still not enuf power. but then it aint for me though is it.
that would be about the best option in my mind for that type of car.
that and golf vr6

IN MANUAL
Old 07-01-2004, 03:42 PM   #12
importluva
Obsessed with imports

BMW doesn't have any current plans to sell the 1series here, it's competition for the mini. Furthermore, the guy has only 8-9gs, prolly not enough to afford a brand new 1 series.

If you know how to drive a manual, and you want driving pleasure, then go with the manual. BUT, since you live in NY, traffic should be prety bad, so the auto might be more practical. Personally, id go with the manual regardless of the traffic.

Heres the deal with jetta vs mustang. The jetta will be a little more expensive, is FWD while the mustang is RWD, jetta has less power than mustang, and jetta has poorer reliability. it comes down to whether you want power and thrills of rwd (while you might get harassed by the v8 owners ) or you want style and fulfill your love for german cars. Again, there may be a bias here...

Last edited by importluva : 07-01-2004 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:06 PM   #13
87TurboII
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
BMW doesn't have any current plans to sell the 1series here, it's competition for the mini. Furthermore, the guy has only 8-9gs, prolly not enough to afford a brand new 1 series.

If you know how to drive a manual, and you want driving pleasure, then go with the manual. BUT, since you live in NY, traffic should be prety bad, so the auto might be more practical. Personally, id go with the manual regardless of the traffic.

Heres the deal with jetta vs mustang. The jetta will be a little more expensive, is FWD while the mustang is RWD, jetta has less power than mustang, and jetta has poorer reliability. it comes down to whether you want power and thrills of rwd (while you might get harassed by the v8 owners ) or you want style and fulfill your love for german cars. Again, there may be a bias here...

It is basically all up to you like import luva said it is all up weather or not youi want fun for manual trans( perferably my desicion) or you want style it all comes down to your desicion we are just trying to help you
Hi. My name is Devin, and I am 12 years old. I really don't own a car, as the car I have shown you in my previous posts belongs to my brother. Please disregard any information I post beyond this point.

OWNED BY RYAN!
87TurboII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 07:59 AM   #14
Unlicensed
CF Enthusiast

so after all this, would you say the vr6 is the best option?

most powerful car in the golf range! nimble enuf for any urban driving.

manual vr6 it should be then
Old 07-02-2004, 04:56 PM   #15
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlicensed
so after all this, would you say the vr6 is the best option?

most powerful car in the golf range! nimble enuf for any urban driving.

manual vr6 it should be then

Im not sure if you are talking to me.

But the bottom line is this. The mustang has more torque and hp than the jetta vr6 (couldn't find specs on golf vr6 MY2001), at a lower cost, and has really good aftermarket. But, the jetta has more interior volume, 4drs, comfort, etc.