Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2004, 07:32 AM   #1
CrazyRusky
Banned

Question Need Advice Plz First Time Car Buyer

Hi i just to ask if anyone can give me advice on what car to buy. i can spend around 4-5k not too much. i was thinking about biuying a kia cause some of the price i seen on those cars are fabulous. jsut check this out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

these are jsut some example's i mean there are good deals on other cars too but for the money im spending i cant really buy a car the looks this good. i just wanted to get a more detailed idea 00/01/02 kia will last atleast 2-3 years. well throw any advice at me thanks!!!!!
CrazyRusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 08:01 AM   #2
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

I don't see why a KIA should'nt last for 2-3 years. My next door neighbor has a Sephia and its about a 98 and he bought it brand new. They are not exactly the best in the market, in fact they are the worst mechanicly, but for a simple first car to last 2-3 years I say go for it. I would'nt mind owing a Sephia,Elantra or Rio. Although I would adivse you look for another reliable car in similar price range..

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...

Last edited by DSMer : 06-30-2004 at 10:22 AM.
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:54 PM   #3
Paprika
CF Newbie

Hey, I am buying my first car too... and I got the flaming of a lifetime on my usual board when I told them what I wanted to go for initally which was a Cavalier. I know your not picking a cavalier but the moral of this short incomplete story is you need to do your research!

Now I know that may sound like a daunting task but it's rather reassuring that your car will last you for as long as you need it to, and researching does not have to take very long. Commit yourself to doing it and it can be done over a period of a few days.

One way of doing it is to goto a used car lot and write down all of the cars you think are low-cost but you like, then go research them on research.cars.com, carsurvey.org, IIHS Website and edmunds.com; Basically your looking the the safest car you like the styling and features of, then look through the model years for a model year which bought used or pre-owned certified is affordable for you.

But whatever you do, before you lay down the money atleast check carsurvey.org for their reliability reviews and the IIHS website for safety ratings. You don't want to end up in the world's most dangerous and mechanically unreliable car just because it was affordable and looked nice.

If you need any assistance let me know. I'm new to this too and I'm tring to stay under 5k but oh well..
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 05:52 PM   #4
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Id get a kia/hyundai if it has a good warranty...
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 06:20 PM   #5
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
Id get a kia/hyundai if it has a good warranty...
The newer commercials advertise a 10yr/100,000mile warrant. Is that good enough for ya importluva?

Old 06-30-2004, 06:50 PM   #6
importluva
Obsessed with imports

yup, that's the warranty i was referring to.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:24 PM   #7
Inygknok
El del Supra

and the Tiburon V6 looks really damn well too

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 10:40 PM   #8
Ki2AY
CF's Pond Scum

i suggest going for a much more reliable car such as a boring honda, toyota etc. find a used one for your price range.. im sure you can find 1997+ models... im wondering.. y cant u use your 4-5g's as downpayment?
Old 07-01-2004, 12:23 AM   #9
CrazyRusky
Banned

Wow great info.

the reason im asking about kia is because i can get a ralatively new car for about 4-5k and no matter how bad a car is mechanically it will atleast last for 3 years if it 2000+ or no? im jsut guessing cause cars usually wear down after 120k miles or so. im not sure if my information is correct, jsut going upon father and friends info.

in general now its down between a 97 honda or toyota or a 2000+ kia cause i saw a 2002 nice ass kia sell for 5.1k i mean thats a deal. but if its a death trap ill reconsider.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:43 AM   #10
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRusky
the reason im asking about kia is because i can get a ralatively new car for about 4-5k and no matter how bad a car is mechanically it will atleast last for 3 years if it 2000+ or no? im jsut guessing cause cars usually wear down after 120k miles or so. im not sure if my information is correct, jsut going upon father and friends info.

in general now its down between a 97 honda or toyota or a 2000+ kia cause i saw a 2002 nice ass kia sell for 5.1k i mean thats a deal. but if its a death trap ill reconsider.

Theres nothing wrong with a Kia, just get a brand to fairly new one. If you want one then buy it, don't let anyone talk you into some honda. Everyone has hondas, if you want a Kia go ahead and get one. A 10yr/100,000mile warranty should cover you in the event that something go wrong...might I ad they are not bad looking cars. I seen my nextdoor neighbors 16yr old daughters Kia Elantra. Nice leather interior, what appears to be some sort of wood grain cosmetic dash, shiftronic and automatic gear box, and thats about as much as I could see inside her car before her father came out shoeing me away from his daughter and the recesses of her car . But I mean he bought a 5k car for her and it looks just as nice as my moms 40k Diamante. They are decent cars that look good for decent money.

Old 07-01-2004, 01:00 AM   #11
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Theres nothing wrong with a Kia, just get a brand to fairly new one. If you want one then buy it, don't let anyone talk you into some honda. Everyone has hondas, if you want a Kia go ahead and get one. A 10yr/100,000mile warranty should cover you in the event that something go wrong...might I ad they are not bad looking cars. I seen my nextdoor neighbors 16yr old daughters Kia Elantra. Nice leather interior, what appears to be some sort of wood grain cosmetic dash, shiftronic and automatic gear box, and thats about as much as I could see inside her car before her father came out shoeing me away from his daughter and the recesses of her car . But I mean he bought a 5k car for her and it looks just as nice as my moms 40k Diamante. They are decent cars that look good for decent money.

someone has been sneaking peeks

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 01:17 AM   #12
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
someone has been sneaking peeks
Hehe I meant Kia Amanti, yeah shes Mexican and her father does'nt take well to boys snooping arround in her car with her. She got it and was like "lets go cruizing!!" I could'nt decline. Hes been staring at me since...

Old 07-01-2004, 08:51 AM   #13
Unlicensed
CF Enthusiast

so is kia just the american name for hyundai? if so I'd tell ya go and get one.

Hyundai take most of there underpinnings and running gear from mitsubishi.
I was given a lantra gls a couple years back for a tempory drive car from work, I tried to give it death so i could get the merc instead the next week. After 2 days of driving the lantra though i didn't want the merc. I swear I couldn't shake the thing off the road. i got a real windy route back home when i want to take it, I didn't believe that thing was fwd and only 2.0lt. It cornered like a 4wd on y rated rubber!!!

I wouldn't buy one, but i would if i was after a decent first car!
Unlicensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 07:17 PM   #14
87TurboII
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlicensed
so is kia just the american name for hyundai? if so I'd tell ya go and get one.

Hyundai take most of there underpinnings and running gear from mitsubishi.
I was given a lantra gls a couple years back for a tempory drive car from work, I tried to give it death so i could get the merc instead the next week. After 2 days of driving the lantra though i didn't want the merc. I swear I couldn't shake the thing off the road. i got a real windy route back home when i want to take it, I didn't believe that thing was fwd and only 2.0lt. It cornered like a 4wd on y rated rubber!!!

I wouldn't buy one, but i would if i was after a decent first car!

Very true they are very good first cars i had one and then moved on to more performance
Hi. My name is Devin, and I am 12 years old. I really don't own a car, as the car I have shown you in my previous posts belongs to my brother. Please disregard any information I post beyond this point.

OWNED BY RYAN!
87TurboII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 08:17 PM   #15
CrazyRusky
Banned

hmm, guys i dont know now

I just finished doing some research on the kia and poeple are saying some scary things like they needed a tranny after 4000 mile and 1 guys had his engine replaced 3 times and the engine light still keeps coming on now and then and antoher guys said thank god for the warranty cause its a peice of junk. now here my dilemna im buying my car from ebay does it still come with a warranty after that or am i gonna get real screwed?!?