Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2004, 03:36 PM   #1
camaro2000
CF Newbie

'63 cutlass restoration

I have a cutlass that has all the pieces but all the body panels and some other things are taken off of it. My boyfriend and I are going to somewhat restore/reassemble it. We were planning on just cleaning it up a bit, painting the body panels and putting it back together but is there anything else that could be done while everything is off of it? Like a half restoration or something? I have no idea where to begin... Do you know anythign that for sure would need to be replaced? We are trying to do this as cheaply as possible. Thanks
camaro2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 11:27 PM   #2
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2000
I have a cutlass that has all the pieces but all the body panels and some other things are taken off of it. My boyfriend and I are going to somewhat restore/reassemble it. We were planning on just cleaning it up a bit, painting the body panels and putting it back together but is there anything else that could be done while everything is off of it? Like a half restoration or something? I have no idea where to begin... Do you know anythign that for sure would need to be replaced? We are trying to do this as cheaply as possible. Thanks
I'd just like to tell you restorations are not cheap. EVER. If you only have the body panels off, you should be nowhere near re-assembly. You got a lot more disassembly to do if you want to "restore" this Cutlass. By the question you have asked, you are cleary not qualified to do this restoration.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 11:37 PM   #3
Ki2AY
CF's Pond Scum

he meant that in the most respective manner possible.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:39 AM   #4
camaro2000
CF Newbie

"I'd just like to tell you restorations are not cheap. EVER. If you only have the body panels off, you should be nowhere near re-assembly. You got a lot more disassembly to do if you want to "restore" this Cutlass. By the question you have asked, you are cleary not qualified to do this restoration."

well ok then... well where would I start if I just wanted to reassemble the car and not restore it? I just need to get it back together, sell it, and get it out of the garage. It's in fairly good condition. I was just wondering if there were little pieces (possibly made of rubber or something) that some people more experienced than I know usually need to be replaced. and since the body panels are off, it would be easier to do stuff like that now instead of after they're back on and I have to wedge my hands and tools down into the crevices of the car. I heard somewhere that usually the wiring harness needs to be replaced. Do you agree with this? or if it still works, it's ok to leave on the car? And yes I know i'm not qualified to do a restoration on a car... I'm probably not even qualified to change out spark plugs, but the only way to learn how to do things is by doing them. Might as well learn on this car that isn't my daily driver!
camaro2000 is offline   Reply With Quote