Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2004, 11:28 AM   #1
CAMEL
CF Newbie

Old American cars

Just after a bit of history comments and so on about the middle aged American cars.
In Australian old car magazines all the 50's and 60's Chevs Pontiac Buick and others are so expensive, 40k is not a high price. Are these old cars still common in the US and when are they driven (often or not). I look at them and am amazed at the massive engines and power of them and these days, the fuel bill of running one, and the fact that 90% of them are autos. But they are beautiful old cars, and if i had a spare 40 grand, i probably wouldn't buy one.
CAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 02:25 PM   #2
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

I can tell you that in Wisconsin you rarely see them driving around. Once in a while you will spot one. The exception is when there is a car show near by. Then they tend to come out in bunches as long as the weather is nice.

I would imagine that they are more common in the southern states since weather is a bit nicer and they have a longer driving season.

As a point of interest, I was in Kansas City last week and came across a classic car lot. They had a lot of late 40's and 50's Buicks, a couple pick-up trucks, and 2 Saabs. But what really caught my eye, (and made me think about how to get them home) were a 1948 Chrysler Limo and 1957 Lincoln. They were both in need of a lot of TLC but were good solid cars to start a restoration on. The Lincoln was around $2000 and there was no price on the Limo. If I didn't already have projects waiting though, they would have came home with me.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 48ChryslerLimo.gif (77.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpeg 57LIN.jpeg (62.8 KB, 3 views)
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote