Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2004, 09:29 AM   #1
Simo
CF Newbie

Unhappy I got a ticket for my windows being too dark

what a way to ruin my freakin day. I just got my windows tinted 3 days ago with the money i got for my graduation (set me back 270 bucks) and i get pulled over by a cop and he gave me a ticket because my windows were tinted too dark. Keep in mind i live in new york state and the tint laws are very strict, hell if i breathe on my window it would be illegal lol. anyways i guess my side windows only allowed 18% light to come through and the guy gave me a ticket for that. my question is do any of you know how much this ticket will cost me, even a ballpark figure would be nice to know. heres a picture of my car to show you the tint

thanks

American Muscle
Simo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 02:07 PM   #2
Patrick
CF Addict

Location: Louisville, KY. We don't wear shoes, and it would be a shame to see someone with a full set of teeth.
Red face

If you got a ticket for it, it's going to have an amount on the ticket. Ten points- probably would have been a good idea to check the laws about tinted windows in your state before tinting them...

"Treat man as he is, and he will remain as he is. Treat a man as he could be, and he will become what he should be." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"A man's health can be measured by which he takes two at a time-- pills or stairs." ~ Joan Welsh
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 08:48 AM   #3
harrisonca
CF Newbie

Angry NY Tint laws are strict

Wow New York Tint laws are strict, 70% on the side windows and anything on the rear window.

70% is lighter than almost all the window films on the market. The only thing that probably qualifies is this new type of window film that is extremely light (70%) but still blocks 60% of heat from Huper Optik or V-Kool window film maufacturers here at this Car Tint Site, but both of these types of films are super premium, very expensive.

Good Luck... You will probably need to get the window film removed now too.

-- harrison
harrisonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:19 PM   #4
Lukaz
CF-Mitsucolt

sounds same type of law in Uk. at the back it can be as dark as you like. the front well its just illegal no matter what so its a sun strip or nothing. as for the side well its stupid hardly worth tinting them cos legal tints look rubbish!

Mitsubishi Mirage 1.6i 16V GLX - My New lil runner this year
Lukaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 03:54 PM   #5
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

I would have to say that it was money wasted! You should know the tint laws (or check them out) prior to spending your cash on tint.

I may be mistaken, but I think it is only a Fix-it ticket here in Ca. You'll have to take it to get inspected by a cop or something. There may be a fine, but it shouldn't be too much unless you're someone whose already been "in" for the same.

Bottom line...know the laws before modifying your car.

PS...it may be that the tint you put on just attracted the cops...it is kind loud and (pardon my opinion) ugly. Next time go for the dark subdued and not the shiny "look at me!" tint.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 01:34 AM   #6
Dustin
CF Newbie

Bummer

Well thats upsetting news, and a bummer you can't get your money back.
Glad i live in Canada. At least i don't think the tint laws are that .... intence.

Good luck with your window problem.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:30 PM   #7
lutz
Top-Hat

It's the same problem over here in Germany. About Thailand I know that you could laying bricks on the windows and not one single cop would give you ticket for.

On the other hand, what about sun glasses??

Have A Drink On Me!

lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 06:43 PM   #8
Ki2AY
CF's Pond Scum

I actually just got my rear windows tinted 5%... My friend tinted his to limo… and I live in california.. They cops don’t really care here, atleast for north california… the legal law is that you can only have your front windows tinted up to 45% no lower than that…. But while I was at the shop, they asked if I wanted the front to be tinted to 35%, and i asked if that is legal or not, he claimed it wasnt legal, but the cops cant really tell and they dont giva damn... Many of my friends have their front windows tinted down to 35%.. I don’t think the cops really care about that.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:01 PM   #9
Car Nirvana
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukaz
sounds same type of law in Uk. at the back it can be as dark as you like. the front well its just illegal no matter what so its a sun strip or nothing. as for the side well its stupid hardly worth tinting them cos legal tints look rubbish!
WOW what is your problem with the UK Most of the posts ive seen of yours dis the UK in some way or another

Noble M400 = Good bye M3 CSL and 911 GT3
M400 Lap time 52.60sec
911 GT3 Lap time 54.20sec
M3 CSL Lap time 54.75sec

And just for you Cliffy.....
M400 On the road 18/20
M3 CSL On the road 12/20
Review from Autocar
Car Nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 04:17 PM   #10
TanyasMkIISupra
CF Newbie

That really sucks, I can see your windshield through the side window tint...I've seen a LOT darker down here, some even darker with OEM tint... stupid I say