Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2004, 03:30 AM   #1
Patrick
CF Addict

Location: Louisville, KY. We don't wear shoes, and it would be a shame to see someone with a full set of teeth.
Smile Cheap tuning- 1993 Honda Accord

Greetings, gentry! I have been thinking a lot lately about what I would like to do to my car once I get it (and have some income from a job). I'll have a very limited budget, so if you were thinking of telling me to swap the engine to the tune of $3k, then don't even bother. I know that there is the typical exhaust/intake-type stuff, but are there any brands that you'd recommend? I realize this is going to walk a fine line with advertising, but we'll see how it goes. It's a 1993 Honda Accord LX with the 2.2L four-cylinder engine. It's also a stickshift.

"Treat man as he is, and he will remain as he is. Treat a man as he could be, and he will become what he should be." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"A man's health can be measured by which he takes two at a time-- pills or stairs." ~ Joan Welsh
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 04:26 AM   #2
Inygknok
El del Supra

some other guy asked the same thing but i think it was for the newer accord..... cant remember, just have a look.

according to another one of the members, skunk2 specialices on Hondas. so i guess u could go to them for the exhaust/intake stuff.

i would say do an ecu tune, but if its just mild mods, then the money on the ecu tune is not worth it. maybe other simple mods.... like cam gears, maybe cams (ok, so those aint that simple or cheap but its an idea)......

well theres quite a few things that can be done for relatively cheap. i guess u just need to state ur real goals for the car.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 09:21 PM   #3
Patrick
CF Addict

Location: Louisville, KY. We don't wear shoes, and it would be a shame to see someone with a full set of teeth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
some other guy asked the same thing but i think it was for the newer accord..... cant remember, just have a look.

according to another one of the members, skunk2 specialices on Hondas. so i guess u could go to them for the exhaust/intake stuff.

i would say do an ecu tune, but if its just mild mods, then the money on the ecu tune is not worth it. maybe other simple mods.... like cam gears, maybe cams (ok, so those aint that simple or cheap but its an idea)......

well theres quite a few things that can be done for relatively cheap. i guess u just need to state ur real goals for the car.

I am willing to admit the fact that mechanically speaking, I am dumbfounded by cars. I have a couple questions- What is an ECU tune? How many ponies could I expect to round up from one? And, how much is it going to lighten my wallet?

My goals, though totally unspecific and probably won't lend you any more idea of what to recommend than before, are to make the car as fast as I can for the least amount of money. I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to street race, although it sounds like an incomprehensible adrenaline rush.
Also, my brother mentioned that it's a waste of my time to try and tune the car, since it has 180k miles on it. I realize that this is a lot, but I figure that with as strong as Honda engines are, it could handle it decently. Opinions?

"Treat man as he is, and he will remain as he is. Treat a man as he could be, and he will become what he should be." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"A man's health can be measured by which he takes two at a time-- pills or stairs." ~ Joan Welsh
Old 07-04-2004, 06:14 AM   #4
Inygknok
El del Supra

my car has 187k miles on it n im still gonna mod it. im taking the engine to the machine shop to have it put in its almost brand new conditions (shot-peened stock internals, reground the valvetrain, balance rotating assembly, port and polish, knife edging, among other things). its not cheap to do all of that, specially if the engine is in bad conditions, maybe worse if some parts need replacing.

all of that will give u some power, but not much. its more of a maintainance and reliability thing, mainly if u plan on adding alot of powers to a stock engine.

the cheapest ECU tune ive ever heard of was around $400. an ECU tune is wat the name implies, a tuning of the ECU. just buy a performance chip for less than half the price.

honestly, basic mods would be a performance chip, exhaust, headers, new clutch, get the flywheel machined (theres a process that lightens it), intake filter, and if u feel like it, a new intake manifold with a bigger TB.

Old 07-04-2004, 04:30 PM   #5
Patrick
CF Addict

Unhappy

Quote:
the cheapest ECU tune ive ever heard of was around $400. an ECU tune is wat the name implies, a tuning of the ECU. just buy a performance chip for less than half the price.

honestly, basic mods would be a performance chip, exhaust, headers, new clutch, get the flywheel machined (theres a process that lightens it), intake filter, and if u feel like it, a new intake manifold with a bigger TB.

If I were to buy those mods altogether, how much am I looking at paying? Maybe I'm too cheap for modding my car, after all.

Old 07-05-2004, 04:35 AM   #6
Inygknok
El del Supra

hmmm.... well both of our cars are a bit different.... and im having some of those things custom made for me.... im having the intake manifold customized, the TB customized, the complete exhaust customized except for the canister which will be some new one i can find for cheap, the clutch im getting one that was used in just one race and my mechanic took it out cuz he immediatly got his double plate clutch (bastard), so on so on.

machining the flywheel shouldnt cost more than $40, its costing me only $35. a clutch kit from ACT or SPEC (includes pressure plate and disc, TO bearing and the other bearing with alignment tool) costs a maximum of around $330 (which is great and u can get them for cheaper). a brand new intake manifold could cost u around $200 or a bit more, and u can just hve the TB bored out for i dont know how much. performance chips can cost from $120 to around $200 or something. headers, some can be a bit expensive.

well the list just keeps going and going, just do a search on google n ull get clear correct answers.

Old 07-05-2004, 04:55 PM   #7
Patrick
CF Addict

Unhappy

Quote:
hmmm.... well both of our cars are a bit different.... and im having some of those things custom made for me.... im having the intake manifold customized, the TB customized, the complete exhaust customized except for the canister which will be some new one i can find for cheap, the clutch im getting one that was used in just one race and my mechanic took it out cuz he immediatly got his double plate clutch (bastard), so on so on.

machining the flywheel shouldnt cost more than $40, its costing me only $35. a clutch kit from ACT or SPEC (includes pressure plate and disc, TO bearing and the other bearing with alignment tool) costs a maximum of around $330 (which is great and u can get them for cheaper). a brand new intake manifold could cost u around $200 or a bit more, and u can just hve the TB bored out for i dont know how much. performance chips can cost from $120 to around $200 or something. headers, some can be a bit expensive.

well the list just keeps going and going, just do a search on google n ull get clear correct answers.

Thanks. Those prices don't sound all that bad. I suppose I could handle those with a great deal of saving...

As well, I was wondering. Are there any exhaust systems out there that aren't so insanely loud? I mean, I don't want to have a car that you can hear from a mile away, because everyone just assumes that I'm a "rice boy" because I drive a Honda with a loud exhaust, but I want to gain the performance of the parts. I know some cars come with silencers you can put in, but that seems like it would restrict airflow, which is counterproductive. Any ideas?

Last edited by Patrick : 07-05-2004 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Another thing to ask.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:34 PM   #8
MrNasty
CF Newbie

Hey bro, I got a 95 Accord w/ the same engine you got. Mine also a stick. Here was I'm thinking of doing to mine, it might help you get some ideas. 1) AEM cold air intake $100 to $150 2) Ceramic headers 3) All new pipes & exhuast system - catalac converter, pipes, muffler/exhuast (cat-back) and 4) a fuel/oxygen sensor which regulats the fuel/oxygen ratio 13 to 14.7:1, $60 to $200.

I dont have all the prices for everything but if you do a googles search you can find almost everything you want and then some. These mods alone should add around 20hp to 30hp under my hood. Then you can do little things like spark plugs and spark plug wiring, carbon fiber products (they have a new trunk out for the accord) hood and trunk, and other little things. Expect to spend around 1000 at least, I'm guessing, for some good mods.
MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 08:03 PM   #9
Inygknok
El del Supra

i honestly wouldnt know about exhaust sound levels. over here in PR we have the tendency of custom making our exhausts (90% of the time its atleast the cat-back system wat we customize and downpipes in turbo'd engines).

but wat i do know is that buddy club makes some really loud exhausts, and dont buy any mufflers from pep boys and such. those arent just noisy, but the sound is also very gay.

greddy sells systems that are rated to be sound legal (dba's are in their legal limits), so i guess one of those would work.

Old 07-06-2004, 03:32 AM   #10
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Greetings, gentry! I have been thinking a lot lately about what I would like to do to my car once I get it (and have some income from a job). I'll have a very limited budget, so if you were thinking of telling me to swap the engine to the tune of $3k, then don't even bother. I know that there is the typical exhaust/intake-type stuff, but are there any brands that you'd recommend? I realize this is going to walk a fine line with advertising, but we'll see how it goes. It's a 1993 Honda Accord LX with the 2.2L four-cylinder engine. It's also a stickshift.

I have the same gen Accord as you (except mine is a 90LX). The f22a engine is pretty worthless to tune. Best bet IS an engine swap. Most likely a $2200 H22a (200hp 161tq). If you want too though you could turbo the f22...it already has a low compression (8.8:1)..but i still wouldnt run any level of boost over 7/8/9psi. Even then the turbo setup will cost you as much as a new h22a and will still yield you with around the same horsepower. Best you save your money and get the h22a.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 07:13 AM   #11
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
I have the same gen Accord as you (except mine is a 90LX). The f22a engine is pretty worthless to tune. Best bet IS an engine swap. Most likely a $2200 H22a (200hp 161tq). If you want too though you could turbo the f22...it already has a low compression (8.8:1)..but i still wouldnt run any level of boost over 7/8/9psi. Even then the turbo setup will cost you as much as a new h22a and will still yield you with around the same horsepower. Best you save your money and get the h22a.

he clearly mentioned not to give him any swap ideas cuz hes on a very limited budget. not just that, he said he wanted just simpler mods.

Old 07-06-2004, 03:36 PM   #12
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
he clearly mentioned not to give him any swap ideas cuz hes on a very limited budget. not just that, he said he wanted just simpler mods.

What's the point? I have the car and doing bolt ons on it increases just mpg more than it does power. 8.8:1 CR isnt fun to work with on small N/A motor. Like I said. If he wants to see any significant increase in power. He needs to save his money and do it the right way. Or he could waste $1k on intake/header/exhaust and go from 125hp to 140hp..or he could save another grand and change and go from 125hp/137tq to 200hp/161tq and have a MUCH better starting point and a completely fresh stock engine that's wholey more advanced than the age old f22. Remember his engine probably has somewhere north of 150k miles on it.

~Blow your mind~

Old 07-06-2004, 09:59 PM   #13
MrNasty
CF Newbie

I got a question:

I have the same gen car as you guys, but mines a 95. If I were to swap out engines, how would my yearly smog test go? Its my understanding that in order to pass smog you must meet reqiurments for the year specified unde your type engine. Wouldnt an engine swap through this off.

PS: I live in cali where all the laws are F*cked up.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:39 PM   #14
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty
I got a question:

I have the same gen car as you guys, but mines a 95. If I were to swap out engines, how would my yearly smog test go? Its my understanding that in order to pass smog you must meet reqiurments for the year specified unde your type engine. Wouldnt an engine swap through this off.

PS: I live in cali where all the laws are F*cked up.

95 isnt a same gen as ours...

90-93 =4th gen
94-97 = 5th gen

Just rememebr to keep with OBDI or OBDII if you swap. I'm not to accurate on california laws so you might ahve to ask someone else.

~Blow your mind~

Old 07-07-2004, 01:01 AM   #15
MrNasty
CF Newbie

Well thanks anyway bor. Your where helpful none the less.

Can you explain what OBDI is though?