Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2004, 11:39 AM   #1
jzxTT
CF Addict

2004 GTO vs. 2004 corvette

I dont know stats on either car. I know the GTO has ~350hp and the corvette has ~400hp. But im really feelin the GTO's style, Its the American supercar . You guys think Its better than the corvette overall?
Old 07-04-2004, 10:11 PM   #2
sash
CF Newbie

No...
Old 07-04-2004, 10:27 PM   #3
archangle
CF Enthusiast

no I dont think it is better in performance but in style,yes
Old 07-05-2004, 03:06 AM   #4
jzxTT
CF Addict

GTO looks real cool but I think its way to much. For 50,000..... sheesh Id rather buy an STi or EVO, and maybe a scion tc. The most Id pay is 35Grand if that. too much
Old 07-05-2004, 04:39 PM   #5
Voda48
CF Lance Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzxTT
GTO looks real cool but I think its way to much. For 50,000..... sheesh Id rather buy an STi or EVO, and maybe a scion tc. The most Id pay is 35Grand if that. too much
I dont know why you would pay $50,000 for GTO, here they are only $33,000. Sounds like your local dealer has quite the mark up
Old 07-05-2004, 05:26 PM   #6
SunDown13X VR4
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voda48
I dont know why you would pay $50,000 for GTO, here they are only $33,000. Sounds like your local dealer has quite the mark up

the gto is a beast... not bad for a 33k car... 5.7 v8 with so much potential. I seen a few vids of them running low 11s and high 10s already with little mods.... thats just sick!

but I love vetts... if I had a choice... I would save up the extra cash... and get one... mmm c5 or even better z06 or maybe that new c6 looks pretty bad ass... looks like a mix between a viper gts-r and a ferrari 360

but really... both are great cars...

Click Here for Mod List
Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 "Turning ordinary people into mechanics since 1991"
"VTEC - All the lag, but without the turbos... Its like waiting for bad sex..." - Sean K./CTECH
SunDown13X VR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 03:54 AM   #7
moostang104314
the guy you wish you were

I wouldn't say there was too much a difference between the GTO and Vette, except a few extra seats and different styling. Personally, I would get the GTO because its a "modern muscle car" and it's a lot cheaper. The C5's style is outdated and I don't care too much for the new C6.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:11 PM   #8
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
I dont know stats on either car. I know the GTO has ~350hp and the corvette has ~400hp. But im really feelin the GTO's style, Its the American supercar . You guys think Its better than the corvette overall?

Both a base C5 or Z06 would OWN a GTO. In ANY race.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 07:50 PM   #9
Patrick
CF Addict

Location: Louisville, KY. We don't wear shoes, and it would be a shame to see someone with a full set of teeth.
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voda48

Agreed. I think they have their numbers switched around. The Corvette's MSRP is around $48,000 if memory serves. GTO is only going to set you back about $30,000. And, personally, I think this is a bit of an unfair fight. If you are going to compare the cars, then at least give the GTO a chance and have it represented by its Lingenfelter GTO counterpart. Lingenfelter offers a few configurations for the GTO, and one of them boosts the GTO to 535 horses for another $21,000. That puts the GTO and the Corvette Z06 at the same price for equal performance. Motor Trend, in their August 2004 issue, did a test of one of the packages. They tested the base package, which for $6900 carried the goat to 450 horsepower, and clipped one second off of 0-60 and 1/4 mile times (4.3, 12.6@ 113.5, respectively) The 0-60 time is equal to a Z06, and the other packages (a supercharger good for 130 ponies at $9500, or the afore-mentioned package raking in 535hp for $20k.) are guaranteed to yield even better times. So, for the same price as the Z06, you are getting a fresh car that you aren't likely to see whenever you turn onto another block. Maybe I'm a mean person, but there are just too many Corvettes. Like I said in a similar post- same price, same (if not better) times, and a car you aren't likely to see at every stop light- dare to be different, folks.

"Treat man as he is, and he will remain as he is. Treat a man as he could be, and he will become what he should be." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"A man's health can be measured by which he takes two at a time-- pills or stairs." ~ Joan Welsh
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 07:57 PM   #10
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Agreed. I think they have their numbers switched around. The Corvette's MSRP is around $48,000 if memory serves. GTO is only going to set you back about $30,000. And, personally, I think this is a bit of an unfair fight. If you are going to compare the cars, then at least give the GTO a chance and have it represented by its Lingenfelter GTO counterpart. Lingenfelter offers a few configurations for the GTO, and one of them boosts the GTO to 535 horses for another $21,000. That puts the GTO and the Corvette Z06 at the same price for equal performance. Motor Trend, in their August 2004 issue, did a test of one of the packages. They tested the base package, which for $6900 carried the goat to 450 horsepower, and clipped one second off of 0-60 and 1/4 mile times (4.3, 12.6@ 113.5, respectively) The 0-60 time is equal to a Z06, and the other packages (a supercharger good for 130 ponies at $9500, or the afore-mentioned package raking in 535hp for $20k.) are guaranteed to yield even better times. So, for the same price as the Z06, you are getting a fresh car that you aren't likely to see whenever you turn onto another block. Maybe I'm a mean person, but there are just too many Corvettes. Like I said in a similar post- same price, same (if not better) times, and a car you aren't likely to see at every stop light- dare to be different, folks.

Right now though you will pay around msrp for a GTO...but for a vette, oh no. They are selling base C5's here for $38k.

~Blow your mind~

Old 07-07-2004, 06:15 PM   #11
Patrick
CF Addict

Location: Louisville, KY. We don't wear shoes, and it would be a shame to see someone with a full set of teeth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
Right now though you will pay around msrp for a GTO...but for a vette, oh no. They are selling base C5's here for $38k.

Hmmm how much for Z06's? That surprises me. Those are the prices we get for pre-owned base C5's.

"Treat man as he is, and he will remain as he is. Treat a man as he could be, and he will become what he should be." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"A man's health can be measured by which he takes two at a time-- pills or stairs." ~ Joan Welsh
Old 07-07-2004, 11:47 PM   #12
jzxTT
CF Addict

Quote:
Both a base C5 or Z06 would OWN a GTO. In ANY race.
dont get me wrong corvettes are MONSTERS. They're like the american skyline. But the new GTO's are fast enough for me, and have more room for people. The vette is played out IMO time for something new. GTO
Old 07-08-2004, 03:48 PM   #13
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Hmmm how much for Z06's? That surprises me. Those are the prices we get for pre-owned base C5's.

You are getting ripped then. Right now ALL the domestic brands are having massive discounts on their cars (Mopar more than anyone). The C5/Z06 more so because GM is trying to get them off lot for the new C6. If you want proof, come to any local Atlanta GM dealer and price a brand new C5. Last I checked the Z06 was around the mid-high 40s brand new.

~Blow your mind~

Old 07-08-2004, 03:49 PM   #14
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
dont get me wrong corvettes are MONSTERS. They're like the american skyline. But the new GTO's are fast enough for me, and have more room for people. The vette is played out IMO time for something new. GTO

That's the thing, The GTO is nothing new. It's just an Australian sports car with a replaced gas tank.

~Blow your mind~

Old 07-08-2004, 05:10 PM   #15
Patrick
CF Addict

Angry

Quote:
That's the thing, The GTO is nothing new. It's just an Australian sports car with a replaced gas tank.

Yes, well, it is new to all of us on the other 5 (technically six, but I don't feel like this forum has much of a constituency in Antarctica) continents. It may not be "New", per say, but it is certainly fresh, and by no means a dated car, like Pontiac's counterpart, the Sunfire, which has been the same car for essentially 10 years now. So unless you live in Australia, which you don't, please. Don't tell us that it's not new. Because it is.