Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2003, 02:04 AM   #1
linda lou

One dead Cylinder - 99 Buick Regal

The 4th cylinder has no compression. What repair costs am looking at to have this fixed ??? It could be a piston or valve replacement but what is the ballpark for ripping the car apart to find out what the problem is?? The car has 130,000 miles and has run great until now. Thank for the help!
Old 03-21-2003, 03:03 AM   #2
lemans69

do it yourself

you should do it yourself in case something happens like that again.but i think that it should cost about 800 if you paid someone.it all depends where you live and who you take it to.but just to make it easier and cheaper you should rip it apart and see what is wrong it should't be that hard.and have a friend or someone that you know that is really good with cars take a look at it.maybe the spark plug is just fouled.
Old 03-21-2003, 04:44 AM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: do it yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans69
you should do it yourself in case something happens like that again.but i think that it should cost about 800 if you paid someone.it all depends where you live and who you take it to.but just to make it easier and cheaper you should rip it apart and see what is wrong it should't be that hard.and have a friend or someone that you know that is really good with cars take a look at it.maybe the spark plug is just fouled.

Gee, a fouled sparkplug causing no compression. I'll have to remember that when I go to work tomorrow. Genius!

It's hard to make a call on what it will cost. It could be as simple as a burnt valve. I've seen 3.8's with the plastic intake cracked and leaking (common) and enough water get into the cylinder to put a hole in the piston and bend the rod (not so common). Bottom line is you need a competent technician to dive in and make the call. Good luck!

Oh yeah. Unless you intend to do the whole job yourself, don't "rip it apart and see what's wrong". Most shops shy away from jobs like that because alot of diagnosis comes from what you see as it comes apart.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 02:33 PM   #4
linda lou

Me??? Rip the car apart????

That is a scary thought! I am hanging by a thread just trying to explain this clearly! I don't believe it is the spark plugs because he replaced them all during the ture up. I quess, I will have to have them rip the entire engine apart. The repairman stated I can still drive it but it feels like I will damage it more. The car is knocking and has very little power. Can I ruin the engine if I drive it more than 10 -15 miles to the next repair shop? Thanks for the help!
Old 03-21-2003, 02:39 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: Me??? Rip the car apart????

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda lou
That is a scary thought! I am hanging by a thread just trying to explain this clearly! I don't believe it is the spark plugs because he replaced them all during the ture up. I quess, I will have to have them rip the entire engine apart. The repairman stated I can still drive it but it feels like I will damage it more. The car is knocking and has very little power. Can I ruin the engine if I drive it more than 10 -15 miles to the next repair shop? Thanks for the help!

Simply put if you have a cylinder with no compression and it is knocking DO NOT DRIVE OR START THE CAR. You can very possibly turn a simple top end job into a complete rebuild. If you don't believe that, come on over to my shop and I'll be happy to show the 3.8 I pulled last week with the same basic symptoms. The block is well ventilated by the rod that went through the block.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 03-21-2003, 03:05 PM   #6
linda lou

Thank you for the advice! I will call the tow man when I have saved up a small fortune to it fixed! I know what a thrown rod does... Had one happen to my moms old buick century in college. (needless to say, I didn't know any better and kept driving until it blew up! Had to take it to the junk yard! This is the 3rd buick I have owned and has been a great car. I really want to keep it as long as possible.
Old 03-23-2003, 01:40 AM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda lou
Thank you for the advice! I will call the tow man when I have saved up a small fortune to it fixed! I know what a thrown rod does... Had one happen to my moms old buick century in college. (needless to say, I didn't know any better and kept driving until it blew up! Had to take it to the junk yard! This is the 3rd buick I have owned and has been a great car. I really want to keep it as long as possible.

Glad I could help. That'll be $75. 8)

Old 03-23-2003, 09:16 PM   #8
bLen
CF Newbie

, annd they you will hand the moneey over to me because im just so cool 8) lol
Old 03-23-2003, 10:53 PM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bLen
, annd they you will hand the moneey over to me because im just so cool 8) lol

Cool no, jackass yes!

P.S. Learn to spell.

Old 03-24-2003, 02:05 PM   #10
bLen
CF Newbie

dood do you have a problem or something
Old 03-24-2003, 02:32 PM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bLen
dood do you have a problem or something

No, I don't, you do. Your village is calling, they miss their idiot.

Old 03-24-2003, 11:31 PM   #12
bLen
CF Newbie

nah theyre not missing him..im pretty much at home
Old 03-25-2003, 02:26 AM   #13
JU5TIN
CF Newbie

LMAO, don't clog a page about something important like repairs with usless crap like give me the money, please.
Old 03-25-2003, 02:51 AM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU5TIN
LMAO, don't clog a page about something important like repairs with usless crap like give me the money, please.

Justin, you are absolutely correct, I apologize for stooping to that level. My only defense is that I did accurately answer the original question. Mea culpa maxima.

Old 03-25-2003, 02:56 AM   #15
JU5TIN
CF Newbie

Ye, you helped they guy out, just wondering, are u a mechanic or something like that?