Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2004, 05:46 AM   #1
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

The power of a R32 GTR engine

How much power could you get out of a R32 GTR engine (RB20DETT)?
GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 06:39 AM   #2
Unlicensed
CF Enthusiast

um? I'm confused! (not uncommon though) gtr is not the rb20dett, its the rb26dett. i aint sure if you mean gts-t r32 (rb20det), or the gtr (rb26dett)?

If you really mean the gtr? then your looking at amazing potential from standard block. 480kw+
Unlicensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 08:47 AM   #3
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

Well, if you put a turbo the size of a washing machine on it, you could probably get more than enough power to snap your transmission. Wanna be a little more specific?
Old 07-09-2004, 01:23 PM   #4
Inygknok
El del Supra

yup

R32 GTS-T = RWD, RB20DET (still a great engine and can be modified easily)

R32 GT-R = AWD, RB26DETT (the newer rb26's are the same, only minor upgrades were done for efficiency and emissions).

the power u can get out of all the RB's is phenomenal, but the tranny will start giving in. like the others said, u need to specify some more.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 12:25 AM   #5
jzxTT
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekWarrior
How much power could you get out of a R32 GTR engine (RB20DETT)?
More than enough. Unless you plan on buying one it wouldnt matter would it?
Old 07-10-2004, 02:50 AM   #6
Inygknok
El del Supra

btw, the RB20DETT does NOT exist, i repeat, it does NOT exist. there is only the RB20DET in stock trim, the TT is aftermarket stuff

Old 07-10-2004, 05:35 AM   #7
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind

Okay, if you are talking about the RB26DETT, the sky is the limit if you have that much money. The RB26DETT in the R34 GTR V-Spec II skyline can get over 1000hp, but with ALOT of money. And, yes the tranny would die on you pretty easily. I'm just quoting the others, haha. Anyways, HP does not matter, cause there are alot of other factors you have to think about. Like how the HP is transfered to the wheels. The skyline has evolved alot since the R32, so you cant compare, the R33 and R34 is equipped with different types of LSD's i think. And the ATTESA system, so if you are planning to go above 600hp, i would advise alot of non-hp increasing upgrades, like cam-shafts, flywheels, etc, etc.

--2004 Acura TL Dynamic--
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 08:15 AM   #8
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerith
Okay, if you are talking about the RB26DETT, the sky is the limit if you have that much money. The RB26DETT in the R34 GTR V-Spec II skyline can get over 1000hp, but with ALOT of money. And, yes the tranny would die on you pretty easily. I'm just quoting the others, haha. Anyways, HP does not matter, cause there are alot of other factors you have to think about. Like how the HP is transfered to the wheels. The skyline has evolved alot since the R32, so you cant compare, the R33 and R34 is equipped with different types of LSD's i think. And the ATTESA system, so if you are planning to go above 600hp, i would advise alot of non-hp increasing upgrades, like cam-shafts, flywheels, etc, etc.

actually, the r32, r33, and r34 ALL came with the ATTESA-ETS system. in fact, it was the R32 that first came out with a V-Spec II model, in 1990 or 91 i believe (cant remember exactly). also, the first R33 GT-R came with an RB25DETT engine which has just a little bit less potential than its bigger brother. it was a bit later that the R33 was equipped with the RB26DETT (i have no idea why nissan even lowered the displacement just to increase it again, n i think it was one year after the R33 model was released).

all 3 engines hold alot of potential, u can even use the bigger 2 crankshafts in the RB20 and their pistons and connecting rods if u want in order to increase displacement to around 2.4L.

Old 07-10-2004, 10:45 AM   #9
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

Thanks guys and i did mean RB26DETT, sorry
GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 11:56 AM   #10
jzxTT
CF Addict

theres a guy sellin an RB fo 1000. www.craigslist.com search for a 240sx in the south bay. Though someone might wanna check that out.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:05 PM   #11
Inygknok
El del Supra

hm, u can actually get RB's quite frequently nowadays on various JDM importing shops. they r such a common swap now for 240SXs that shops are starting to order quite a bit of them, specially the rb20's.