Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2005, 09:47 PM   #1
Nupper
CF Newbie

16 with my T-Bird

I just turned 16 and i bought a 1965 Thunderbird...man is she a looker. I love the old cars but i really wanted something lighter and faster...but i got what i could afford, well it was a great deal and i couldn't pass it up. The body is in great condition, beautiful paint on it. We are in the process of fixing a little electrical and new tires and rims... But i want something to make it stand out. I dont know what but i want something. It sounds great, getting a new muffler for some sound. But i dont know what to do, i want it to stand out and people to look at it and be like, "wow", which i am sure many do now, even i do.
Nupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 11:09 PM   #2
DPelletier
CF Newbie

Congratulations on having a nice classic. I think you'll find that people will be more impressed with the car in stock (or stock appearing) condition. I know you want to make the car stand out and my suggestion is to keep from making any modifications that would be costly to remove later. Tires and rims can really change the look of any car (my suggestion is to look at spoked wheels) and they can be changed back easily. Remember to keep any original components you remove.

Dave
Old 04-15-2005, 03:12 AM   #3
The_Wheelman
CF Newbie

DPelletier's advice is good. Keeping it stock will attract attention.
The_Wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 03:34 AM   #4
corbett_auto
CF Addict

Standing out in a crowd is like when everyone is laughing, or they laughing with you or at you. Sometimes there is a fine line between the two, and the more you make it stand out the finer the line becomes.

Stock is good advice, but custom touches can really add a little needed pizzazz. The best advice I can give is to think before you act. Try drawing it out on paper or using Photoshop.

Good luck and never be afraid to ask for advice, but in the end itís your car, enjoy it.

My
Old 04-15-2005, 03:50 AM   #5
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Doesn't have to be totally stock, but just make the mods subtle, understated and sleek

Don't go for massive wings and bodykit etc etc.. Keep the lines of the car and just fine tune the looks. dark windows and wheels change the look of the car without changing the shape.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:15 PM   #6
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Absolutely wonderful lines on that car. there are a lot of stockers out there still in great condition. If you want to restore it, that means a lot of resources to draw from (and most parts are available easily.)

http://www.1965thunderbird.com/mainpage.htm

Of course, if you want to resto-mod it, there's a lot you can do that way, too. Whatever you do, build it like YOU will be happy with. Don't worry about resale value, just have fun. This is a hobby, and it's supposed to be fun.

Here are some ideas....

This is a '62, but you can still get ideas:

Same for this '63:

You could two tone it like this Buick:

And check out some of the rides here for good ideas:

http://www.customrodder.com/features/

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote