Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2004, 04:15 PM   #1
s13_Drifter
CF Newbie

new import fighter?

Recently Iv'e been reading in a few magazines, HCI and Sport compact car, that chevy is going to do away with its cavalier and bring in a supercharged 2.2ltr Ecotech, dubbed the Cobalt. I don't know where chevy plans to go with this, but its pumpin' about 220hp and the front wheels. I know its a domestic, but its seems to be an upcoming force to be reckoned with.

Old 07-08-2004, 04:32 PM   #2
zipper
CF Newbie

Shouldn't this be in the Domestic section, although it is an "import killer". Chevy says the Cobalt SS Supercharged Coupe will have 205bhp ECOTEC Supercharged engine.

It looks nice but I don't know if it can actually "kill" any imports. We'll find out if Chevy can repair the damage that the Aveo left on me. (I know it's an econo car but sooo ugly!)
Old 07-08-2004, 04:57 PM   #3
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13_Drifter
Recently Iv'e been reading in a few magazines, HCI and Sport compact car, that chevy is going to do away with its cavalier and bring in a supercharged 2.2ltr Ecotech, dubbed the Cobalt. I don't know where chevy plans to go with this, but its pumpin' about 220hp and the front wheels. I know its a domestic, but its seems to be an upcoming force to be reckoned with.

It's definatley a step forward for GM in the econo-car market. God knows they need with the crap they put-out right now. It looks like they stole a little bit of the RSX's design cues. Like the above post says. The Cobalt SS will have 205 hp not 220hp. Still would MUCH rather have a '05 RSX-S. Base engine on the Cobalt is the same 140hp engine on the current cavvy and will offer a 170hp version of the Ecotec too. Seems like another 'we cant get enough power out of our engine so we're going to supercharge it' scheme. RSX has all of 2.0L and in top form has 220hp N/A. Will the Cobalt be an Import killer? No. Will it have more appeal than the Cavalier? Yes. If there is one thing GM can't compete with Honda/Toyota on. It's quality and reliability. That plays a BIG factor in the econo-market.

~Blow your mind~

Last edited by thunderbird1100 : 07-08-2004 at 05:00 PM.
thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 01:38 AM   #4
Dustin
CF Newbie

Exclamation Wow

Well, i guess they know what their doing... yet they sure sold alot of cavaliers. Each year that car gets redone, and they sell even more. Good cars they are...... The supercharged 2.2ltr Ecotech does looks spiffy !!!!!
Old 07-11-2004, 01:46 AM   #5
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin
Well, i guess they know what their doing... yet they sure sold alot of cavaliers. Each year that car gets redone, and they sell even more. Good cars they are...... The supercharged 2.2ltr Ecotech does looks spiffy !!!!!

Just because something sells doesn't mean it's good. Compare any Cavalier's interior to a Civic EX. It's just a complete joke. One of my friends has one of those sporty top of the line two door cavalier's. Think it's called the LS sport or something (has the chrome wheels). It has the interior that reminds me of of a 1992 Civic LX. They 'redesign' it every year? Not really, the Cavalier has remained mostly the same look for almost a decade now. If you call the 'new' taillight changed 2004 Cavalier redesigned, you have low standards. Luckily this heap is going out and the Cobalt is coming in. Which looks to have a decent interior. Definatley an EXCELLENT interior coming from GM.

~Blow your mind~

Old 07-11-2004, 02:13 AM   #6
Lukaz
CF-Mitsucolt

Dont get me wrong its nice.. its just look at the two pictures .. there are slight diffrences but there just so similar

Mitsubishi Mirage 1.6i 16V GLX - My New lil runner this year
Lukaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 05:32 AM   #7
s13_Drifter
CF Newbie

Definetly the USDM RSX knock-off
Old 07-11-2004, 04:29 PM   #8
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukaz

Dont get me wrong its nice.. its just look at the two pictures .. there are slight diffrences but there just so similar

I've always said that they look exactly the same from the side profile. Seems like GM is taking a lot of things from Honda. First the J35 engine for the Saturn Vue Redline and now the looks of the RSX! What's next? GM drops its subpar monte carlo/impala in favor of an Accord look-alike with the Accord's j30 v6 power to boot?

~Blow your mind~

Old 07-12-2004, 06:05 PM   #9
Patrick
CF Addict

Location: Louisville, KY. We don't wear shoes, and it would be a shame to see someone with a full set of teeth.
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
I've always said that they look exactly the same from the side profile. Seems like GM is taking a lot of things from Honda. First the J35 engine for the Saturn Vue Redline and now the looks of the RSX! What's next? GM drops its subpar monte carlo/impala in favor of an Accord look-alike with the Accord's j30 v6 power to boot?

Sounds good to me... GM would finally be hailing Honda as the great company they are.

"Treat man as he is, and he will remain as he is. Treat a man as he could be, and he will become what he should be." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"A man's health can be measured by which he takes two at a time-- pills or stairs." ~ Joan Welsh
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 02:28 AM   #10
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
Will the Cobalt be an Import killer? No. Will it have more appeal than the Cavalier? Yes. If there is one thing GM can't compete with Honda/Toyota on.

This statement urges me a bit. You speak on behalf of a car that has yet even to make its debut. Sure the specs and pictures show pleasing promises, but for you to hands down say that this will NOT be an import killer is pure(excuse me for saying) bullshit. No one single man, whom is yet to even drive or look at the car in phsyical form can make such a judgment. Unless you're a production manager at GM, and if you are I'll fully retract my words.

I won't even begin to base my words on performance aspects of the car. From looking at the options available for the car, I think this new Cobalt has more than just import killing under its belt. This may very well be the american Civic. So I'll break it down for yah (because everyone does'nt buy cars to race them) The cobalt comes in a Base/LS/LT/and SS trim. On top of the options available in wheel selection(because everyone loves big wheels), this car has a 7 speaker Pioneer sound system with a Delco head unit. Not to mention the LT and SS come with leather interior seats.

Aside from the luxurious aspects of the car, it has a sporty appeal inside the cabin and outside on the exterior. The car comes with a selction of a 145HP 2.2L DOHC engine(sounds like a gas saver), or if you want a lil bang for the buck a higher output 2.4L DOHC engine. It sounds to me that that Chevy has been planing to create this car for a while, and I can't wait till one comes out. The stats say sport tuned, or soft suspension, but I gotta drive one of these bad boys for myself. Not to mention it has a F/I'ed version, and if you think that a Supercharged 2.0L DOHC could'nt competively "kill" an import car in its respective FWD class(if the car is FWD) you should probably do some rethinking or researching.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...

Last edited by DSMer : 07-13-2004 at 02:31 AM.
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 03:47 PM   #11
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
This statement urges me a bit. You speak on behalf of a car that has yet even to make its debut. Sure the specs and pictures show pleasing promises, but for you to hands down say that this will NOT be an import killer is pure(excuse me for saying) bullshit. No one single man, whom is yet to even drive or look at the car in phsyical form can make such a judgment. Unless you're a production manager at GM, and if you are I'll fully retract my words.

I won't even begin to base my words on performance aspects of the car. From looking at the options available for the car, I think this new Cobalt has more than just import killing under its belt. This may very well be the american Civic. So I'll break it down for yah (because everyone does'nt buy cars to race them) The cobalt comes in a Base/LS/LT/and SS trim. On top of the options available in wheel selection(because everyone loves big wheels), this car has a 7 speaker Pioneer sound system with a Delco head unit. Not to mention the LT and SS come with leather interior seats.

Aside from the luxurious aspects of the car, it has a sporty appeal inside the cabin and outside on the exterior. The car comes with a selction of a 145HP 2.2L DOHC engine(sounds like a gas saver), or if you want a lil bang for the buck a higher output 2.4L DOHC engine. It sounds to me that that Chevy has been planing to create this car for a while, and I can't wait till one comes out. The stats say sport tuned, or soft suspension, but I gotta drive one of these bad boys for myself. Not to mention it has a F/I'ed version, and if you think that a Supercharged 2.0L DOHC could'nt competively "kill" an import car in its respective FWD class(if the car is FWD) you should probably do some rethinking or researching.

So you're saying ALL the Civic and Corolla buyers will suddenly stop buying those and switch over to the Cobalt? Be realistic. Honda/Toyota has a big backing on customers. My family has owned many Hondas based on their build quality and rock-solid reliability. People won't suddenly stop buying those cars and switch over to the Cobalt just because it has bigger wheels and a new ecotec with 170hp in the upper model. People buy Civics for fuel economy, value, quality and reliability. You think that the car that maybe 'offers' the most would sell the best. Then why is it not true now with the Cavalier? It offers the biggest wheels (chrome too), one of the best stock sound systems (in the upper model), and has the most standard power (140hp). Those seem to be your main selling points but don't realize the Cobalt has just a little mroe power, maybe a little bit better speaker system and 1" bigger wheels. People buy econo's for none of those. They want rock-solid reliability and great fuel economy. That's why that will only affect such a small demographic (kids 16-19 so on) who don't even buy those cars but rather their parents who have the final say-so.

Re-think some of your selling points in the econo-market and get with me.

The Cobalt SS still won't be very competitive with the new '05 RSX-S...the RSX-S has it outpowered with a same sized engine but isnt supercharged (215hp..oh and did I mention GM stole all the design cues of the RSX?). That's one thing I can't understand. If the ecotec is SUCH a great engine. How come the only way they can extract power out of it is through forced induction? Reminds me of GM 3.8 zealots. Handling will be the RSX-S most likely by far. Since right now the RSX-S handles as one of the best FWD'ers out there and is getting IMPROVED for '05. You speak about speaker systems like manufacturers do. More speakers doesn't mean better. Plus the way they count speaker systems is by counting the woofer and tweeter separatley. It probably has four mid-sized woofers with two tweeters and one bigger woofer the way they get to '7' I would suppose. Probably still sounds like crap compared to what I'm used too. Well most stock sound systems are just cardboard cones with 20w power handling and 5oz. magnets. Only sound system that ever impressed me was the new TL's ELS system. Which is crystal clear sounds. The Cobalt is a BIG quantum leap forward for GM (one of the few as of late), but still won't be a Civic and Corolla sales killer.

~Blow your mind~

Old 07-13-2004, 04:40 PM   #12
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

DSMer...i'd have to agree with you...he's ripping the hell out of a car that hasn't even made it to production yet...he's just a....

POST-WHORING, NARROW MINDED, DOUCHEBAG KID

i think he just likes to screw with people so that way he can get more posts in.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 04:46 PM   #13
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick88Tbird
DSMer...i'd have to agree with you...he's ripping the hell out of a car that hasn't even made it to production yet...he's just a....

POST-WHORING, NARROW MINDED, DOUCHEBAG KID

i think he just likes to screw with people so that way he can get more posts in.
And the survey says :

~Blow your mind~

Old 07-14-2004, 01:32 AM   #14
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

congratulations, you've proven the post-whoring/douchebag part of my theory correct. if you want to rip on domestics, do it in your precious import section...or better yet, go find a douchebag sh!t-talkin forum to join.....sounds like Edmunds is the place for you.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 03:54 AM   #15
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

So you're saying ALL the Civic and Corolla buyers will suddenly stop buying those and switch over to the Cobalt? Be realistic.
No thats what you're saying.

Honda/Toyota has a big backing on customers.
So does GM/Chevrolet. Honda/Toyota is'nt the only car company in the world that has "backing".

My family has owned many Hondas based on their build quality and rock-solid reliability. People won't suddenly stop buying those cars and switch over to the Cobalt just because it has bigger wheels and a new ecotec with 170hp in the upper model.
No but people will buy the car for those reasons. This reply is beginning to seem futile, as the whole meaning of my previous post has went completley over your head.

People buy Civics for fuel economy, value, quality and reliability.
Also some people buy Civics because they have good features. Some people by Civics to street race them. Not everyone solely cares about fuel ecnomy.

You think that the car that maybe 'offers' the most would sell the best. Then why is it not true now with the Cavalier? It offers the biggest wheels (chrome too), one of the best stock sound systems (in the upper model), and has the most standard power (140hp).
You seem to have a vague to grim interpretation of how cars are marketed in the world today. Car companys advertise wheels, horsepower, and sound systems because more to offer sells. Sure low fuel economy helps, but thats only one of the many main points. You think Civic would still be selling in the masses if it came only with manual windows, hubcaps, and cloth interiors? Probably not. In that case people would go to the Accord because it has more to offer. The average car buyer will sacrafice a little fuel economy for comfort and performance.

Those seem to be your main selling points but don't realize the Cobalt has just a little mroe power, maybe a little bit better speaker system and 1" bigger wheels. People buy econo's for none of those. They want rock-solid reliability and great fuel economy.Re-think some of your selling points in the econo-market and get with me.
Again you are under the impression that someone who wants to save money on gas will instantly buy a car that has the lowest MPG. Not true, if such a thing were true, then everyone looking for an econo box would buy a hyrbid. Its not only cheaper in the long run(possibly short term), but it offers similar reliability, but no they buy the Civic.Why? Because the Civic has more to offer. People don't buy cars based solely on MPG and reliablity(because most people will undoubtely sell the car in 5 years). Don't you think if Honda knew that the sole and only reason people bought the Civic was for mpg and reliability, they would downgrade the engine and cabin features? Or no maybe that was something the genious engineers and marketers at Honda missed but you caught....Yeah Right..

That's why that will only affect such a small demographic (kids 16-19 so on) who don't even buy those cars but rather their parents who have the final say-so.
??? WTF?

The Cobalt SS still won't be very competitive with the new '05 RSX-S...the RSX-S has it outpowered with a same sized engine but isnt supercharged (215hp..oh and did I mention GM stole all the design cues of the RSX?).
I suppose you know this because you road tested the car. Who cares that they stole the engine? Big Whoop, not like it aint been done before. I suggest you leave the competitive results to the experts. Your opinion matters not in this category. You've never seen the car perform let alone have a marginal ammount of knowledge about the car to even begin to base "facts" that the RSX-S will competively outpower the Cobalt SS

That's one thing I can't understand. If the ecotec is SUCH a great engine. How come the only way they can extract power out of it is through forced induction? Reminds me of GM 3.8 zealots. Handling will be the RSX-S most likely by far. Since right now the RSX-S handles as one of the best FWD'ers out there and is getting IMPROVED for '05.

You speak about speaker systems like manufacturers do. More speakers doesn't mean better. Plus the way they count speaker systems is by counting the woofer and tweeter separatley. It probably has four mid-sized woofers with two tweeters and one bigger woofer the way they get to '7' I would suppose.
Well thats just what you "suppose".

Probably still sounds like crap compared to what I'm used too. Well most stock sound systems are just cardboard cones with 20w power handling and 5oz. magnets. Only sound system that ever impressed me was the new TL's ELS system. Which is crystal clear sounds.
Haha, thats because you don't anything to compare to, and if you think Acura has the best sounds.. Ahh screw it. I can obviously tell you have meager experience in the vast area of car audio so I won't even begin to step there..

The Cobalt is a BIG quantum leap forward for GM (one of the few as of late), but still won't be a Civic and Corolla sales killer
Hmm, I wonder how you squeezed Corolla in there... Again I should'nt have even posted because my original intetions obviously went over your head if you think I was somehow inferring that the Cobalt will kill Honda Civics in sales.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote