Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2004, 12:08 PM   #1
jzxTT
CF Addict

Now What¿

Patience is a vurtue I dont have, so I've decided to buy either an rx-7 (G3), Mr-2 (90's), *Call me a hipacrit * 3000GT (94+), supra (93+), S14, Eclipse (95-99), Or integra type-R........ Im thinkin rx-7 or MR2, I dont know much about the eclipse or the MR2's. Is it really worth the wait for an EVO or STi?? Dont get me wrong the integra is reliable but I really need a car with balls. What you guys think?
Old 07-10-2004, 12:55 PM   #2
Inygknok
El del Supra

since ur siding more with the rx7 and mr2, ill discard the rest.

ill say mr2, mainly cuz u will have problems with the rotary plant. ive done some research on those cars and have found wat mods they require and such.

they take a few bucks to modify, but not that much tbh, but they are definately worth it. the FD looks better, but the MR2 isnt a bad looking car at all (not to mention my favorite feature, a t-top).

GO TOYOTA! :P

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 04:44 PM   #3
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzxTT
Patience is a vurtue I dont have, so I've decided to buy either an rx-7 (G3), Mr-2 (90's), *Call me a hipacrit * 3000GT (94+), supra (93+), S14, Eclipse (95-99), Or integra type-R........ Im thinkin rx-7 or MR2, I dont know much about the eclipse or the MR2's. Is it really worth the wait for an EVO or STi?? Dont get me wrong the integra is reliable but I really need a car with balls. What you guys think?
If you want the best overall car and don't care about reliability go for the FC or FD turbo Rx-7. If you want a good car with good reliability get the MR-2.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 05:35 PM   #4
Damien
CF Newbie

Not too offend anyone but if you guys dont know anything about a car, dont comment. Knowledge based on hear-say just wount cut it. Unless you know of another sports car that can hit 150MPH on a daily basis redlines at 7500RPM , 12000 with porting, and can be bought for under $2000. Please inform me : ) RX7 are probally one of the most reliable sports cars out there, it all depends on how it was maintained. Its true that the first gens (FB's) were flawed and would blow seals like nobodys business. Most of the problems were solved in the 2nd gens (FC's). If youre intimadated by all the crap being thrown around by people that obviously dont know what they are talking about. Do some research on your own. If money is no object to you and you still like Rx7's then lookin into pettie racing banzai edition car its cost $50 000, it has 550HP, 460Lb torque 3 rotor, 2.0L twin turbo. btw it does 0-60 in 3.1 secs : )

anyways thats my 2 cents.....like i said above, this is not too offend anyone on here, but it seems like everyone on here are millionairs and have skylines as their beater cars..
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 06:04 PM   #5
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien
Not too offend anyone but if you guys dont know anything about a car, dont comment. Knowledge based on hear-say just wount cut it. Unless you know of another sports car that can hit 150MPH on a daily basis redlines at 7500RPM , 12000 with porting, and can be bought for under $2000. Please inform me : ) RX7 are probally one of the most reliable sports cars out there, it all depends on how it was maintained. Its true that the first gens (FB's) were flawed and would blow seals like nobodys business. Most of the problems were solved in the 2nd gens (FC's). If youre intimadated by all the crap being thrown around by people that obviously dont know what they are talking about. Do some research on your own. If money is no object to you and you still like Rx7's then lookin into pettie racing banzai edition car its cost $50 000, it has 550HP, 460Lb torque 3 rotor, 2.0L twin turbo. btw it does 0-60 in 3.1 secs : )

anyways thats my 2 cents.....like i said above, this is not too offend anyone on here, but it seems like everyone on here are millionairs and have skylines as their beater cars..

is it me, or does everyone agree that this guy talks out of pure anal ignorance?

$50,000 for a damn FD? it better be carbon-fibre everywhere and have DVD's for that price.

also, for a 20B, 550hp is nuthin, thats the area where the 13B starts reaching its limits (unless u really push the engine really hard which wont last at all).

also buddy, about 7,500rpms, even an SR20DET can do that all day long. the MR-2? damn right it can do so as well, and oh, wait, its an iron block, which means u know it will resist a whole lotta crap u throw at it and leave it stock (classic american muscle cars anyone?).

also, the first RX to have ever really reached a level where it doesnt break down as much is the RX-8. the FC has cast iron seals that wear down the housing and eventually the rotors just float around.

also, EVERY SINGLE DAMN rotary engine owner has a spare engine on the side, just like the DSM owners, but even 2g DSMs outlast rotaries.

u know about the ceramic seals created by Franchesco Ianatti? sure, those can withstand high revs and nice levels of temperatures, but once they blow, its bye bye engine. ceramic shreds like the plates ur mom tells u to wash if u let them fall to the floor.

those hurley seals? they dont wear out the rotor as badly as the rest, but they dont last as long either.

aluminum filled carbon ones? just try using them on a turbo or nitrous car.

as for cast iron, well, its the best one in terms of the all-around resistant one, but it still wears down the rotor and they can score it if u abuse them.

u can ask any rotary engine owner about their info, and none of them will tell ya "just go buy stephan papadakis's special RX-7, it can whoop out less HP than u can actually make with the car and costs 3 times as much! and it doesnt even have a DVD!"

dont flatter urself. even i admit that Supras suck when it comes to terms of head gaskets and some serious stock cooling system problems. if u think we are all rich bastards, well, some of us work really damn hard for wat we have, i know i do. i dont have a dad and my mom is retired, and many of the other guys around here have had many cars cuz they have gotten far into their ages and have had to work really damn hard all of their lives.

twin turbo 20B putting out those numbers? try that with a single turbo 2JZ engine and leave the bottom end bone stock, in fact, just throw in an MHG with ARP headware since i can sure as bet that 20B has been prepped. that will make things fair. in fact, u want something even? 2G DSM putting out the same numbers, NOW we're even. both will break down rather soon, but i know the DSM will last longer.

Old 07-10-2004, 11:27 PM   #6
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien

My girlfriend's FD 94 Touring RX-7 just blew an apex seal the other day @ 92k miles. They are unreliable. Again i'll say this. My local shop has gone through 3 13bt-rew's in their race Datsun with apex seal issues (2mm and 3mm). These are mechanics we are talking about. They know how to maintain things more than anyone else. It's a common problem on all past rotary engines that are turbo induced. I was going to once buy a FC turbo 92 RX-7 for $1500 because it too had a blown motor (Apex Seal) @ 115k miles.

I love saying this : 13bt owners remind me of 7 bolt 4g63T owners. Most have backup engines if they are smart.

~Blow your mind~

Old 07-10-2004, 11:31 PM   #7
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

[quote=Inygknok]is it me, or does everyone agree that this guy talks out of pure anal ignorance?

$50,000 for a damn FD? it better be carbon-fibre everywhere and have DVD's for that price.

also, for a 20B, 550hp is nuthin, thats the area where the 13B starts reaching its limits (unless u really push the engine really hard which wont last at all).

also buddy, about 7,500rpms, even an SR20DET can do that all day long. the MR-2? damn right it can do so as well, and oh, wait, its an iron block, which means u know it will resist a whole lotta crap u throw at it and leave it stock (classic american muscle cars anyone?).

also, the first RX to have ever really reached a level where it doesnt break down as much is the RX-8. the FC has cast iron seals that wear down the housing and eventually the rotors just float around.

also, EVERY SINGLE DAMN rotary engine owner has a spare engine on the side, just like the DSM owners, but even 2g DSMs outlast rotaries.

[quote]

Finally something we can agree on. I vote he has never even owned or know a person who has owned a turbo rotary.

~Blow your mind~

Old 07-11-2004, 12:04 AM   #8
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Not too offend anyone but if you guys dont know anything about a car, dont comment. Knowledge based on hear-say just wount cut it.

Good advice. Practice what you preach

Unless you know of another sports car that can hit 150MPH on a daily basis redlines at 7500RPM , 12000 with porting, and can be bought for under $2000. Please inform me : )

*Points to name* Need I say more? 12000 what with porting? I hope you're surley not suggesting the redline becomes 12000RPM with just porting?

RX7 are probally one of the most reliable sports cars out there, it all depends on how it was maintained. Its true that the first gens (FB's) were flawed and would blow seals like nobodys business.

Do us the favor and not contradict yourself. Flaws in gaskets and seals have nothing to do with the "maintainence" of a car. If its faulty its gonna blow, irregardless to how you treat the car.

Most of the problems were solved in the 2nd gens (FC's). If youre intimadated by all the crap being thrown around by people that obviously dont know what they are talking about. Do some research on your own. If money is no object to you and you still like Rx7's then lookin into pettie racing banzai edition car its cost $50 000, it has 550HP, 460Lb torque 3 rotor, 2.0L twin turbo. btw it does 0-60 in 3.1 secs : )

50,000 for an RX7? At ONLY 550HP? The acceleration is nice but for 50,000 it better drive itself.

anyways thats my 2 cents.....like i said above, this is not too offend anyone on here, but it seems like everyone on here are millionairs and have skylines as their beater cars
No, just a stupid assumption by you.

Quote:

u can ask any rotary engine owner about their info, and none of them will tell ya "just go buy stephan papadakis's special RX-7, it can whoop out less HP than u can actually make with the car and costs 3 times as much! and it doesnt even have a DVD!"

Pfft my ass. No DSM owner I know has an engine handy. If it locks it locks. You can have a 4G63 at your door in about 2 days. Hey I thought I told you about that crankwalk talk buddy

Haha look how you say it. It does'nt have a DVD. A DVD what? Are you referring to just a DVD disc, or just a DVD player? I think you're trying to refer the the visual setup of a DVD system(i.e. Plasma Screen and DVD player?) And those things are piss cheap where I'm at. Screen is about $300-800(depending on size) the player is $100-260.

*EDIT*
If you wan't the RX-7 then get it. You were leaning towards it, and you've stated only about as many times as I can remember that you want it. So get it, you don't even need our advice. Screw the MR2 get the RX-7.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...

Last edited by DSMer : 07-11-2004 at 12:13 AM.
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 02:06 AM   #9
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Haha look how you say it. It does'nt have a DVD. A DVD what? Are you referring to just a DVD disc, or just a DVD player? I think you're trying to refer the the visual setup of a DVD system(i.e. Plasma Screen and DVD player?) And those things are piss cheap where I'm at. Screen is about $300-800(depending on size) the player is $100-260.

*EDIT*
If you wan't the RX-7 then get it. You were leaning towards it, and you've stated only about as many times as I can remember that you want it. So get it, you don't even need our advice. Screw the MR2 get the RX-7.

DVD as in a full blown cinema in there :P, including a popcorn machine.

Old 07-11-2004, 02:20 AM   #10
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
DVD as in a full blown cinema in there :P, including a popcorn machine.

Haha, popcorn machine. Something about boiling hot butter and driving at fast speeds does'nt mix very well.

Inygknok, you can get a full DVD cinema for a meager price compared to 50k large. I put one in my budos car. 15" flip down, 7 " in shotgun, and a 7" in the dash. All for about $1600. Then the underseat DVD player for $160, adapters for audio imput $200. Close to 2k if you know how to shop, so for 50k that car had better have navigation,dvd,rearview camers, and a full entourage of fuel management devices.

Old 07-11-2004, 02:26 AM   #11
VMJYogi
CF Addict

I'd like to congratulate everyone here on a well thought out way of telling the smart mouthed newbie to shut his trap. Maybe he'll learn some respect for people here @ car-forums.com.... So anyways i was wondering how the hell ya'll know all this crap about so many different models of cars. Im just getting into the import world and i dont know crap. Anyone interesting in guiding a young individual?

Self-appointed anchorman of CF. I bring the news with a savvy tongue b*tch!
Now an ever prouder DEP of the USMC
I get fresh from Yankee Stadium to the Gardens i beg your pardon, stop it, my closet Macys mens department pants shirt scarf phone if you checkin get the scoop on the cologne belt and shoe section fur for fur baby baby you'll go stir crazy
VMJYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 02:28 AM   #12
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Haha, popcorn machine. Something about boiling hot butter and driving at fast speeds does'nt mix very well.

Inygknok, you can get a full DVD cinema for a meager price compared to 50k large. I put one in my budos car. 15" flip down, 7 " in shotgun, and a 7" in the dash. All for about $1600. Then the underseat DVD player for $160, adapters for audio imput $200. Close to 2k if you know how to shop, so for 50k that car had better have navigation,dvd,rearview camers, and a full entourage of fuel management devices.

u n00b, dont u watch monster garage? pffft, jesse james owns u bitch!

lol anyhow, there was this one episode where he built a cop car with a donut making machine in there, even glazed them. it was pretty funny.

anyhow, ok.... ill think of more fancy luxury stuff... ooh, i know! for 50k, it better be the rotary version of KITT, and have modern controls but still the same voice.

Old 07-11-2004, 02:39 AM   #13
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMJYogi
I'd like to congratulate everyone here on a well thought out way of telling the smart mouthed newbie to shut his trap. Maybe he'll learn some respect for people here @ car-forums.com.... So anyways i was wondering how the hell ya'll know all this crap about so many different models of cars. Im just getting into the import world and i dont know crap. Anyone interesting in guiding a young individual?

Haha yeah, he needed it. VMJYogi, just read, drive, listen, and learn. Buying the occasional import magazine or google searching a car. Browsing forums, and even visiting the manufactuers website. Theres alot of information out there and alot of new cars and old cars that are still being researched. You're allready on the right foot by being a member of this forum. It takes time to learn. You'll get it one day.. I learned the whole concept of Horizontally Oppose,V,Inline,and Rotary engines by playing Tokyo Racing. Not to mention Naturaly Aspirated(N/A) and Forced Inductio(F/I). Its quite easy to learn alot of things once you understand how cars work.

Quote:
u n00b, dont u watch monster garage? pffft, jesse james owns u bitch!

lol anyhow, there was this one episode where he built a cop car with a donut making machine in there, even glazed them. it was pretty funny.

anyhow, ok.... ill think of more fancy luxury stuff... ooh, i know! for 50k, it better be the rotary version of KITT, and have modern controls but still the same voice.

N00b? How DARE YOU!
I watch monstergarage all the time and I find it amusing. Although I would hate to tear apart a perfectly good car to put a damn donut maker in it. Although that would be useful.... well maybe not but you get the idea...

Old 07-11-2004, 02:52 AM   #14
VMJYogi
CF Addict

oh yeah the horizontally opposed/v/inline/boxer thing is easy. so is the whole na/turbo thing (got that from GT3). but i dont know about the different engines or car models. but ur right i haven't really tried to learn till now so yeah i'll probably get it sooner or later.

Self-appointed anchorman of CF. I bring the news with a savvy tongue b*tch!
Now an ever prouder DEP of the USMC
I get fresh from Yankee Stadium to the Gardens i beg your pardon, stop it, my closet Macys mens department pants shirt scarf phone if you checkin get the scoop on the cologne belt and shoe section fur for fur baby baby you'll go stir crazy
VMJYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 03:08 AM   #15
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMJYogi
oh yeah the horizontally opposed/v/inline/boxer thing is easy. so is the whole na/turbo thing (got that from GT3). but i dont know about the different engines or car models. but ur right i haven't really tried to learn till now so yeah i'll probably get it sooner or later.

Oh you mean how people know how like an eclipse has a 2.0L 4G63 I-4 in it? Or how a 6-Speed RX-8 has a Renesis 2 Rotary 238BHP? Just reading specs on cars. You'll get the hang of if..