Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2004, 08:32 PM   #1
DynomitE
CF Newbie

Advice regarding Saabs

Hi there,

I'm new here so go easy I was curious if anyone really knew from first hand experience or any reading whether or not the Saab 9-3 was a good, quality car.

I was interested in the 2003+ 9-3 Arc and was just questioning the reliability of the car. I have read tons and tons of mixed reviews, so I figured I would ask people who may actually know.

Any help would be appreciated, just curious what people think about this particular make/model.

Thanks
DynomitE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 10:22 PM   #2
Car Nirvana
CF Enthusiast

This seem's to be a very strange subject because they are know'n here in the EU as very good and reliable cars. so good infact sometimes they are knowen as BMW's with a better image.
But in the US it seem's they have poor reliability
Well thats all i can say because I dont know much about the GM 'Saabs'
Im more into the pre GM's vvv as u can see

Noble M400 = Good bye M3 CSL and 911 GT3
M400 Lap time 52.60sec
911 GT3 Lap time 54.20sec
M3 CSL Lap time 54.75sec

And just for you Cliffy.....
M400 On the road 18/20
M3 CSL On the road 12/20
Review from Autocar
Car Nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 10:35 PM   #3
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynomitE
Hi there,

I'm new here so go easy I was curious if anyone really knew from first hand experience or any reading whether or not the Saab 9-3 was a good, quality car.

I was interested in the 2003+ 9-3 Arc and was just questioning the reliability of the car. I have read tons and tons of mixed reviews, so I figured I would ask people who may actually know.

Any help would be appreciated, just curious what people think about this particular make/model.

Thanks

I was recently at a wedding (i posted this on another thread) where a guy who owned a new 9-3 and said it was very problem-matic. He referred to it as a Jaguar when it comes to repairs (in other words $$$$). I wouldn't recommend them. On the 3-year dependability update JD Power ranked the 2001 series of Saabs to be just average with the auto industry. So it's nothing to write home about. This survery though doesn't tell the cost of the reapirs though and that is what seems to make the biggest dent in Jaguar and Saab owner's pockets.

Some other cars you might want to look at include the new TL ($32,000) and TSX ($27,000). Both are excellent cars for the money. I also recommend looking at a G35 ($27k-$32k) as they are good cars too.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 10:36 PM   #4
lutz
Top-Hat

I'm thinking to buy the same car. A buddy of mine has a used convertible, I drove it very often, it's reliable with an affordable service.

Have A Drink On Me!

lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 12:23 AM   #5
Car Nirvana
CF Enthusiast

As I said though it seems to differ between the US and the EU

Noble M400 = Good bye M3 CSL and 911 GT3
M400 Lap time 52.60sec
911 GT3 Lap time 54.20sec
M3 CSL Lap time 54.75sec

And just for you Cliffy.....
M400 On the road 18/20
M3 CSL On the road 12/20
Review from Autocar
Car Nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 02:13 AM   #6
DynomitE
CF Newbie

I actually test drove a 04 Linear used with 6,500 miles on it and was quite impressed. The turbo was quite fun and I felt like it drove like a dream.

In comparison my dad had a 325i that was a company car, and I drove it and felt the Saab was much more convenient and comfortable. My girlfriend rode in the back and preferred it to the BMW as in backseat comfort.

Still thinking of my options here, but in reality this car drove very well and would be quite better gas wise, compared to my 2000 Mountaineer
DynomitE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 08:40 AM   #7
heebee
CF Enthusiast

I've driven a 9-3, and it's horrible when pushed. The chassis is lousy. The interior is quite pleasant, and I like the look of the car, but it really isn't worth the money over the Vauxhall Cavalier floorpan that it's based on.

It's fidgety over bumps, suffers from bumpsteer, and understeers like a ship. The only positive thing I could say about the handling is that it's better than the Volvo S40, which isn't saying much at all. Neither of these have much feel to the steering, either.
heebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 10:00 PM   #8
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heebee
I've driven a 9-3, and it's horrible when pushed. The chassis is lousy. The interior is quite pleasant, and I like the look of the car, but it really isn't worth the money over the Vauxhall Cavalier floorpan that it's based on.

It's fidgety over bumps, suffers from bumpsteer, and understeers like a ship. The only positive thing I could say about the handling is that it's better than the Volvo S40, which isn't saying much at all. Neither of these have much feel to the steering, either.

I have also driven a 9-3 and your right the handling and suspension could use some upgrades but they are not bad cars, over all I would give them a 6.5 out of 10. They are pretty fun cars, but have room for improvement.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:19 AM   #9
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by heebee

Its the american buy out factor i feel, the S40 isnt a real volvo, you dont get in it and feel like you invicible. The big volvos still have that feel. the V70 is probibly the most in keeping. But nothing is quite like a 740 for antique dealer power.
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote