Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2003, 09:21 PM   #1
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

10s Car Theory

I read the topic titled "What is the best street racing car?", so instead of sending a post to that thread, I decided to start a more specific topic.
The question is, what's the least you could spend on a "10 second car"?
I choose a 98- Camaro SS for a theoretical base car as it's nearly as fast as its cousin, the Corvette C5 (the best value supercar to date) but the Camaro is half the price.
The following reasons also contribute to my choice -
) It can put lots of power down well via its rear wheels
) Its V8 engine can handle lots of power and it has more potential for modifications than a 4-cylinder
) Its top speed of 160mph is just about right as the aim is for it to cross the quarter mile line at around 140mph
I would then do the following modifications -
) Megatronic ignition by www.nitrous-solutions.com
) 100bhp nitrous pulsoid
) Colder spark plugs
) Cam timing retarded about 6 degrees
) Uprated crankshaft, clutch and gearbox
) Lowered suspension for aerodynamics
) Racing slicks
) Stripped out interior with just the drivers seat left in
) Shortened gearstick
) Shift change lights
I would have a huge hole put in the bonnet as well as holes in the front wings with mesh to replace the solid metal to save weight. I would do the same to the rear bumper so that it could act as a diffuser for improved aerodynamics.
My first choice would have been a 90-94 Nissan 300 ZX but they've got a reputation for shredding their manual gearboxes.
The car sounds okay to me in theory but I do have the following questions -
? Aren't there any decent aftermarket gearboxes for the 300 ZX?
? Why is the Camaro half the price of the Corvette?
? Would a Camaro need an uprated cam shaft for a 100bhp nitrous jet and if so, around how much would it cost (including labour)?
? Do crank case filters offer better performance?
? How much would labour cost to have the exhausts de-catted?
? Is there really a noticable increase in performance if you use heat wrap around your exhaust manifolds?
? Would it be worth changing the windows for lighter ones and taking the air dam cover out?
? A Camaro doesn't have a particularly luxurious interior does it?
? How much would a short throw gear stick conversion for the Camaro cost and would it be worth it?
? What would be the best time to flick the nitrous switch e.g. at 30mph in first gear?
The big question is would a 320bhp camaro with a 100bhp shot of nitrous be able to finish a quarter mile in less than 10 seconds and/or can anyone think of any better suggestions?
Maybe it's more a question of which cars like nitrous the most e.g. if you read the "Nitrous Solutions" link, it says that a Mitsubishi turned a 25bhp jet of nitrous into 15bhp at the crank but a Ford turned the same sized jet into 75bhp at the wheels ! Wouldn't that mean the more the power output, the more the components need to be uprated though ( ?
I hope you enjoyed the read. Let me know what you all think wink
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 10:04 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

After reading your post several times I have to say your theoretical car would probably be a solid 10-second car, obviously well thought out. To me the only fly in the ointment is the cost if you're attempting to build it on the cheap. A quick look at autotrader.com shows prices for a 98 Camaro SS from $21K to $9K. Assuming an average price of $15K, by the time you complete your mods you have a car costing well in excess of $20K. That is if you do your own work, and many people probably wouldn't do it based on the complexity, at least the internal mods. And if car prices are the same as they were when I lived in England you could probably add another 50% to that.

So.... if you're only concerned with a 10-second car on the cheap I feel there would be many other choices to do it for alot less. I might even build you one on paper once my fingers uncramp from typing. See ya.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 11:24 PM   #3
bLen
CF Newbie

well, the im pretty sure the Z06 is close to ten seconds and its friggen cheap for a brand new, sport retail car
Old 03-25-2003, 12:40 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bLen
well, the im pretty sure the Z06 is close to ten seconds and its friggen cheap for a brand new, sport retail car

The most recent test of a Z06 by Car and Driver pegs it at 12.4 second 1/4 mile. Even a Lingenfelter twin turbo only (only?) runs it in 11.8. This is from a magazine that actually tests the cars instead of estimating or using manufacturers specs. They also show a '98 Camaro Z28SS running the 1/4 at 13.5. Also the Z06 lists for about $52K.

So.... a Camaro would be a better starting point if for no other reasons than they can be had cheaper and can more easily be set up to run a straight line hard. Still to meet the requirements of the exercise I would personally start with a different car.

Moral of the story. Get your facts straight or go home bLen.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 03-25-2003, 12:58 AM   #5
bLen
CF Newbie

well ur the retard, i was never doubting the first car, i was just saying that the z06 is amazing for its price, get ur facts straight.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:03 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
well ur the retard, i was never doubting the first car, i was just saying that the z06 is amazing for its price, get ur facts straight.

Uh, no you little weenie, you said close to 10 seconds. Unfortunately it's not. That is a fact. Now go play, your mommy wants the computer.

Old 03-25-2003, 01:10 AM   #7
bLen
CF Newbie

do you get off to making fun of 15 year olds? loser.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:19 AM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:

No, I "get off" having intelligent, meaningful conversations. That pretty much leaves you out.

Old 03-25-2003, 01:20 AM   #9
JU5TIN
CF Newbie

blen

Ye, I realize that you were right in saying bLen was wrong with his 10 seconds, and what bLen doesn't know is that the Z06 is known more for it's handling than it's speed, although it's speed is no doubt something to complain about, it's the advanced traction system and superior Handling that puts it above the rest. For those who dont' know, for example, if you were to go into a corner or exit a corner to hard with to much speed and the car detected that a tire was slipping or about to slip, the car automatically transfers power away from that wheel to another wheel to compensate, this means the car will not slide, or spin the tires. Not that you couldn't spin the tires if you tried hard enough, but as I said, a good system to have. This is not the only car with this kind of system but I do know that it has one of the best traction system in the world.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:23 AM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: blen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU5TIN
Ye, I realize that you were right in saying bLen was wrong with his 10 seconds, and what bLen doesn't know is that the Z06 is known more for it's handling than it's speed, although it's speed is no doubt something to complain about, it's the advanced traction system and superior Handling that puts it above the rest. For those who dont' know, for example, if you were to go into a corner or exit a corner to hard with to much speed and the car detected that a tire was slipping or about to slip, the car automatically transfers power away from that wheel to another wheel to compensate, this means the car will not slide, or spin the tires. Not that you couldn't spin the tires if you tried hard enough, but as I said, a good system to have. This is not the only car with this kind of system but I do know that it has one of the best traction system in the world.

There you have it, intelligent conversation. Thank you Justin.

Old 03-25-2003, 01:23 AM   #11
bLen
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Quote:

No, I "get off" having intelligent, meaningful conversations. That pretty much leaves you out.

so then i take it you never get off
Old 03-25-2003, 01:25 AM   #12
JU5TIN
CF Newbie

No problem vwhobo.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:31 AM   #13
bLen
CF Newbie

well if hobo here new anything, he would have mentioned that beefore, justin he needs you, hes a 30year old homo who lives in his mothers basement
Old 03-25-2003, 01:45 AM   #14
JU5TIN
CF Newbie

... Come on man
Old 03-25-2003, 04:18 AM   #15
bLen
CF Newbie

1978 Porsche 935 "Moby Dick" does the 1/4 mile in 8.9 seconds