Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2004, 09:40 PM   #1
Wonderbread7608
CF Newbie

"Performance" License?

I think they should have different levels of licenses. They should make you get a license pefore you do performance mods, to keep kids from wrapping themselves around trees because of lack of experience. Doesn't mean if you have the license you can speed, etc... but lets you do performace mods. You should have to take a test, like the regular one, except it should be harder, to show you are capable of handling a more powerful car. What do you guys think?
Wonderbread7608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 01:23 PM   #2
Diomedes
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbread7608
I think they should have different levels of licenses. They should make you get a license pefore you do performance mods, to keep kids from wrapping themselves around trees because of lack of experience. Doesn't mean if you have the license you can speed, etc... but lets you do performace mods. You should have to take a test, like the regular one, except it should be harder, to show you are capable of handling a more powerful car. What do you guys think?

I definately agree with you. There's certain times when these little 16 year olds just getting their license and having watched "The Fast And The Furious" one too many times think they're the best driver ever. Not only do they crack-up their car, but they may injure someone else.
Especially when their parents have money. I live in a very wealthy neighborhood, and a ton of kids parents go off and buy them really nice first cars. No lie, some kids parents got him a Mazda RX-8 as his first car. Stupid in my opinion, but I do agree about a performance license.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 05:48 PM   #3
Inygknok
El del Supra

that would be awesome. aftermarket companies should be set to only be able to sell parts, atleast the big parts, to those with this license.

maybe only allow small things, like body kits (just cuz maybe they want a simple show car with no power mods), rims, and stupid little things like those, though i think that may be enough to get them to crash again....

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 06:07 PM   #4
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Oh this is a great idea! Maybe we can separate the Performance Licence into "stages" where stage one would be the lowest and allows speeds not to exceed 45mph. Stage two would allow actual freeway/highway speeds..and so on. After stage five, you can add an air dam and the last end all stage 25 Performance License would allow the awe inspiring carbon-fiber grocery cart handle on the rear deck!! You would then know who has the skills to drive and who doesn't. Just think of the added pride in having one of those huge rear wings on the car and the respect it would demand as the lesser peons look on you as a god of driving. I know even today without the Performance License, I just dream of adding a rear wing to my car...the bigger the better!

Oh...oh...I had another idea...you know how in martial arts after receiving the black belt, there come the degrees of black belts...like 1st degree black belt...3rd degree black belt...

Well, I just thought...after the 25th Stage Performance License, we can then move to 1st Degree Performance License which would allow for a double-wing grocery cart handle on the rear deck of the rice car...I mean Perfomance Car...

(sarcasm at it's lowest form)

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 09:46 PM   #5
sc0rched
CF Newbie

Quote:
They should make you get a license pefore you do performance mods, to keep kids from wrapping themselves around trees because of lack of experience. Doesn't mean if you have the license you can speed, etc... but lets you do performace mods.

I dont see much sense in this here... License's are created in things that can be dangerous if used in a wrong manner so they give it to mature people only who can handle it. Performance modding is not very dangerous... how many deaths do you see from modding a car?? Only problem I see is if the output of the mod caused somthing to go wrong, however, then they wont even get themselves on the street if the car isnt functioning right.

Quote:
I definately agree with you. There's certain times when these little 16 year olds just getting their license and having watched "The Fast And The Furious" one too many times think they're the best driver ever. Not only do they crack-up their car, but they may injure someone else.

If we have a lisence to drive a sports car, we should have a license for driving any car to because SUV's handle akward to so we should have a lisence to drive them also because thier car can roll, and kill people.

The fact is there are drivers in this world who just SUCK and it doesnt matter what age they are. Maybe its just the standard of getting a normal lisence that needs to be upped instead of getting individual licenses for everything.

The only thing I can agree with you on somewhat is that people tend to speed with performance cars which can cause deaths and injuries. However, how would making a new license solve any problem. Cars are dangerous with bad drivers no matter what model you get.

I would be more scared with a 16 year old in a Hummer than a sports car, because in a Hummer they can injure you, in a performance car they have a higher risk of injurying themselve more.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:58 PM   #6
Wonderbread7608
CF Newbie

well... there are kids at my school who mooch off their parents and get custom turbo kits, and end up crashing it a week later because they didn't know how to control a powerful car. I agree about the license thing, I wouldn't mind the test being harder if it would keep me and the people around me safeer while i drive.

Look at it this way, is it easier to kill yourself when you have a stock 95 honda civic with 100hp or your turbo civic with 200+ hp street racing because you think your a badass?
Wonderbread7608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:03 PM   #7
SuperJew
I like pie.

its not a matter of the car, its the matter of the driver's attentiveness to the road. if a driver in a high-performance car pays more attention to the road than someone with a junker, what do you think will happen? people get into accidents all the time in all kinds of different cars. yes, there is something to be said about driver experience, but not all experienced drivers are good drivers. they can think, "oh, i have a lot of time driving, i can do this and this and this while driving" and that displays a lack of attention given to the road and what is going on.

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 06:59 AM   #8
VMJYogi
CF Addict

Well the plan of the whole performance license thing has good intentions but i dont think it'd really work. If you really want to couldnt you practice ur ass off in a parking lot (causing more threat) just so you can go try to pass this performance test? People would do that. The people that get into the speed related accidents are young people. Lets face it us young kids drive stupid alot. But what i do think would work is that (note: this is impossible) if we could find a way so that parents couldnt buy their kids nice cars, or kids couldnt use their mechanic uncles to help them build up their cars. If we had to work for everything...our intakes, exhausts, EVERYTHING and on top of that we had to put it in ourselves. I think that alot of kids would have a greater respect for their hard work. So if people had to buy the tools neccessary and be their own mechs. i think they'll have a greater appreciation for their cars. When you have to work hard for what you have, you dont really do it to impress anybody, you do it because thats what u wanted. Since ur not out to impress why show off? Ergo, less stupid showoffs=less stupid accidents.

Self-appointed anchorman of CF. I bring the news with a savvy tongue b*tch!
Now an ever prouder DEP of the USMC
I get fresh from Yankee Stadium to the Gardens i beg your pardon, stop it, my closet Macys mens department pants shirt scarf phone if you checkin get the scoop on the cologne belt and shoe section fur for fur baby baby you'll go stir crazy
VMJYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 01:10 PM   #9
WeaponR
CF Weapon Type R

guys what if the insurance companies start makin' some restrictions....since they are goin' to be involved if their is a crash. i would say if they make their regs. more strict than they are. i know in the UK they are quite strict but i can't speak for the US. i would say it would be better if the insurance companies say like if your cars hosrepower is between this range, you have to qualify for the insurance with the age limit. why age limit? thats cos the more people drive the more they should improve with their drivin' right? (looks at SJ's post and thinks twice) well here's where the performance license can play a part aswell cos if there was such a thing introduced companies would ask if you have a performance license and if not they won't insure you.

Quote:
that would be awesome. aftermarket companies should be set to only be able to sell parts, atleast the big parts, to those with this license.
that should help reduce the amount off people drivin' tuned cars with high power and yet don't have the ability to control them! good point

Quote:
License's are created in things that can be dangerous if used in a wrong manner so they give it to mature people only who can handle it
exactly! imagine if some kid who has just passed takes his dads Ferrari out for a spin? i would assume it would not return in one whole piece right? rather some poor child will be trapped underneath it

Quote:
how many deaths do you see from modding a car??
think of it this way...how many road traffic accidents/deaths do you see?? all due to careless drivin' and a high powered sports car adds to the reck especially if the driver does'nt have the ability to control the car under difficult circumstances!

Quote:
people tend to speed with performance cars which can cause deaths and injuries
so why not create a license so that these cars do end up in the wrong hands
WeaponR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 05:43 PM   #10
sc0rched
CF Newbie

Quote:
if the insurance companies say like if your cars hosrepower is between this range, you have to qualify for the insurance with the age limit.

They do some of that in a sense, for young drivers with sports cars the insurance SKY ROCKETS!

Also I dont think you guys understand it fully... How would a cop know if someone was driving a sports car without a lisence? What if he was borrowing a neighbors car to take for a spin? The license would be hard to impliment since cops cannot pull you over without proper reason (aka. speeding, tail light out, license plate out of date, going through a red).

Quote:
exactly! imagine if some kid who has just passed takes his dads Ferrari out for a spin? i would assume it would not return in one whole piece right? rather some poor child will be trapped underneath it

You guys seem to be limiting crappy drivers to an age group... but its not only teens who end up in recks. Adults get in crashes for different reasons though like talking on the cell phone, eating while driving, etc.

Plus car companies and aftermarket companies would dissappove of the license since they are out to make $$$$$$$$. They could care less who drives thier car as long as they get the $ for it.

Quote:
its not a matter of the car, its the matter of the driver's attentiveness to the road.

Yep, and its not only the teens who you guys keep targeting.

Quote:
Look at it this way, is it easier to kill yourself when you have a stock 95 honda civic with 100hp or your turbo civic with 200+ hp street racing because you think your a badass?

Also look at it this way, street racing is illegal anyways... Maybe its not that we need special license's its more that we need more cops.

To add to that a person could take the license test, and pass it, but then change thier driving habits from when you take the test. For example, in you driving test you had to have both hands on the steeringwheel at the right position, but if you look at drivers on the road, half of them are eating with one hand and driving with the other.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:05 PM   #11
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc0rched
Also I dont think you guys understand it fully... How would a cop know if someone was driving a sports car without a lisence? What if he was borrowing a neighbors car to take for a spin? The license would be hard to impliment since cops cannot pull you over without proper reason (aka. speeding, tail light out, license plate out of date, going through a red).

I think you got the main point, right there. Enforcing the law would be impossible. Say I had one car. *I* have the performance license, and my wife doesn't (in reality we'd both have one, but let's leave that alone for this example). Now, if I'm driving the car, my license says I can go faster than hers does. How do the police, from outside the car, know that my license is teh one being used? if they see here, how do they determine from outside teh car that she CAN'T go fast? How do they know that one or the other of us can go fast? From the plate? Do we swap plates on the car every time one or the other wants to drive somewhere? And what about my stepson?

What will happen is that every time a car goes by a cop faster, the cop would have to pull that car over to find out if that person driving is supposed to be the one driving that way, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Quote:
Maybe its just the standard of getting a normal lisence that needs to be upped instead of getting individual licenses for everything.

Exactly. That and up the penalty for being the cause of an accident, and for drunk driving. Teach 'em how to drive, remove a bunch of restrictions, then hit them heavily if they do something stupid.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:38 PM   #12
Inygknok
El del Supra

there could be special license plates implemented on cars, but making fakes of those would be so easy unless some type of new radar is made and it can detect wether or not its fake. still, that can get faked out too, unless a special chip on the license plate sends a signal to check if its registered or not for real. then again, theres the Mafia and hackers.

i dont think more cops are needed, just more cops that actually do their damn job, and the right way. some cops will just stop u for the heck of it. others will not even bother doing their job. then theres the very few that do actually care about the safety of citizens and will stop those that should be stopped, but those are too few.

i just think law enforcement officers should get some royal spanking for every single guy they stop for stupid reasons instead of giving tickets to soccer moms driving with their feet cuz they dont wanna let go of their cell phones. its people like these that really put lives in danger. well, that and drunks and drugged-up people. those are the ones that cause most of the accidents. if there are to be anymore increases in law enforcement officers, then i believe there should be atleast 2 posted in local bars and such to start of with, since drunks driving are one of the biggest threats to anyone on the road. cell phone companies should be forced to hand out handless kits with every single cell phone (mobile for you euros) that they give out. many people are too lazy to even take 10 minutes to go down to Radio Shak and buy one of these simple kits. in fact, i know for a fact that some insurance companies wont even cover your damages if u are involved in an accident and if u were talking on the cell phone without a handless kit. women putting on make up should also be stopped and given atleast a small ticket or a warning, just to be fair and not too cruel (and guys too.... but that would be too odd.... if u know wat i mean). i think its actually the "little things" that can cause the most damages most of the time (just like Good Charlotte - Little Things).

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 01:09 AM   #13
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaponR
guys what if the insurance companies start makin' some restrictions....since they are goin' to be involved if their is a crash. i would say if they make their regs. more strict than they are. i know in the UK they are quite strict but i can't speak for the US. i would say it would be better if the insurance companies say like if your cars hosrepower is between this range, you have to qualify for the insurance with the age limit. why age limit? thats cos the more people drive the more they should improve with their drivin' right? (looks at SJ's post and thinks twice) well here's where the performance license can play a part aswell cos if there was such a thing introduced companies would ask if you have a performance license and if not they won't insure you.

that should help reduce the amount off people drivin' tuned cars with high power and yet don't have the ability to control them! good point

think of it this way...how many road traffic accidents/deaths do you see?? all due to careless drivin' and a high powered sports car adds to the reck especially if the driver does'nt have the ability to control the car under difficult circumstances!

so why not create a license so that these cars do end up in the wrong hands

I have a Advanced motoring licence & RAC compotition licence and theinsurance companies just dont seem to care, they still just rip me off because im not middle aged. Then there is the issue of distance and experiance, surely if you drive 50,000 miles in one year its the same as driving it over 10 years?
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 05:35 AM   #14
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

ahhh, enter the world of Gran Turismo....this is a dumb thread to begin with, with my luck some douche-bag with some kinda say in gov't. will move to have something like that implemented...all it will really do is make somebody an assload of money and end up screwing the rest of us somehow. There also really isn't any way of telling what mods people have if their smart about it. I could build a streetable stock appearing 12-sec stang with relative ease. How can they tell if you have ported heads...or a bored/stroked short block...mild cam...high stall torque converter...aftermarket gears/posi............

they can't! sorry whoever started this thread, it's a dumb idea and I think you need to stop playing video games!

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 08:06 AM   #15
Unlicensed
CF Enthusiast

I have to give fair respect for the uk insurance method.
at 17 you cant go out and buy an escort cosworth and get insurance for it! your stuck in a 1.3lt piece of crap for a year. then maybe a 1.6lt and so on and so forth.

but the fact remains that you can do damage and kill people in a fiat 126 just as fast as in a big block V8. if your that stupid a driver.
passing a test to be able to handle a powerful car wont stop speeders slaming into someone who pulls out, because no-matter how good you are, you cant make the car stop faster! if your going to speed your going to come unstuck at some point. unless your responsible.
I dont think I'm a prude for saying that if you wanna drive fast? join a track club and hit the road were everyone is driving in the same direction for a start.

basically, there's no reason to drive fast on the public road. your just endangering yourself and more importantly others. but yes I know were probably all guilty of it?!

since i had my son i cant shake off the thought when I'm speeding, what if my son (or someone elses) turned his brian off and just ran accross the street infront of me right NOW! regardless, it wouldn't be my fault that he ran out, but knowing that if I'd just been going a little slower i might not have killed him!

At the end of the day, we all now there are some REALLY bad drivers out there. what can you do to avoid them? its preety obvious to me.
Unlicensed is offline   Reply With Quote