Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2005, 04:43 AM   #16
Flirtyboy04
CF Newbie

diferent licens

Ok I agree with the different licens thing, especally for those dang SUV's my faver thing is when you see a sign that says compact car and you see those SUV parked in there taking 3 spots, and I say make one for those trucks that are sky high with after market goodies and say you have to know how to use it, ok enough of my rabbling well just one more. My mom is a School bus driver (yes those yellow things kids go to school in) and there changeing the name of the licen to a BS one that should be a field day with the cops saying you have a BS licens
Flirtyboy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:48 AM   #17
Lucky13
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc0rched
cops cannot pull you over without proper reason (aka. speeding, tail light out, license plate out of date, going through a red).

I don't mean to be a smartass but understand that cops can pull you over for ANY reason they want to. Maybe it's not ethical or legal but they can and they will. They can fabricate probable cause and get away with it. Happens everyday. Judges believe cops and not 17 year old kids who said they were pulled over for no good reason.

On another note however, no new license is necesarry for driving modded cars. nobody should be racing a modded car on the street to begin with or driving in manners that require a new license. You are all acting as if driver skill can enable a person to avoid every opprutunity for collision that they would face on the road. That isn't so. Driver skill may help you avoid skids, hydroplaning and other natural road hazards but no amount of driver skill will help you when another driver doesn't notice you hurtling down the road at 120 and pulls out in front of you. It's not just you. There are other people on the road as well.

If any dumbass goes and kills himself by driving recklessly he's just taken his dumbass genes out of the gene pool so hopefully the next generation would be a bit more responsible. The only problem is that most of the time these dumbasses take a few innocents with them when they go. Respect the road and the other people using it.

I hope that tirade makes a little bit of sense. I'm a bit hazy at 3 in the morning.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:24 AM   #18
Juhosaphat
CF Newbie

A different license wouldn't improve anything. Honestly, anybody can pass a driving test. No matter how difficult. The thing to do, would for the performance shops to ask for a driving record for certain parts before they would make a sale. If somebody doesn't have a clean driving record for a certain amount of years, then don't sell them any parts. Simple as that.

1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme = 231 cu.in. Buick V-6 Stock hp: 110 Current hp: 120-130 Est e.t.: 17-18

1993 BMW 325 is = 200ish straight 6 Stock hp: 189 Current hp: 230-240 Est e.t.: 12-13

Looking for hp gains on both, aftermarket body parts for the BMW. Hit me up if you got anything and maybe we can work something out.
Juhosaphat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:41 AM   #19
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13

On another note however, no new license is necesarry for driving modded cars. nobody should be racing a modded car on the street to begin with or driving in manners that require a new license. You are all acting as if driver skill can enable a person to avoid every opprutunity for collision that they would face on the road. That isn't so. Driver skill may help you avoid skids, hydroplaning and other natural road hazards but no amount of driver skill will help you when another driver doesn't notice you hurtling down the road at 120 and pulls out in front of you. It's not just you. There are other people on the road as well.

So far this is the only post that has really made sense. I personally think this license system is a ridiculous idea. I think what wouldn't be a ridiculous idea is to make the driver's tests WAY harder. Its easy enough for anybody to fake safe driving habits on the test, they need to find a way to filter out more of the unsafe drivers. I see people with their N's (stands for new driver in BC, Canada), speeding like madmen, when obviously they haven't been taught to drive this way.

Another thing they need to do is make people take the driving test once every ten years. This isn't that often considering you'd only have to take it maybe 7 times in your life at most. Almost every time I almost have an accident, its with some granny or some middle aged retard who doesn't know how to check shoulders or can't judge speed and distances. At my age (20), I'm able to be 100% aware of my surroundings at all times, thats why I'm constantly preventing accidents with blind drivers. I instantly see candidates for accidents, before i reach them, and I can safely assess the situation and deal with it. I see people out there, both hands firmly on the steering wheel, who stare straight ahead and make changing lanes look like the most difficult maneuver.

Example: Theres a bridge near where I live where when coming off, the lanes mix up quite a bit and the signs are not always so easy to understand. Once a middle aged woman with her family in the car, was coming off the bridge, and hadn't a clue what to do. She was going the speed limit, but obviously it wasn't enough time for her to figure out her course of action, because she came off the bridge in two lanes, half in my lane, half in hers, swerving like mad, trying to figure out what to do. I had to lay on the horn to get her to back off, meanwhile trying to avoid oncoming traffic, because she was pushing me into it.

These situations happen all the time, especially when merging. People don't realize that poor merging skills can cause major accidents, or at least road rage, like when the guy trying merge stops at the beginning of the merge lane, putt putts forward, stops at the end of the merge lane, and then tries to gun it in. This messes up all the people behind them and the people already zooming down the highway. It seems to me that every new driver I know out there was taught how to merge, and can do it easliy. However there are millions of middle aged and older drivers who nearly die every time.

We need to get these people off the roads by testing them. These drivers are way less likely to pass a road test than most teenagers out there. I would feel much safer if I knew that everyone on the road around me knew exactly how to control that three thousand pound killing machine they're driving. Seems a lot our older drivers forgot how to drive maybe 20 years ago. I'm not saying all teenagers are good drivers, but most of the time, I'd rather have the guy on the road who speeds a little, maybe scares a few people, than the smug driver with 30 years of driving experience under his belt, who narrowly avoids killing someone every trip they make.

Example: The moron who thinks that if he's turning left, he has the right of way over the guy on the other side turning right, into the same lane, when they both have green lights. At what point in their life did they unlearn this rule? This happens everyday.

Ok that was long, sorry if I rambled, its late.

PS, my first accident was with an mid 40's man who crashed into the side of me. I had only had my license for maybe 6 months, and I just sat there shocked. The guy came out of his car, screaming at me, that it was my fault. Deep down I knew it was his, but I was so scared about my dad's smashed car, I just took it all. Of couse we made our claims, and the insurance company determined it was his fault, so my dad didn't have to pay a dime.

--------and to ChrisV and some of the older guys here: I'm not saying its all older drivers here. MOST older drivers still know how to drive. Its the bad ones you see that stay in your head.

Last edited by Mathew : 06-12-2005 at 09:50 AM.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 02:06 PM   #20
FordFromHell351
Banned

This is a good idea in some ways, but a bad idea in others. I know that the intentions are good but then we would have more kids breaking the law by upgrading their cars because they cant resist the temptation of it, or just dont want to obey because they think its stupid.

The good part is obviously keeping kids from getting into trouble and hurting themselves. But then youve got to look at it this way, what cop is going to want to pull over every single car that he thinks has been modded out and then have to ask for a ID? Every kid should know how to be able to handle a car with alot of power. This is why I propose that instead of making a whole different lisence for this, that instead every teenager is required to take 2 sessions of a performance car handling course and pass both. This is much simpiler, and dosent restrict anything.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 10:20 PM   #21
dano
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick88Tbird
ahhh, enter the world of Gran Turismo....this is a dumb thread to begin with, with my luck some douche-bag with some kinda say in gov't. will move to have something like that implemented...all it will really do is make somebody an assload of money and end up screwing the rest of us somehow. There also really isn't any way of telling what mods people have if their smart about it. I could build a streetable stock appearing 12-sec stang with relative ease. How can they tell if you have ported heads...or a bored/stroked short block...mild cam...high stall torque converter...aftermarket gears/posi............

they can't! sorry whoever started this thread, it's a dumb idea and I think you need to stop playing video games!

you know as i read this thread i wondered how long it would take for somebody to say that. i couldnt agree more, i had an 88 cougar 5.0, posi, shift kit, ported heads, dented and dinged doors and rusty fenders. a real p.o.s., but it sure did run. incidently the insurance company called it a sports car, but the gas was worse than the insurance.

also i agree that stuck up rich kids that get everything handed to them dont value thier cars as much. i have to work for my car, and do all the work on it. its not only that its cheaper, but its what i like to do, and if i put 300 hours and 5000 dollars into a car i know that im gonna take care of it.
dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 11:45 PM   #22
DavidM
CF Newbie

I agree that nodifications to make vehicle go faster should be controlled. My insurance company doubled my premium when I modded my Z3.
So far though I'm not confident enough to use the extra power. I get too nervous especially on twisting roads.

Dave.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:19 AM   #23
Vlad
CF Addict

Just because they passed the test, what is the gaurantee they will drive the same way on the street? Admit it, who here drives the way they did when the DMV examiner was in the seat? I drove so slow and careful on that test. Not saying I drive recklessly now, but still, you know what I mean.

I agree it would be impossible to enforce unless you pull over every guy driving a permormance car, which would be nonsense. I don't wanna be pulled over to have my licsense checked every time I pass a cop just because I'm driving a permormance car.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 02:20 PM   #24
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

[quote=Lucky13]
On another note however, no new license is necesarry for driving modded cars. nobody should be racing a modded car on the street to begin with or driving in manners that require a new license. You are all acting as if driver skill can enable a person to avoid every opprutunity for collision that they would face on the road. That isn't so. Driver skill may help you avoid skids, hydroplaning and other natural road hazards but no amount of driver skill will help you when another driver doesn't notice you hurtling down the road at 120 and pulls out in front of you. It's not just you. There are other people on the road as well.[/qupte]

Apparenty you either haven't been driving long OR you are a really bad driver, yourself. "Driver skill" is nore than simply knowing how to avoid a skid. It's being able to pay attention to the world around you and see when people are coming from the sides. It's using your mirrors. It's using your peripheral vision. It's looking both ways quicky at an intersection to see if someone is or isn't coming from the sides. That driver doing 120 doesn't have to see you if you see HIM. Yes, you CAN avoid 99% of the situations you think you can't, and minimize the effects of the ones you can't completely avoid. I've DONE it. And I've BEEN doing it for over 20 years. It's how I've kept a clean driving record for decades, even though I've driven a lot of fast cars.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote