Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2003, 02:14 AM   #1
Conc3pt
CF Newbie

Agh! help

Okay, all of my life I have loved cars, and I just recently turned 16, and it just so happens I have enough $$$ to buy a used WRX from working the past 4 years, eeeexcept right now im driving a dodge intrepid with 150k miles on it and it is falling apart on me, my dad wont let me spend my own cash to buy a WRX, because he thinks it is stupid, and it really pisses me off because all I have ever loved is cars, anybody got any advice how I could explain this to him?
Conc3pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 07:03 AM   #2
lemans69

hey

i think that you should just be happy that you have a car.i'm 16 also and my friends have terrible cars.and they complain about their cars but it gets them around.i had to take the bus all summer. and i hated it and know i'm lucky to even have a car,even if it is a great car,i'm lucky and you should be glad because you can be taking the bus like others.you should save your mony for somthing else.you might need it for something that you really want or need later on,trust me.well good luck with car that you have and talking to your dad about what you want.but i was just stating my opinion.
Old 04-04-2003, 03:46 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: Agh! help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conc3pt
Okay, all of my life I have loved cars, and I just recently turned 16, and it just so happens I have enough $$$ to buy a used WRX from working the past 4 years, eeeexcept right now im driving a dodge intrepid with 150k miles on it and it is falling apart on me, my dad wont let me spend my own cash to buy a WRX, because he thinks it is stupid, and it really pisses me off because all I have ever loved is cars, anybody got any advice how I could explain this to him?

First I'll say that advice is based on opinion and opinions are like assholes, everbody has one and they all stink. Second I can tell you from my many years on this planet there are three sides to every story... yours, his, and what's really happening. All I know is yours. From here I'll tell you how it works with my son, ask yourself if you're doing everything you need to to do your part, and if you are you'll have a better chance to work the system.

My kid who is now 18 pays for everything out of his own pocket for a car, a truck and a motorcycle and has since he started driving. Of course he didn't start with all three. That's initial purchase, repairs, insurance. He is insured on my policy to lower his rates but the money comes out of his pocket. He is a full time student in high school, works a full time job, takes college classes and still finds time to bracket race and motocross. He also understands that any booze, dope, tickets, or other trouble with the law means he loses his insurance and place to live. If any of that sounds tough, well it is. And he knows I'll do it, it's not an empty threat. But you're never to young to take responsibility for yourself.

Now the reasons I hear from other parents that their kids are in your position all reflect the opposite of what my son does. They are afraid their kids are going to go out street racing, get loaded etc. They don't work, don't go to school, don't have a direction for their future. Also they don't want the money coming out of their pocket, although that doesn't sound like a problem for you.

The last thing I have for you is this. Alot of parents don't "get it", why does this kid like cars. My kid is not in this position because he learned it from me. If your father isn't into cars try getting him involved. Take him to a car show, local races (legal), stereo competition, whatever. Share what makes cars so important for you. Make him part of the process. Most parents would be flattered if their kid wanted them to go hang out with them, and that's in your favor. If you can get him enthused it will be a shitload easier to convince him.

I hope this helps even if it's not what you want to hear. I can tell you for sure there's no quick fix. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 11:45 PM   #4
Conc3pt
CF Newbie

He knows I go to all the car/bike shows around here, i ask him to come every time, he always rejects the idea.... Although i have gotten him to read a car and driver every once and a while, thanks for your opinion, ive just got myself a fulltime job, i have straight A's and i think that is opening him up a little bit, showing him how much responsiblity I have taken...
Old 04-05-2003, 11:49 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conc3pt
He knows I go to all the car/bike shows around here, i ask him to come every time, he always rejects the idea.... Although i have gotten him to read a car and driver every once and a while, thanks for your opinion, ive just got myself a fulltime job, i have straight A's and i think that is opening him up a little bit, showing him how much responsiblity I have taken...

Good job. Just to make you jealous I pitted for my son today while he motocrossed. And tomorrow we're going bracket racing with both of our cars. Show this to your dad, maybe that'll get him going.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 12:51 AM   #6
Conc3pt
CF Newbie

Yeah...thats a cool bond, i wish i could do that with my dad... he doesnt know much about cars but he loves corvettes... im trying to talk him into a Z06, muwahah lol then id drive it on weekends, but he said not till im out of college and on my own :? and my dad said today that we could go look at some WRX's...which made me really happy, hes opening up a little bit, ever since i got a job and got my grades up, so i think eventually in 6 months to a year, ill get my car, i just need him to sign for my loan 8), and just curious, vwhobo what kind of cars do you both drive?
Old 04-09-2003, 02:37 AM   #7
Conc3pt
CF Newbie

Actually, i got my dad! he said i could use my own money to buy a dodge srt-4, which i ABSOLUTELY LOVE, because its american, he was shakey on the wrx, because it was japanese, hes a hardcore patriot (SHH no1 tell him the srt-4 has more mitsubishi parts than dodge!)