Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2003, 04:56 AM   #1
hype86
CF Newbie

some q's?

ok so i'm kinda just learning things about cars before i do stuff to my car. Anyways, i was wondering what are some good first starts to improve the performance of a car?

say for example a 2000 civic dx?

Also i see like cold air intake and just high performance intake, cold air intake cools down the air making it better for expanding in the cylinder rite(duno for sure, if that's wrong tell me) and so it's better than just a high performance intake?

Also what's usually done wrong when a car is lowered and is there anyway to tell that it's been done wrong afterwards?

Well that's just a few q's i hope ppl can help me out with, it'd be greatly appreciated.

BTW: not lookin to make it an all show and no go car. i want performance but still looks rather good. Not lookin to make it another rice car, k thx later
hype86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 03:10 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

1. You're on the right track with the cold air intake. The purpose is cold air is denser so it allows the engine to burn more fuel and still maintain the proper air/fuel ratio. Also the cooler air intake charge helps to cool the combustion chambers slightly making pre-ignition less likely. Be aware that most of the current intakes available are simply a duct to the throttle body with an exposed cone element. You do tend to have cold air while the car is in motion but when sitting in traffic the underhood temperatures are high and will negate any improvements. High performance intake is most likely a term for give me your money. 8)

2. Lowering, while simple is also easy to screw up. Don't under any circumstances heat the springs to make them shorter. You have no control of how far they come down or the change of spring rate. Cutting doesn't change the rate unless they are variable rate springs. The hard part here is depending on the spring perches you might have to cut out a complete coil at a time limiting your ability to lower a certain amount. The best way to go is with lowering springs and\or adjustable struts. The drawback of the springs is you have one position. Obviously adjustable struts allow adjustment. Finally make sure you have a complete alignment done afterwards. Many people don't and then wonder why the car handles like crap and wastes tires. Good luck.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 09:07 PM   #3
hype86
CF Newbie

"Be aware that most of the current intakes available are simply a duct to the throttle body with an exposed cone element."

Were u talking about cold air intake? What generates the cold air on the cold air intake?

Also which should be done first, the tires/rims or adding a body kit?

thx
Old 04-10-2003, 11:22 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hype86
"Be aware that most of the current intakes available are simply a duct to the throttle body with an exposed cone element."

Were u talking about cold air intake? What generates the cold air on the cold air intake?

Also which should be done first, the tires/rims or adding a body kit?

thx

Uh yeah, that's what I was talking about. The "cold" air is generated by airflow through the grill while moving forward.

The second question is strictly opinion. Whatever you want first. Personally I would never consider a body kit.

One thing please. Don't perpetuate the bastardization of the english language, you want wheels not rims. Unless you just want to mount the tires and then have no way to attach them to the car.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 04-11-2003, 03:37 AM   #5
hype86
CF Newbie

o

heh sorry youth today, it's the media lol

anyways, i heard about spoon engines and a friend of mine said that if u put a spoon engine in a civic and it'd be super fast. Do u kno what's the deal on those? and how hard is it to source one?

thx again for puttin up wit a newbie ^^
Old 04-11-2003, 03:39 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: o

Quote:
heh sorry youth today, it's the media lol

anyways, i heard about spoon engines and a friend of mine said that if u put a spoon engine in a civic and it'd be super fast. Do u kno what's the deal on those? and how hard is it to source one?

thx again for puttin up wit a newbie ^^

Spoon engine? I'm lost now.

Old 04-12-2003, 03:17 AM   #7
hype86
CF Newbie

spoon

yea well i found out about how to acquire a spoon engine, at inlinefour.com but i dont kno how much they'd raise the hp of a regular '00 civic dx?
Old 04-12-2003, 03:44 AM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Well I looked at the website so now I know what a Spoon engine is, or at least what is decribed. For only $6000 you get what appears to be a balanced and blueprinted but otherwise stock longblock. So if you drop that into your car and change nothing else you'll increase HP by maybe 5. That works out to $1200 per HP. And their $900 header might add another 5 HP. Almost sounds cheap compared to the engine.

In my opinion there are much cheaper ways to upgrade. Maybe your friend will help pay for it.

To answer your question from another post, boring and engine means that you machine the block to enlarge the diameter of the cylinders. Of course you also install pistons of a corresponding size. This increases displacement and is a good start toward higher performance levels.

Old 04-12-2003, 05:23 AM   #9
hype86
CF Newbie

lol

lol geez $1200 per hp.. *whew good thing i consulted b4 considering to get a spoon engine. But wouldnt everything they do to their engine hav much higher hp? since the parts must be higher quality and ability?

and to bore an engine, does that hav to be taken to a special shop to mechanically do that or do auto shops just do that? how much is that usually?

btw, vwhobo, do u use aim or something? and if so could i get ur sn? that way i could ask u stuff easier and not feel like a big loserhead from all these questions lol (if not, it's koo)

thx again
Old 04-12-2003, 06:05 AM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: lol

Quote:
lol geez $1200 per hp.. *whew good thing i consulted b4 considering to get a spoon engine. But wouldnt everything they do to their engine hav much higher hp? since the parts must be higher quality and ability?

and to bore an engine, does that hav to be taken to a special shop to mechanically do that or do auto shops just do that? how much is that usually?

btw, vwhobo, do u use aim or something? and if so could i get ur sn? that way i could ask u stuff easier and not feel like a big loserhead from all these questions lol (if not, it's koo)

thx again

1. It only says they balance and blueprint. That does make an engine more efficient but not alot more power. It says nothing about parts except their special head gasket.

2. Done at a machine shop. Expect to pay from $10 to $50 dollars a hole.

3. I don't know what you mean by aim or sn. Remember I'm an old guy.

Old 04-12-2003, 04:03 PM   #11
Conc3pt
CF Newbie

Aim is a chat program that is basically a free version of AOL, aim is just the messenger though, the SN is the "screenname" you use on aim, hope this helps vwhobo
Conc3pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 06:05 PM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conc3pt
Aim is a chat program that is basically a free version of AOL, aim is just the messenger though, the SN is the "screenname" you use on aim, hope this helps vwhobo

Well ya see that's what makes a forum like this great, everybody can learn from somebody else. I'm still not sure about AIM but I have Windows Messenger, does that help? Thanks for the info.

Old 04-12-2003, 10:13 PM   #13
Conc3pt
CF Newbie

if you want aim, you can go to www.aim.com, and download it, and configure a name, and be chatting in a matter of seconds :o lol you're right about learning from other people, i have learend a lot
Conc3pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 12:07 AM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Well fella's I got the AIM thing set-up.... I think. If you get a chance try me.

Old 04-13-2003, 04:01 AM   #15
hype86
CF Newbie

oh what's ur aim sn?

also this sounds kinda dumb.. but where do u find the engine stamp? i'm trying to find out what type of engine is on this civic dx. I tried but i cant find it, it should either be b16a-b16c rite?